My Delta 88 has converted me into an Oldsmobiler

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2014, 06:34 PM
1988 Delta 88

Although I don't have much to compare it to as it is my first car, I love it and really can't imagine being with anything else. It's a 1988 Royal Brougham with only 75,000 miles on it. While it did have some problems that needed fixing, it was in really good condition overall. Thought I would share a couple of pics.

The Exterior:

The Interior:

I really don't understand why these things fell out of favor in the market. Granted this model year had a few design issues, but they got so much right. It's beautiful, it's got a good amount of power, a touch of luxury, and so much interior space (being really tall this was important for me). They sure don't make them like they used to.

Last edited by illumined; July 27th, 2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Originally left the pics as links, but I changed my mind and decided the whole world should see them
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to ClassicOlds and congratulations on the new car.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; July 27th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, and congrats on finding your car. Yes, for the era those were a very nice car and it looks like the one you have has been preserved well.
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, and congrats on finding your car. Yes, for the era those were a very nice car and it looks like the one you have has been preserved well.

Thanks. I have to wonder, will we see any cars like this again, or are larger cars banished from the production lines for good?
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Seems that the car industry has been mandated for increased fuel economy. There are still a few manufacturers that are trying to hold on to a larger car as the demand is still there. Most of us lived through the days of land yachts, I don't think we will ever get back to those days again
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They still make large cars, they just call them "trucks" now.

Because of Federal fuel economy mandates, starting in the late '70s, vehicles known as "cars" (defined by their gross weight, ie: cargo capacity) have been required to get better and better fuel mileage, but vehicles with larger gross weights initially had no economy requirements, and now have looser ones.

Because of this, these days, if you want a roomy vehicle with plenty of cargo space, that gets 12mpg, you have to get a truck. You can get a truck with air conditioning, power windows, comfy seats, and a smooth ride, which is essentially a car, but a bit farther from the ground, but you can't get a car with these same characteristics.

Since Americans like big cars, they will buy whatever vehicle they can get that fits this description, no matter what it's called, which explains why there was no such thing as a "luxury SUV" (or even a regular SUV) in the 1960s or 1970s, but they came into existence in the 1980s, as economy standards began to push cars to be smaller and smaller.

- Eric
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:23 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I think you have a great car.
I liked my '87 Royale Brougham so much I bought another. Actually it's an '88 Buick Le Sabre, but they are both an H body badge engineered GM "Full Size" no matter whose badge is on the hood.

I wish mine was as in as good shape as yours appears to be
I like the sprightly performance coupled with good gas mileage, and fixing it won't faze a competent weekend mechanic. "pontiacbonnevilleclub.com" is a forum dedicated to these cars, if you can't find an answer to any questions you have about your car on Classic Oldsmobile (unlikely) you will almost certainly find someone who can help you on their site.

Welcome to CO btw.

Roger.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Oldsdruid

Coupe is comparatively rare.

These are very good cars and everyone I ever knew who had one loved it.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by illumined
Actually, you have the "last" Delta 88 as 1988 was the last year that Oldsmobile used the word "Delta" in the name of the 88. Beginning with the 1989 model year and going right through to the end of 88 production with the '99 model year, the car was called simply "Eighty-Eight" or "Eighty-Eight Royale".

From the 1988 Olds brochure:

From the 1989 Olds brochure. No more "Delta":

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Since Americans like big cars, they will buy whatever vehicle they can get that fits this description, no matter what it's called, which explains why there was no such thing as a "luxury SUV" (or even a regular SUV) in the 1960s or 1970s, but they came into existence in the 1980s, as economy standards began to push cars to be smaller and smaller.
Well the SUVs seem to be getting smaller too. My mom last year bought a fairly new-ish SUV from Enterprise, a Hyundai Sante Fe. Although it is a mid-sized SUV it actually has less legroom than her previous car did, I can't really sit comfortably in it for long periods of time. I hate to think what those new, tiny, "Smart Cars" are like.

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I think you have a great car.
I liked my '87 Royale Brougham so much I bought another. Actually it's an '88 Buick Le Sabre, but they are both an H body badge engineered GM "Full Size" no matter whose badge is on the hood.

I wish mine was as in as good shape as yours appears to be
I like the sprightly performance coupled with good gas mileage, and fixing it won't faze a competent weekend mechanic. "pontiacbonnevilleclub.com" is a forum dedicated to these cars, if you can't find an answer to any questions you have about your car on Classic Oldsmobile (unlikely) you will almost certainly find someone who can help you on their site.

