1953 88

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2015, 02:23 PM

Red face 1953 88

need assistance in removing rear drive shaft--way different than my 442--got bolts off can get driveshaft to drop --also need rear pinon seal replaced and trans rear seal --any pics would help--not sure if this has olds tranny or buick due to the fire at hydomatic plant
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by drolds53
need assistance in removing rear drive shaft--way different than my 442--got bolts off can get driveshaft to drop --also need rear pinon seal replaced and trans rear seal --any pics would help--not sure if this has olds tranny or buick due to the fire at hydomatic plant
?? It does not have u bolts at the yoke? Pretty sure I remember this year having u-bolts holding the u-joint on a almost flat yoke with just a shallow saddle. Pry it off after you get the u-bolts off with a big screw driver between the nut head and u-joint. If the system is older, then your going to have to post pictures. Jim

I will try to look up a seal number. I am sure there are guys here with books that might be faster than me. Jim

J D
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I kind of think the 53 had straps across the universal joint that bolt to the yoke on the differential. If not it has u-bolts. In either event, remove those and then take a large screwdriver or pry bar and put between the universal joint and the differential and pry against the ujoint. it should come loose.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by drolds53
If you have more than two speeds it's a Hydra-matic. The Buick Dinaflow in all models was only a two speed transmission.... Tedd