Local Hero's '78 Delta 88 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Local Hero's '78 Delta 88 Coupe

I've had this car a while but have recently made a few upgrades to it. But first I'll give a little back story.

I was driving a 77 Grand Prix daily for the last decade. It was getting really tired and I was looking for a replacement. I was originally looking for another Grand Prix so that I could part my car out for spares. I wasn't finding anything that was better than what I already had, unless they were full-on restored "show cars."

Then this 78 Delta showed up on my local Craigslist. It immediately spoke to me. Before the GP, I had an 84 Delta Coupe that was a pretty good car. But I love the subtle differences in this body better; mainly the sloping rear window. I called to chat about it and it sounded even better. I went to see it the following night and bought it.

It was originally purchased by an older guy who babied the thing. He kept ALL maintenance records. He had it repainted once about 20 years ago and it still shows well. During that process, the emblems got shaved which didn't bother me because that is something that I'm known for every time I "do" a car anyway. It even came with the original window sticker.

He passed away and his estate sold it to and younger guy who was a friend of the family. That guy was shooting for a psuedo Holiday look which explains the 14" Cutlass wheels. He also added a custom bent dual exhaust system, new radiator, master cylinder, alternator, belts and hoses.

Then he decided that he wanted a motorcycle and already had some other toy cars. He wasn't emotionally attached to this one and decided to let it go. He only had it about nine months. We haggled a bit and agreed on $4,000. It had 66,000 miles.

Here is how it looked when I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1759 (640x480).jpg (245.8 KB, 52 views)
IMG_1760 (640x480).jpg (218.9 KB, 42 views)
IMG_1754 (640x480).jpg (253.0 KB, 57 views)
IMG_1763.jpg (77.6 KB, 51 views)
IMG_1764 (640x480).jpg (226.2 KB, 47 views)
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:42 PM

As I've been going through the car, I found a few surprises. It had a brand new K&N air filter in the housing. I also found an aftermarket transmission cooler. That cause me to scratch my head a little bit.

Then I found a harness for hook-up for trailer lights and evidence that the car had air shocks on it at one time although they were not present anymore. No sign of a hitch anymore either. I got rid of the harness. But that explained the trans cooler. He was likely pulling a small boat or camper at one time.

Then I found the infamous broken front coil spring. I tried cutting the same amount off the other side but it made the car too low in the front. So I replaced BOTH front springs but not before cutting a full coil off the new ones. I also replaced the shocks all around, and sway bar links. While I was at it, I hung a GM B-Body rear sway bar under there that I had laying around. This is the fourth different car I've had it on. New pads and rotors on the front and new drums and shoes on the rear and the brakes were fresh as well.

In keeping with the Holiday theme, I went one step further and stepped up to Wheel Vintiques 15X8 Olds Rally wheels. To take advantage of the wider wheels, I beefed up the tires as well to 255/60/15 all around.

For the body, all it took was a good clean-up. I DID replace the rear bumper corner fillers. I cut and buffed the paint and it looks almost too good for daily driving.

I replace all the rubber connections in the fuel system, rebuilt the carb, and stuffed a new steel timing chain set, water pump and fuel pump in the front of the motor.

In the interior, I hid a CD player with Sirius XM capability and iPod hook up along with 4 new speakers. I recovered the drooping headliner and sail panels and converted the clock to quartz.

The end result is something that I'm really enjoying wheeling 55+ miles round trip on my commute everyday. The 2:41 ratio in the rear isn't too hard in the gas mileage department either.

The problem became that it would have been a shame to drive this thing in the harsh Cleveland winters. So while I drive it daily from April until around Thanksgiving, I needed a winter beater.

That led to me refurbishing the Grand Prix afterall, only this time with Olds power thanks to the help of some guys on this board who helped me get the parts I needed. The 14" Cutlass wheels continue to live on that car now as well. Oldsmontiac anyone?

