Anyone here have a '76 Crown Landau?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Gearhead

Anyone here have a '76 Crown Landau?

I was doing some searching on Google the other night, and picture of a 1976 Delta 88 Royale Crown Landau popped up. I had forgotten about those. My dad was an Olds dealer and I remember we got one in white over white with the polycast wheels. I thought that was a really striking car. Does anyone here own one?
Old September 20th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Jon, that would be a SWEET car! As I recall, I saw one for sale recently on CL.

I thought the SSIVs were only available in 71/72?

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:54 AM

You mean the 2 door model 88 with the stainless steel roof band and closed rear quarter windows? I think that was a one year only model for 76 to try and take some sales from the 98 coupe which did not happen. No I don't have one, however, there is one that shows up at a local cruise night once in a while and it's that bright lime green color with a white padded landau top with matching green factory wheel covers. This one has the sport mirrors too. Very flashy.
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:02 AM

That's certainly different, and interesting. I've never seen one. I wonder if they had problems with Chrysler, who used "Crown Coupe" as a name for a trim option on the Cordoba, I believe starting in 1977, and through 79. Perhaps Chrysler patented the name first? By the way, I did have a 77 Chrysler Cordoba Crown Coupe, with a factory manual sunroof, 400 4bbl, luxury velour interior. Ran great, even with the thermoquad.
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:14 AM

Too bad that Cordoba you had didn't have "rich Corinthian leather" interior.
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Olds64

Well, I certainly wouldn't argue the point, it's been long ago. But I do recall that the one dad ordered had a different wheel. It did not have wheel covers, it was an actual wheel of some kind that I hadn't seen before.
Old September 20th, 2018, 12:48 PM

IMHO, the body color wheel cover in the pic I added is ugly. I would rather have the SSIVs or even a standard period wheel cover if not an aftermarket rim. I suppose even "back in the day" one could order upgraded rims on a new car either from the factory or from the dealer.
Old September 20th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Too bad that Cordoba you had didn't have "rich Corinthian leather" interior.
Every time I see a Cordoba mentioned online, someone always says that. I'm too young to remember those commercials. I did, however, have a 78 Cordoba with a white leather interior. That one also had a 400 4bbl Thermoquad, also known as a "thermobog". Plastic POS. I really wish I'd known then what I know now...
Old September 21st, 2018, 05:41 PM
Oldsdruid

Little known fact: the RCL was the closest thing there was to a production Hurst/Olds that year, as the conversion job was done by the Hurst shops. I have the RCL literature with all the part numbers and Hurst warranty info packed up somewhere.
Old September 21st, 2018, 05:43 PM

That is a good looking car! I can't say I've ever seen one before and never new it exsisted. That's the last year for that body style before they down sized and the last year for the 455. In '77 they started the corporate engine shuffle on the 88's, that didn't go over so well.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:20 AM
Forward into the Past

1976 was the final year for those monster full sized cars, so that could only have been a one-year option for that body style. My dad was an Oldsmobile district sales manager and I remember him having one of those as a company car. He usually swapped out company cars cars every 3,000-5,000 miles or up to 7,000 or 8,000 miles if sales were really down. While the vast majority of them have just kind of blurred together in my memory that is one of the few that has stood out. If I recall correctly, it was silver with a burgundy interior and padded roof. I remember riding in the back seat one day and lifting the plastic panel just a little bit where the quarter window would normally have been and was surprised to find the quarter glass was present, just covered up. I seem to remember Dad wasn't too thrilled with that roof treatment because it created a huge rear quarter blind spot and I didn't really like sitting in the back seat and not being able to see out the window. I think what they were going for aesthetically was to make the Eighty-Eight coupe look more like a Toronado at a somewhat lower price point, much as the LSS in the '90s brought some of the Aurora's features to the Eighty-Eight for about $8,000-$10,000 less.

