1974 Delta 88 heater core needs replaced, ???

Old September 29th, 2014, 11:51 AM

1974 Delta 88 heater core needs replaced, ???

Hello all. I just got home my 74 Delta 88 Royale. I am totally new to this car, G body?
I know I have to put a heater core in it, classic smell, fog put on inside window when defrost turned on.
This is a NON AC car and appears to be a bare bones control system, no automatic anything on it. I have good heat just leaking.
How hard is it to replace the core in this boat? I can see the whole heater box on the pass side/middle of the car. What am I in for to do this?

Thanks

Tim
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM

This is a B-body car, and you would do well to get yourself a copy of the 1974 Factory Service Manual. These appear on ebay all the time.

Here's one for $8.00 plus $8.00 shipping. There are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Oldsmob...0a7963&vxp=mtr

I have the '73 manual, and I would think the procedure is identical as the full-size Oldsmobiles were pretty much the same in this regard for '71 through '76.

The procedure is not trivial. The heater case and core are removed from inside the car, not from under the hood, and requires disassembling the right side of the dashboard.

From the '73 manual:

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove four heater case attaching nuts to dash panel. (These are accessed from under the hood according to the accompanying diagram.)
3. Drain radiator below heater level and disconnect heater hoses.
4. Disconnect temperature cable, defroster cable, and vacuum hose from heater case.
5. Remove defroster duct to case attaching screw.
6. Remove right half of right hand trim panel (the part with the glovebox - removal of this is detailed in a separate part of the manual).
7. Remove heater case from inside car.
8. Remove heater core from case.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:32 PM

thanks, I will pick up the manual from ebay right now.
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
Hello all. I just got home my 74 Delta 88 Royale. I am totally new to this car, G body?
I know I have to put a heater core in it, classic smell, fog put on inside window when defrost turned on.
This is a NON AC car and appears to be a bare bones control system, no automatic anything on it. I have good heat just leaking.
How hard is it to replace the core in this boat? I can see the whole heater box on the pass side/middle of the car. What am I in for to do this?

Thanks

Tim
Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is a B-body car, and you would do well to get yourself a copy of the 1974 Factory Service Manual. These appear on ebay all the time.

Here's one for $8.00 plus $8.00 shipping. There are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Oldsmob...0a7963&vxp=mtr

I have the '73 manual, and I would think the procedure is identical as the full-size Oldsmobiles were pretty much the same in this regard for '71 through '76.

The procedure is not trivial. The heater case and core are removed from inside the car, not from under the hood, and requires disassembling the right side of the dashboard.

From the '73 manual:

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove four heater case attaching nuts to dash panel. (These are accessed from under the hood according to the accompanying diagram.)
3. Drain radiator below heater level and disconnect heater hoses.
4. Disconnect temperature cable, defroster cable, and vacuum hose from heater case.
5. Remove defroster duct to case attaching screw.
6. Remove right half of right hand trim panel (the part with the glovebox - removal of this is detailed in a separate part of the manual).
7. Remove heater case from inside car.
8. Remove heater core from case.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Hello and welcome to the world of full-sized Oldsmobiles!

Jaunty is pretty much spot on with the how-to on the heater core removal/installation. The only thing I'd point out is that the dash is different on a '73 vs. '74. '74 - '76 is pretty much exactly the same and to get to the heater core, the whole lower dash has to come out. Not overly difficult but once it's out, the heater case will be staring you in the face. I actually made a quick little video on how to remove the lower dash. I did this for a friend that needed a little help replacing his radio but it's been coming in handy for other uses as well. Check it out. I hope it helps.

The service manual will be a key tool in any work you do on your 88.

By the way, we typically require pics of all members' cars on here

John
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM

I just got it last night, I will be taking pics tonight to share.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Taking the dash apart to R&R the core may be the small problem. Finding a new NON-A/C heater core may be the issue as the majority of GM B & C body cars came with factory air conditioning by that time. Make sure you specify it is a non-A/C car when ordering the core. No fun taking the dash apart and find out the new part won't go in.

Where was that youtube the first time I dropped the dash out of my Regency? I finally got to where I could have it out in 5-10 minutes.
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:34 AM

I have searched a little on the net, partsgeek I think it was that listed a NON AC car core. For now I am just going to bypass it.
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:38 AM

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product...FeQ7MgodPhsAUQ
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:40 AM

http://www.completeradiators.com/par...HeaterZZCores/
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Taking the dash apart to R&R the core may be the small problem. Finding a new NON-A/C heater core may be the issue as the majority of GM B & C body cars came with factory air conditioning by that time. Make sure you specify it is a non-A/C car when ordering the core. No fun taking the dash apart and find out the new part won't go in.

Where was that youtube the first time I dropped the dash out of my Regency? I finally got to where I could have it out in 5-10 minutes.

HA, sorry I only just shot that video a few weeks ago after my friend mentioned he needed help replacing the radio in his '76 98.

I have to admit, I didn't know there was a difference in the heater cores for a/c vs. non a/c cars. I've only owned one '76 98 without air (amazingly enough, it was a Regency!) and I didn't pay attention to things like this because it was a parts car. What is different about the heater core if the car doesn't have a/c?
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Yea you would think the core would be the same AC or not. Well it appears they are out there. Prob make it a winter project. I ordered my shop manual for the car so once that it in I will study the project it will take to replace. I dropped a heater box on a 1965 Bonny non ac car it was not too hard other than the one bold you had to get too from the outside in the engine bay and one sorta under the car.
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Yea you would think the core would be the same AC or not. Well it appears they are out there. Prob make it a winter project. I ordered my shop manual for the car so once that it in I will study the project it will take to replace. I dropped a heater box on a 1965 Bonny non ac car it was not too hard other than the one bold you had to get too from the outside in the engine bay and one sorta under the car.