This is how the Delta looks today.
Attached Images
IMG_2795_640X480.jpg (127.7 KB, 37 views)
IMG_2798_640X480.jpg (108.1 KB, 35 views)
IMG_2800_640X480.jpg (117.4 KB, 42 views)
IMG_2793_640X480.jpg (79.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Local Hero; May 9th, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Administrator

You've made a nice car eve nicer.
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:14 AM
Lansing built

Cool looking rig. I am looking for one of those with console and buckets, at a reasonable price.

Pat
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Beautiful car. My Dad had one new in 78, black like yours. I personally like the 77-79 88 2 door the best of all "large" Olds', even thought I bet your car is actually smaller that the 73-77 Cutlass. What a great deal also.
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Old School Olds

Very nice. How about a shot of the Winter beater?
I had a 69 Model J years ago.
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Sweet.

Always nice to see a well preserved original go to the right buyer.

Too many of these end up as hideous hacked up donks.

My father (later me) had a black & red 79 sedan.

Love those 77 GP's too.

Probably my favorite of the 73-77 A-bodied cars.
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Nice and clean
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
How about a shot of the Winter beater?
Oh man! I'm about to be embarrassed. Maybe I can lessen the blow....

I bought the GP in 2003 with 140,000 miles. It was pretty clean as well. I went through it mechanically, added dual exhaust and touched up the body. I was never crazy about the color. But it didn't need a lot. The directional billet wheels were leftovers from another project of mine. The tires were good so I went with them. (first pic)

Then as you can imagine, 10+ Cleveland winters started to take their toll even though I washed it religiously at least twice a week in the winter. (second pic). I drove the thing every day year round and racked up another 110,000 miles.

Once I got the Delta, the GP's days were supposed to be numbered. I even raced it at my local oval track in their Spectator Drags and banged up the right side a little bit. But it kept on going. I planned to replace the whole car but I couldn't find anything in my budget that appealed to me. I wanted to stay in generally the same GM era so I could part the car out for spares. I wasn't finding anything.

Then I had the bright idea to just fix mine up a little bit. The frame was good, heater worked great, suspension was all good, floors were good, trans shifted fine. I just couldn't keep engine oil in it anymore. What wasn't burning was leaking out of every seal.

The search was on for a used Pontiac engine. But nothing affordable was showing up. But there were many Olds engines to pick from. I figured if I swapped to Olds, I'd have a running parts car for either the Delta Coupe or my wife's 75 Vert. I didn't want to go through the Pontiac engine because I was planning to just do the swap in a weekend and the car wouldn't be down that long.

Found a 350 Olds and went through it on a strict budget. I took it all apart and inspected everything. All looked great. Seller claimed it had about 70,000 miles on it. I believe him. I cleaned everything and put it back together with a new oil pump, timing chain, freeze plugs, water pump, fuel pump, and distributor. I used the carb, alternator and power steering pump off the Pontiac motor. But I didn't do any machine work.

Then I did some SUPER HACK bodywork on it and added a few old school NASCAR details just for fun. In the winter I run stock steel wheels with studded tires. I've since driven it another 10,000 miles in this configuration. With winter over here for now, in the "off-season" it still does duty hauling the Two Terrors along with their muddy cleats to baseball and football practices and anywhere our 70 lb. Golden Retriever needs to go.

I'm going to touch it up again here pretty soon. But it'll be easy. It's just Rustoleum on a foam roller. LMAO
Attached Images
5. finished PS.jpg (49.7 KB, 81 views)
IMG_2428 (640X480).JPG (71.4 KB, 35 views)
IMG_2573 resized.jpg (102.4 KB, 29 views)
IMG_2619 resized.jpg (112.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Local Hero; May 11th, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM

some more...
Attached Images
IMG_2801 (640X480).JPG (116.2 KB, 36 views)
IMG_2803 (640X480).JPG (90.7 KB, 76 views)
IMG_2805 (640X480).JPG (93.3 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Local Hero; May 11th, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Old School Olds

Very cool Mark. After all a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
I'm a firm believer of driving 'em till the wheels fall off.
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:21 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

nice mark, I am a Pontiac fan as well. I had a 77 with t tops same color as yours that I sold last year. still have a 76 t top anniversary model. these cars had real style unlike most of todays offerings.