Last edited by Human; September 23rd, 2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Human
1976 was the final year for those monster full sized cars, so that could only have been a one-year option for that body style. My dad was an Oldsmobile district sales manager and I remember him having one of those as a company car. He usually swapped out company cars cars every 3,000-5,000 miles or up to 7,000 or 8,000 miles if sales were really down. While the vast majority of them have just kind of blurred together in my memory that is one of the few that has stood out. If I recall correctly, it was silver with a burgundy interior and padded roof. I remember riding in the back seat one day and lifting the plastic panel just a little bit where the quarter window would normally have been and was surprised to find the quarter glass was present, just covered up. I seem to remember Dad wasn't too thrilled with that roof treatment because it created a huge rear quarter blind spot and I didn't really like sitting in the back seat and not being able to see out the window. I think what they were going for aesthetically was to make the Eighty-Eight coupe look more like a Toronado at a somewhat lower price point, much as the LSS in the '90s brought some of the Aurora's features to the Eighty-Eight for about $8,000-$10,000 less.
Sounds like the next body style Eldorado/Riviera/Toronado with the fake convertible top, blocking off the opera windows.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 02:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jon442
My dad was an Olds dealer and I remember we got one in white over white with the polycast wheels.
They were never an option for the C body cars after 1972. If he had one with polycast wheels it's likely he had them ordered through the parts department and put on the car. Here's the promo brochure that shows the only wheel discs available for the B/C body cars (Option 15). The polycast wheels from 71/72 will fit the D88 series because the bolt pattern is 5x4.75. The Ninety Eight/Custom Cruiser both used 5x5" bolt pattern.

Well yes and no. Yes, they were RPO P05 aka Super Stock IV wheels and only offered in 71/72 as an option for D88 models. They obviously could be ordered from the parts counter until production stopped on them.

Originally Posted by Jon442
Well, I certainly wouldn't argue the point, it's been long ago. But I do recall that the one dad ordered had a different wheel. It did not have wheel covers, it was an actual wheel of some kind that I hadn't seen before.
And yet the D88 models only had wheel discs (with an option for spoke covers) during that time. The Crown Landau had color coded wheel discs. Same thing as the 73 and up Cutlass Salon models. Personally I don't think it looks that bad, although at the time I thought it looked somewhat cheesy.

I really do like the SSIV wheels on the Delta series. IMO they really make it look classy and sporty at the same time.

Old September 23rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
Gearhead

I guess after 40 years my memory is foggy. I would have bet the farm it had different wheels, but obviously it couldn't have. It still was a very striking car, though.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Landau concept, as you mentioned covered a portion of the quarter window. This is exactly the same idea the 73 HO used too.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jon, is this what you're looking for as per your PM?

Old September 24th, 2018, 12:09 PM

I knew I saw one for sale recently. It sure is a cool car.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...693739845.html
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What a beautiful car! BTW, those wheel covers are the same ones used on the 73 Custom Cruiser and Ninety Eight. They are HEAVY 2 piece construction bolted together on the back side. Also a point of interest, for the D88 Royal Brougham which this car is based on, the 455/TH400 was required, not an option.
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Oldsdruid

Not necessarily. Most I've seen were 350 cars, though in certain parts of the country (Republik of Kalifornia in 1974 notably) the 455 may have been required as the small engines weren't emissions certified in the B car. Likewise 455 weren't CA emissions certified for the A car, which is why there were a lot more 350-engined 1974 Hurst/Olds than 455. It was the only way they could legally be sold in California.

Allan, double-check your bolt circle for these year 88s. They all had 5x5 bolt circles. The 5x4.75 appeared in 1977 88s unless equipped with 403.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:32 PM

My First Car was the 76 Crown Landau 88

Originally Posted by blakes7
Sounds like the next body style Eldorado/Riviera/Toronado with the fake convertible top, blocking off the opera windows.
I bought it used in 1982 from a neighbor who ended up getting a company vehicle. It was cream and burgundy with the burgundy velour interior. I had all the options except power windows. It was a beautiful car and it really was striking with that chrome bar over the landau roof. I had the wheel covers, but they were not color coded, but chrome instead. They say you always remember your first car. I still have the window sticker from it and it was $6,230 new. I bought it with 52,000 miles on it for $2,500. It's fun to see the pictures that others have shared. I have never seen another one out there. Thanks for sharing!
Old October 25th, 2018, 09:47 PM

76 Delta 88 Crown Landau

There was one in Smokey and the Bandit. Dark blue with white vinyl top and wire hubcaps. It appeared twice in the background.
Old August 30th, 2020, 03:43 PM

Yes, we have one!

