Is a 66 Jetstar 2dr rearend same as Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I've read that many drivetrain components from a Jetstar 88 are compatible w/ those off a Cutlass. This true?
Old December 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Al,
The components are not the same. The Jetstar 88 used the 330CID engine, 9.5 inch brakes, and small ring gear rear end LIKE the Cutlass. The rearend from the Jetstar is wider than the rear end in the Cutlass.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I've found it pretty hard to find certain parts for the 66 Jetstar. I've ordered parts catalogs for the Jet and I always receive Cutlass catalogs.
Would you happen to know what, if any, parts are interchangeable with other models? I was also told many suspension parts can be used from the F85....
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hello, I have had 2 different Olds Fellows call me looking for a Jetstar rear-end housing. I didn't have any, I do have "some" 65 to 68 88/98 parts. From what I heard there is a axel bearing problem with them, maybe they "eat" into the housing or something, I can't remember now but the one fellow said if he could find a good housing he figured out a way to fix it so it wouldn't happen again. The are their own "animal" when it comes to the rear-end housing, the control arms are different from the Delta's. Ken
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM

The Jetstar (not the Jetstar 1) is a hibrid of A Body and B/C Body parts with a few specific parts mixed in. The engine and TH300 transmission are the same as the Heavyduty F85/Cutlass. The TH400 (optional in 1965 and 1966) is the same as the 300/310 horsepower Dynamic/Delta. The Rearend is specific to the Jetstar but some of the internal components are the same as the A Body. The big rearend from the Delta/Dynamic/Ninety Eight/Starfire will bolt in but it uses the big brakes and the 5X5 bolt pattern wheels. The front suspension is the same as the other big cars with the exception of the springs, brakes and spindles. All of the body parts are the same as the other B Body Oldsmobiles. Only the front sheet metal is interchangable with the Ninety Eight. The heater/AC control is specific to the Jetstar. all of the underhood heater/AC parts are the same as the other big cars except the heater valve and the mode door control. The Evap, Heater Core and Condenser are the same as the othe big cars. All of the electrical components are the same as the other big cars with the same options.

The Jetstar was an attempt by Olds to offer a full size car at a popular price. It was priced about the same as the Pontiac Catalina and Chevy Impala. Olds tried to remove cost by sharing parts with higher volume products like the A Body car. The A Body (from 1964 on) shared components (except engines) between all Divisions increasing the volume and lowering the per-unit cost. They also removed some expensive components from the car like the vacuum operated HVAC system and installed cable operated HVAC like a Chevy. The interior used some chevy components and fabrics.

The only real problem with the Jetstar is the little 9.5 inch brakes. In contrast the other Big Olds' (along with the big Pontiac and Buick) used 11 inch brakes and the big Chevy used 10 or 11 inch brakes depending on the year. The Jetstar was not that much lighter than a Delta/Dynamic 88.
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM

my friend has a 1966 2 door jetstar he has the same problem he cant find the rear end or parts
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Jetstar Rear End/brakes

Hi, I was wondering what could be done to upgrade the brakes on the Jetstar, and also what kind of gears are compatible with the rear end. There is someone in my area selling a GM 10 bolt 8.5 3.90 gear set but i have no idea about the compatability with the jetstar. As for the brakes i have been searching but i cant find anything about the Jetstar in terms of how to upgrade the brakes.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM

66 Jetstar 88 Rearend

I have a 1966 Jetstar 88. I had to replace the rearend due to a bearing failure. When the right outer bearing failed it damaged the axle & housing. I used a rearend from a 1966 Delta 88. BUT, it was NOT a bolt-in. The hub to hub measurement was about the same. And the lower control arms and shocks bolted up. Plus the brake hose was the same.

But the center section of the rearend I used was much wider than the Jetstar rearend. I had to move the frame mounts for the upper arms out about 2" from what I remember. My Jetstar driveshaft was also too long. I still need to find a shorter driveshaft. And I used wheels with the 5 on 5 bolt spacing.

There may be an 88 rearend that will bolt in. But most I've seen have the larger center section.

The brakes work fine. The rears lockup in hard \ emergency braking. But I had that problem with the Jetstar rearend.

I plan to upgrade the front end to the larger brakes. Anyone know if I can keep my Jetstar spindles? Or do I need to use the ones from the larger brake setup?

Don