how to reseal differential to axle

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM

how to reseal differential to axle

Hello,

This is the first time I am dealing with this differential (1964 oldsmobile 98). It is a bit different than the one i have on my mustang 2004 where the differential gear assembly is bolted to the Axle tube assembly and you can simply remove a differential cover to see all the gears and remove some c clips that hold the axles.

This oldsmobile seems to have all the differential assembly attached to the front part of the pumpking, and I am assuming that in order to remove the front part of the pumpking with the internal differential assembly, I still need to remove the Axles.

I have several questions:

1. Currently there seems to be oil leaking in between the front part of the pumpking that holds the internal differential assembly and the rear of the pumpking which is a one piece assebly which has the axle tubes.

I want replace that gasket or seal it with silicone, which ever is approprioate.

2. The drive shaft is already removed, do i need to remove the axles to be able to remove the front part of the pumpking? I am assuming the answer is yes. If so, how do i remove the rear axles.

3. Are there any other things i need to remove to be able to pull the front half of the pumpking and be able to clean the mating surfaces and re-seal?

I am not planning to mess with the gears at all, just need to re-seal. Anything i need to be aware off when putting in it all back together?
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:28 AM

Lift car, block it for safety, remove wheels, remove brake drum, remove four bolts that hold axle retainer to backing plate, remove axles (both sides) be careful NOT to drag the axle shafts on the surface of the seals...then do the pumpkin part...if you replace the U-bolts into the pinion flange, then you can put a bar or screw driver through the bolts using it as a handle when you remove the assembly...it's heavy, so wear steel toed boots or just don't drop it... Happy Mothers Day!
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Thank you for information. Sounds pretty straight forward. I'll make sure to put the transmission jack i have under the pumpkin.

Thanks once again!