Originally Posted by Herbie
You mean the 2 door model 88 with the stainless steel roof band and closed rear quarter windows? I think that was a one year only model for 76 to try and take some sales from the 98 coupe which did not happen. No I don't have one, however, there is one that shows up at a local cruise night once in a while and it's that bright lime green color with a white padded landau top with matching green factory wheel covers. This one has the sport mirrors too. Very flashy.
We purchased a blue 76 Olds 88 Crown Landua. We have a paper (used to be attached under the hood) that stated ot was factory altered for the Hearst Corporation. Not sure if this was for ALL CROWN LANDUAS??? Only thing about ours, is we do not have the matching blue wheel covers. We only have the Oldsmobile spoked wheel covers.

Old August 30th, 2020, 03:57 PM

1976 rcl

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Little known fact: the RCL was the closest thing there was to a production Hurst/Olds that year, as the conversion job was done by the Hurst shops. I have the RCL literature with all the part numbers and Hurst warranty info packed up somewhere.
Your info you have about the Hurst warranty with part #s would be GREAT to have! Our car has a tag that is to be under hood) stating it was altered for the Hurst corp. It would be nice to actually know how much the car is worth now a days. We LOVE our car!

Old August 30th, 2020, 07:04 PM
Oldsdruid

Sadly, no more than a regular Delta Royale coupe, except in hardcore Olds circles. And as you've seen sometimes Oldsmobile people don't know the RCL existed.

Anyhow, glad to have you and your unusual Olds here. If I can find the RCL stuff I'll be happy to make copies for you. One of those has long been a bucket list car for me but tough to find a nice one in this area.

A set of SSIV Polycast wheels as seen in pic of the blue 88 would make your car. I have a set on my 76 98 Regency and they changed the whole character of the car, from stodgy to the sporty luxury of earlier Ninety Eights.
Old August 31st, 2020, 04:39 AM

Tracy, welcome to the site. That's a beautiful Olds! Post some more pics when you get a chance.
Old March 15th, 2021, 12:58 PM

76 Olds Landau - modified by Hurst Olds.

I do - it's a 76 Olds Royal 2 dr hardtop w/landau roof- white on white - never winter driven - 42,000 miles - owned since new
Maroon interior. Needs to be painted and bumpers re chromed.

Last edited by Mary; March 15th, 2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Needed to add something.
Old July 11th, 2021, 07:42 AM

How many made?

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Sadly, no more than a regular Delta Royale coupe, except in hardcore Olds circles. And as you've seen sometimes Oldsmobile people don't know the RCL existed.

Anyhow, glad to have you and your unusual Olds here. If I can find the RCL stuff I'll be happy to make copies for you. One of those has long been a bucket list car for me but tough to find a nice one in this area.

A set of SSIV Polycast wheels as seen in pic of the blue 88 would make your car. I have a set on my 76 98 Regency and they changed the whole character of the car, from stodgy to the sporty luxury of earlier Ninety Eights.
Any idea how MANY of these cars were made in 1976? That is one thing we are having a hard time finding!
Our body man said someday he would love to paint our car for us, because all the chrome & glass is in EXCELLENT condition!
Thanks for the info so far
Our '76 Delta 88 RCL

Last edited by Tracy Anderson-Rosno; July 11th, 2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old July 11th, 2021, 08:00 AM

At car show near me

Tracy, welcome to the site. That's a beautiful Olds! Post some more pics when you get a chance.