Welcome to CO btw.

Roger.

Thanks! Yeah, even if this one is totaled I doubt I would ever go with a "new" car. Even with the design issues mine has it has so much more right that I would stick with it.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Coupe is comparatively rare.

These are very good cars and everyone I ever knew who had one loved it.
Really? I certainly prefer it to the sedans, larger doors make it easier for me to get in and out. This car is more special than I realized. The dealer thought so too, you see those blue license plates? Those plates have a very limited production run, once they're done they'll never be produced again, the dealer put them on before I even contacted him for a test drive. Rare plates for a rare car.

In a few years if I'm in good financial standing I'll have all the little things, the dings from the previous owner, the cassette player, etc, all fixed up and restored almost as if it just rolled off the factory production line. Then it will be a real classic.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Actually, you have the "last" Delta 88 as 1988 was the last year that Oldsmobile used the word "Delta" in the name of the 88. Beginning with the 1989 model year and going right through to the end of 88 production with the '99 model year, the car was called simply "Eighty-Eight" or "Eighty-Eight Royale"
I have no idea why they did that, any one have any theories?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Although I don't have much to compare it to as it is my first car, I love it and really can't imagine being with anything else. It's a 1988 Royal Brougham with only 75,000 miles on it. I really don't understand why these things fell out of favor in the market.
Just my opinion, but I think they fell out of favor because of pricing strategy. Just about all the features of these cars was an option you paid extra for. You could end up buying a Chevy or Pontiac for a lot less coin than one of these cars and still have decent reliable transportation with the same power.

They sure don't make them like they used to.
Ha ha ha, that's what I say about my 72, and what others say about their 55's etc.. In a way I'm glad they don't make them like that anymore. Newer cars are safer IMO and have better creature comforts even if the car is a friggin computer on wheels.
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by Allan R
Just my opinion, but I think they fell out of favor because of pricing strategy. Just about all the features of these cars was an option you paid extra for. You could end up buying a Chevy or Pontiac for a lot less coin than one of these cars and still have decent reliable transportation with the same power.
Sounds like it got GM'd. I read about the recent history of GM and I have to wonder how it took them so long to go bankrupt.

Ha ha ha, that's what I say about my 72, and what others say about their 55's etc.. In a way I'm glad they don't make them like that anymore. Newer cars are safer IMO and have better creature comforts even if the car is a friggin computer on wheels.
Relative to their size they might be safer, but that seems to be negated by the fact that they are getting smaller and smaller, with the Smart Car being an extreme example. I can't imagine one of those holding up too well in a wreck, even a low speed one.
Old August 5th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually, my Sonata isn't that small. And I just had a 2014 Ford Fusion rental and found that in comparison they are every bit as 'mid size' on the outside and more 'big size' on the inside and trunk than the older cars. Maybe that's an unfair comparison though because it's based on only 2 models I've recently driven.
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

That is a great looking Delta 88. I had a white '88 Delta sedan back in '94. That was my first foray into being an Oldsmobile owner. I have been hooked ever since. Welcome to the world of Oldsmobile, you are in for a great ride.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:15 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by tannerblackart
That is a great looking Delta 88. I had a white '88 Delta sedan back in '94. That was my first foray into being an Oldsmobile owner. I have been hooked ever since. Welcome to the world of Oldsmobile, you are in for a great ride.

Thanks. That's great, is yours still on the road? Any long term issues I might run into?
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Thanks. That's great, is yours still on the road? Any long term issues I might run into?
I wish I could say- the ex wife got the car in the divorce. She immediately traded it in. I have no idea where it went from there.

If you faithfully maintain her, that 3800 and 4T60 is going to keep you on the road. You especially want to take care of that one since it is Coupe. I have been looking for one without any success. They are VERY hard to find.
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:08 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by tannerblackart
I wish I could say- the ex wife got the car in the divorce. She immediately traded it in. I have no idea where it went from there.

If you faithfully maintain her, that 3800 and 4T60 is going to keep you on the road. You especially want to take care of that one since it is Coupe. I have been looking for one without any success. They are VERY hard to find.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely hoping it stays on the road for a good long while.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:57 PM

That interior is so plush....nice find
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:39 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by elbole
That interior is so plush....nice find
Thanks.