If memory serves correctly, you'll find that same bolt on your Olds

By the way, I saw some pics of your 88 on another post. She looks pretty nice, good job picking her up!
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
If memory serves correctly, you'll find that same bolt on your Olds

By the way, I saw some pics of your 88 on another post. She looks pretty nice, good job picking her up!

I traded a 71 Chevelle for this 88 and a 87 Mone Carlo SS Aerocoupe, in awesome shape. 2 for 1 deal.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:38 AM

I traded a 71 Chevelle for this 88 and a 87 Mone Carlo SS Aerocoupe, in awesome shape. 2 for 1 deal.

nice! 2 is always better than 1 !
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:40 AM

IT took me a week to pull the trigger and the next day after first looking at the two cars I got I told the owner no thanks but it just keep eating at me all week, so I did the pro and con list and pulled the trigger.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:40 AM
Oldsdruid

I'd say you made a good trade. 69-72 Chevelles are common as dirt, or are around here anyway. A big Olds (any 71-75 GM B-body FTM) ragtop and an AeroCoupe are seldom seen and way more interesting.

They might not get as much attention at a show as a Chevelle, but I'm to the point you've seen one 69-72 Chevelle and especially 69 Camaro, you've pretty much seen them all. Went to a small-town street festival last weekend and of 130 or so cars in their car show, counted 7 69-72 Chevelles and 11 69 Camaros, and none of them anything special.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:50 AM

The one I had me and the wife, dating at the time, bought in 1990 as our first car, sold to in laws which he restored in 2000 and we bought it last year from them. So it had been in the fam for some time. It was teal with black stripes which got tons of compliments on the color but past that it did not do much for me as I thought it would. And like you said car shows have tons of Chevelles, Mustangs, Camaro's which is fine but I rather bring a rare car to shows, cruise ins so I am the only one there typically. May not win with what I have but I enjoy them.
Everywhere I went I got compliments on the Chevelle cause of the color. I thought I would lose that cause it does make you feel good to get that attn but the 1st time I drove the Monte, got as many compliments. Drove by a house that was getting built, heard one guy yell to his buddy working with him, LOOK A AEROCOUPE, these dudes were 25 age range. I don't think I will get the same remarks on the olds but with the top down and that vaste range of white interior it looks good.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM

Bought my rad hoses today, cost about 40 bucks in total for gates hoses. Such a rip that two hoses for my wife's Xk8 jag cost 150 and then some for both and they are no more fancy then the ones for the olds.
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Well the heater core is out. Not a bad job pulling the box. Ganna be fun getting the core tubes and the bolts to hit all the holes at the same time.
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:06 PM

Nah shouldn't be too bad. Take a pic of that non a/c core for us.
Old October 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM

1974 88 NON AC Heater Core Pics old/new

Here are the pics of the old and new core I have now. The new one is a tad bit taller but should fit fine. They did take a short cut on the larger tube if ya look close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG1627.jpg (53.6 KB, 14 views)
IMAG1628.jpg (37.8 KB, 13 views)
IMAG1629.jpg (40.2 KB, 16 views)
IMAG1630.jpg (109.6 KB, 17 views)
Old October 7th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Boy the new one looks a hair bit taller. I hope it fits, looks like the tubes are at the same tallness, just more height to the unit.
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Well the new one fit. I did message the housing around the core with a small hammer, namely up top at the outlet tubes then it dropped right in. Fastened down the one bracket on the inside with the core, goes between the tubes, and after a lot of cussing trying to get it all lined up with the duct and the housing bolts the tubes and 3 of the 4 bolts dropped right in their holes, after a little rocking back and forth and tweaking the last bolt a hair it dropped in and it all buttoned back down. Just need to hook up the level cables and I am done.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Well the new one fit. I did message the housing around the core with a small hammer, namely up top at the outlet tubes then it dropped right in. Fastened down the one bracket on the inside with the core, goes between the tubes, and after a lot of cussing trying to get it all lined up with the duct and the housing bolts the tubes and 3 of the 4 bolts dropped right in their holes, after a little rocking back and forth and tweaking the last bolt a hair it dropped in and it all buttoned back down. Just need to hook up the level cables and I am done.

Nice job! I'd have to see an A/C unit next to this because from memory, they look the same to me.

Glad you got it in fairly easily.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM

I did message the housing around the core with a small hammer
What was the message? "Get in there or I'm going to thwack you!"
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM

well tonight first run with the new core, nice and toasty. Took the time with the repair to reset the cables from the heater control panel.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:56 AM

well tonight first run with the new core, nice and toasty. Took the time with the repair to reset the cables from the heater control panel.

Very nice! Good job. So what's next on the list?
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:30 AM

I am going to pull the WP and have it rebuilt (preventive maint move), put on new radiator and heater hoses and inspect the brake system, surely there will be old brittle flex lines and maybe rust in the metal lines.
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I am going to pull the WP and have it rebuilt (preventive maint move), put on new radiator and heater hoses and inspect the brake system, surely there will be old brittle flex lines and maybe rust in the metal lines.

Good stuff. Making it safe and reliable, very smart.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM

I can't believe the choke system still works on it since it all looks so orig. Fires up, holds idle, no hesitation, nothing.