Want to know PRODUCTION #'s in 1976 for the RCL?? ANY HELP WITH THAT WOULD BE GREAT! I cant find anything!
Old July 11th, 2021, 09:00 AM
Forward into the Past

I have no hard numbers but the fact that they were modified by a third party would suggest very low production numbers as it was probably a built-to-order option package that would not have just been run off the line as a matter of course. It's the sort of thing a dealer might have ordered one of as a showroom piece but would not have filled the lot with duplicates. The one Dad had as a company car was built very early in the model year as I remember riding in it to the N.C. State Fair, which would have been in October of '75; thus, it was likely ordered by someone in the Charlotte zone office to be their personal car. Employees would often order a car when the new models came out in the fall and have it put into company service in order to purchase it at a 'brass hat' discount.

Oldsmobile did continue this sporty theme in the downsized Eighty-Eights of the late '70s with a package called the Holiday Coupe, which included some sharp looking Super Stock wheels with a unique center and borrowed the Cutlass Supreme's (or was it the Salon's) bucket seats and center console. Most had a padded landau top (sans stainless steel band) and many sported a two-tone paint job. Here's an example. My seventh grade homeroom teacher had one like it in a blue two-tone. I always liked that car.
Old July 11th, 2021, 11:05 AM

'76 delta 88 rcl

I have no hard numbers but the fact that they were modified by a third party would suggest very low production numbers as it was probably a built-to-order option package that would not have just been run off the line as a matter of course. It's the sort of thing a dealer might have ordered one of as a showroom piece but would not have filled the lot with duplicates. The one Dad had as a company car was built very early in the model year as I remember riding in it to the N.C. State Fair, which would have been in October of '75; thus, it was likely ordered by someone in the Charlotte zone office to be their personal car. Employees would often order a car when the new models came out in the fall and have it put into company service in order to purchase it at a 'brass hat' discount.

Oldsmobile did continue this sporty theme in the downsized Eighty-Eights of the late '70s with a package called the Holiday Coupe, which included some sharp looking Super Stock wheels with a unique center and borrowed the Cutlass Supreme's (or was it the Salon's) bucket seats and center console. Most had a padded landau top (sans stainless steel band) and many sported a two-tone paint job. Here's an example. My seventh grade homeroom teacher had one like it in a blue two-tone. I always liked that car.
Probably why I can't find the #'s I would like. Thanks for info.
As I stated before, we do have the tag saying it was "altered" by the Hurst corporation; and we have the paper work that shows the transferring between states to the Hurst Corp. Guy we bought it from is to send us the "badges" that also came on/with car.
It's definitely a keeper! 😁

Last edited by Tracy Anderson-Rosno; July 22nd, 2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old July 12th, 2021, 09:09 AM

Oldsmobile did continue this sporty theme in the downsized Eighty-Eights of the late '70s with a package called the Holiday Coupe...
My dad; Oldsguy, and I got bucket seats and a console for his 69 Delta 88 out of a 78 Holiday 88 20 years ago. As I recall, the Holiday 88 even had T-tops. Talk about a bad@$$ car!
Old July 12th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Forward into the Past

My dad; Oldsguy, and I got bucket seats and a console for his 69 Delta 88 out of a 78 Holiday 88 20 years ago. As I recall, the Holiday 88 even had T-tops. Talk about a bad@$$ car!
Yes, T-tops and sliding sunroofs were both options (not on the same car, obviously), which really took it to a different level from the conventional Delta 88 aesthetic. They really were sharp looking cars, especially with the two-tone paint and tasteful "Holiday" badging on the C-pillars. Oldsmobile was sometimes a bit remiss about little details like that. Another fun one from that era were the 1977 Indy 500 Pace Car replicas in a striking black and silver two-tone paint scheme with red super stock wheels and a red interior. The actual pace cars had the roof cut away from the windshield to the C-pillar (no convertibles in those days) but the production replicas could be ordered with T-tops or sliding sunroofs. Curiously, the examples of those I've seen have had bench front seats. Seems to me that exterior aesthetic would have cried aloud for buckets.
Old July 13th, 2021, 04:33 AM

According to my dad, his favorite Oldsmobile he owned was his 78 Delta 88 coupe. He said it was reliable, beautiful and a pleasure to drive. Since he owned it when I was younger I never got a chance to drive it. I did drive his 76 Regency 98 coupe though. Even with the J heads and a smog motor it was one of the most comfortable and streetable cars I've ever driven.