68 Buick GS/66,67 Buick Sportwagon non C clip, LOCK COLLAR Question

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM

68 Buick GS/66,67 Buick Sportwagon non C clip, LOCK COLLAR Question

I just pressed my NOS bearings with lock collars (Bearing Part#RW507GR) onto both rear axles and noticed one of the bearing lock collars are gouged to hell but not to to the point where I couldnt install them onto the axle or into the housing if they dont make contact with the seal... I understand that this lock collar should NOT contact the seal at all, but I think it will, does anyone have any idea if this is wrong? do they ride on the axle seal that i just replaced IN the housing or do they push on the face of this same seal, I am perplexed...

here are some pics

[/QUOTE]
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM

bearing issues

Ok well you have the GR bearing correct.

Where did you buy hte bearing? Looks like old stock? If you got it off ebay someone probably put the wrong retaining collar with this bearing.

The retaining collar appears to be WRONG too wide. See the split in the retaining collar?... 1/2 that collar is normal size.

what is your axle seal part number?

The seal rides on the machined surface before the retaining collar that holds the bearing tight to the 90 degree bearing stop machined in the axle shaft.

IT SHOULD never touch the retaining collar...

Jim
J D
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM

picture

red pink arrow indicates where the seal usually rides

blue arrow shows the split

blue check is the correct width of the retaining collar

x is what should not be.

I am still worried that the seal is not correct from the evidence on the axle shaft seal marks left behind in the axle dark parallel wear marks .

Jim
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0099.jpg (43.9 KB, 41 views)
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM

Your springs are upside-down.The ends with the coils closer together,should be on top.Then you should point both botton pigtails from both springs,to the left.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM

First off, thanx guys for the reply!

I purchased the seals from Summit, its Ratech Part#6133 or 6125, I installed the one that fit my 8.2 10bolt housing and returned the other one so I am not sure yet which exact one I installed because I didnt write it down. I installed it by pushing it all the way to the stop in the housing, by hand, which I thought was weird, since I know you usually have to drive them in using the appropriate sized socket... but they are of the aftermarket kind, and I know anything goes when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am now wondering if indeed there was a stop or could it have been something else, like make my own stop? should I remove the seal and check? just thinkin out loud here...

The lock collar was the original lock collar that came off this axle, thats why its beaten up. However, judging in regard to my situation where I removed the Original seal that probably placed the riding surface of the seal further down on shaft but the same spot in the housing, I now am wondering if I might have the wrong seal, not sure though...

In regard to the spring being upside down (these are hotchkis 1" drop springs by the way, does it make a difference?) the more circular ended pigtail is the end that I put on the bottom and end that was straighter is on the top in the rubber cup, either way you are saying this is wrong?

When you say both bottom pigtails should point left this is when your sitting in the drivers seat facing forward? just wondering...
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM

Lets keep it simple, I have access to an awesome 20 ton press. If I were to be able to purchase this correct 1/2 collar how can I get it on there without blowing out these recently purchased $200 NOS bearings?

I have a few ideas but would love to hear yours...
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM

Take a look at these NOS seals on Ebay vs the Ratech ones, (1st pic- Ratech seal) the NOS ones are not completely flat like the Ratechs, I think these Ratech seals might be wrong. what dyou think? The Original ones that came out of the housing had a lip on it that oriented/placed the seal further back/up on the shaft going towards the diff so it wouldnt make contact with the collars. I think they are in the trash, I just gotta find em and inspect them, I knew I shouldnt have destroyed them takin them out . I guess I could try and look for 1/2 collars if they are too hard to find or if this is not even the problem to begin with, fml...

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM

seals

Well the bottom parts are MINE...lol. I am J D Race.com

Bearings wil lnot fit BUT the seals will work 8594S we sell them -

DO NOT mess with your bearings...LIKE you said they are TOO expensive not to mention YOU may not find them again.

Do the seals and see how it goes. After looking again and hearing more of your story I say that is your deal. The press in axle seals in the axle tube. Pull the ones out and install the other ones. If you can not get them I have them in stock all the time just PM will get your info and get them out ASAP. Jim
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:45 AM

The seal should need driven in or pressed in with a driver.If you placed it in there by hand,I don't think there is anything really holding it in there,and therefore it won't keep all the oil back around the outer edge.

As for the springs,yes they are upside-down.The factory heavy-duty springs are made the same way,and the end with the coils closer together,is on top.Once they are flipped over,the pigtail ends that seat against the axle,should both point to the left.The driver's side & passenger side both point to the left.
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Yesterday i switched the springs that were upside down, thx. I also purchased the seals that you sell, the right axle is in and wheel is on... I went to put the left on and the bearing is wrong, the OD is over 3" the ebay dood said he would ship me a new one no charge, so thats pretty cool! Thx again guys for your guidance.
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM

wrong bearing???

What bearing did you purchase? rw 507GR? and now they are sending rw 507cr?

You had a stock skylark rear not the GS. DO NOT WASTE THAT BEARING... if it is a 507gr that is worth some money to the right guy... I am making retaining collars so will have them when you need them.

Jim
JD
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:42 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by monzaz
What bearing did you purchase? rw 507GR? and now they are sending rw 507cr?

You had a stock skylark rear not the GS. DO NOT WASTE THAT BEARING... if it is a 507gr that is worth some money to the right guy... I am making retaining collars so will have them when you need them.

Jim
JD

I need the GR and I would never waste the bearing. I completely understand now that I have a 68 GS rear axle. Whenever I went to look to purchase the seals and bearings they were in the computer everywhere for a 68GS. The one they sent me is prob the CR, 3.15" OD (im guessing). I know, GR's are starting to be worth some pretty coin nowadays... I will keep you in mind if I break these. Do you know what the power rating is for this rear axle? I have an Automatic trans with a 425/th400, prob not that much power maybe 400HP tops at the rear wheels once I tune the car on the dyno...
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Don't re-use locking collars. You press on a new one after pressing on the bearing. You remove it by splitting or at least expanding it with a chisel, and then it is no longer a press fit on the axle. I have seen bearings come with too fat collars, in diameter or length. Search around or buy the right ones from Monzaz, etc.