Key won't turn in ignition, can't remove cover either

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Key won't turn in ignition, can't remove cover either

Short version: Cannot turn key to on position but turns back to accesory just fine.
To fix this took apart steering but cannot remove upper shroud (it houses the ignition cylinder)

Long Version:
I own a 1975 Delta 88 Royale Convertible. The car has sat for 10 years (gas leak). Unfortunately, I have moved in the last 10 years. To move the vehicle, I tried to put it in neutral, but could not turn the key to the "RUN" position to move the transmission lever. So the transmission was forced. In other words, we yanked on the gear selector hard enough to change transmission without using the key.
I am now trying to see what I can do to start her up again. I still cannot turn the key to on, but can get to the accessory position just fine (goes backwards one). To resolve this I started tearing down the steering column. I have made it all the way down to the cover (it houses the ignition cylinder/lock) but cannot pull the shroud off. What am I missing?

Any help/advice appreciated.
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Past Administrator

I believe what you need to locate and repair is the neutral start switch. Welcome to CO.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Just the facts...

sounds like the lock cylinder/tumblers/key is hosed. try working the key in the cylinder as you try to turn it. up and down, side to side, in and out, kinda all at once. and you can try turning the wheel while doing the preceding. good luck! a locksmith may be in order...

bill
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, I'll see what i can do.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I think the lock cylinder is ok. It was removed and turns just fine on its own. I was trying to get to the ignition actuator to see if it was damaged but cannot get the upper shroud off ( for some unknown reason). Is the neutral start switch at the bottom of the steering column? Is so, then I know what you are referring to.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

a wild guess but uh what gear is the tranny in while you are trying to start it?????

maybe it needs to go back in park? you could have broke something in the tranny by forcing it into gear but i doubt it, is the shifter column or console? im just shootin ideas ....

EDIT: PIX PLEASE!!

Last edited by bdub217; July 20th, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: edit: pix please?
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Yes, it needs to go back to park at the bottom of the column, under the hood!
Disconnect it there, and put the lever in park.
Unless you've bent the long rod on the column, the key should come out, or turn to start.
The linkage from the column to the trans should have been what bent when forced, but I'd replace all of it - including the column, otherwise you'll be chasing alighnment problems for years!
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Is this a tilt steering column?

I've seen this problem caused by a broken rack gear, but it is a tilt column only problem. I did find a picture if a rack gear.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...uator-gear.php
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

yeah, pretty easy fix if you ask me, shouldn't be too spendy either. it's a bar with a spring and some bolts, maybe a seal to the tranny if that's broke too, probably a few more pieces i'm missing but all in all a pretty straight forward job.

.....if i had money i'd tell you what i'd do i'd go all around and help an olds or two
....... fix me an olds and cruise it up and down the road...... im bad song writer i'll stick to working on things.

Last edited by bdub217; July 20th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM

The car is currently in park, but I can still shift it to the other gears if I push hard enough. Have tried turning the key in every gear.

It is a tilt steering column.

Automatic transmission on column.

Any ideas on why the upper shroud would be difficult to remove? If I can get it off I can look at the actuator rack gear. As of now I cannot seem to pull it off, hits something near the top.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Will check on the rod.

Good luck to you all on your own "little" projects
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

take the dash out.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM

[IMG]https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/IMAG0460uppershroud.jpgIMAG0460uppershroud.jpg

The upper shroud that I cannot remove
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:25 AM

The steering column as of nowIMAG0461steeringcolumnwithuppershroud.jpg
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sestius
....Any ideas on why the upper shroud would be difficult to remove? If I can get it off I can look at the actuator rack gear. As of now I cannot seem to pull it off, hits something near the top...

I can't see anything in the pictures that could be holding it. You have the levers out, the lock cylinder out, 3 screws on the body and it should come out. If it would help jog the mind there are several how-to videos on YouTube. Just go to the main page and search on GM tilt steering column repair. Here's one on a 1976 that isn't bad.

If that rack breaks it binds up the ignition linkage and limits the amount you can turn the key as you described in your OP.

If you have to tear it down that far go the extra distance and Locktite the 4 bolts on the bottom piece while you're there. The pivot pin puller is nice but a slide hammer with the correct screw will work.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM

Final Update:

Removed upper shroud after lots of pulling and some hammering.

Seems the lock pin was stuck (was coming with the upper shroud instead of staying in place.) Ignition, rack, gear actuator all move fine now and seems the pin was not only holding the shroud on but keeping me from starting the car.

Course car still wont start, starter tested fine and starting to redo some wires, a fuse was blown, but that is a whole nother thread.

Thanks for the help all.
IMAG0460uppershroudshowinglockpin.jpg

Lock pin in upper shroud, was stuck in place and would not slide back out of shroud

IMAG0464showinglockpin.jpg

Lock pin after shroud was removed
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

i was gonna point that out but didnt in fear of getting flamed for being wrong.......ugh always go with your gut.

doesn't it go, ignition -> ecu/fuelpump -> starter -> distributor -> spark ?

Last edited by bdub217; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:20 AM.