Differential rebuild time?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Gearhead in training

Differential rebuild time?

Hello. I have been hearing noises like when brake pads are worn coming out of the back end of my car. Also i put it into drive the other day and it wouldn't creep forward when i let off the gas like it usually does and been hearing clunking noises. Is it time for a rebuild or should i top off the fluid? Can i go to a junk yard and just pull one off another car to save money on the rebuild and do this myself or should i just pay someone? Car is 1972 delta 88 with a 350 4 barrel royale
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:33 PM

You might want to take a look at the rear suspension, especially the upper control arm bushings before writing off the differential. I once had worn bushings on a 70 Chevelle that sounded much worse than it was.
Old September 20th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Middian
Can i go to a junk yard and just pull one off another car to save money on the rebuild
That's definitely the easiest thing to do. The hard part will be finding a donor car in a salvage yard.
Old September 20th, 2018, 08:12 PM
same but different

I'd suspect a broken component in the drum brakes. Easy enough to pull off the drums and inspect the parts. And this is cheap stuff if its found to be the problem.
Old September 21st, 2018, 07:44 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Fun71
That's definitely the easiest thing to do. The hard part will be finding a donor car in a salvage yard.
what other cars had the same differential as me. Will the width of the differential be the same? It's a 10 bolt I believe
Old September 21st, 2018, 07:47 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by don71
I'd suspect a broken component in the drum brakes. Easy enough to pull off the drums and inspect the parts. And this is cheap stuff if its found to be the problem.
I have never really done drums what exactly am I looking for? Will I notice it immediately? I'm pretty sure it's a differential problem because I had the yoke nut come offand the yoke was just spinning with the drive shaft I think it might have damaged the pinion or something internal to the differential. Can I just pop the diff and post pictures?
Old November 12th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Rear wheel bearing, just went through this...
Old November 12th, 2018, 07:48 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Mileage?
Rusty?
Last time rear brakes were inspected?
Start simple. Unless you want someone to troubleshoot for you-you're gonna need to be hands-on here.
Look at the chassis bushings as mentioned. Pry on things looking for unwanted deflection/movement.
U-joints OK? Grab the rear of the driveshaft and look for slop in the u-joint and the pinion.
Rotate tires by hand. Do both sides spin with little effort?
Pull the rear drums, inspect. How does it all look? All of the brake spring hardware where it all belongs? Brake shoe anchor pins doing their job or have they pulled through the rotted brake plates due to rot? Oh, wait never mind thats the 99-2016 Super Duty F250-350s ,MO,,,sarcasm...Sorry off topic.
Grab the axles with drums off. Any up/down movement? In/Out is normal.
Start it up, put it in drive with the drums off(do not apply the brakes!). Still hear it?
Pull the diff cover. Look at fluid and for evidence of debris at bottom of the housing. Look at the gear teeth.
If it grumbles while on the road that's bearings n races. There are 6 bearing/race sets in that rear.
A rear end isnt all that difficult(for me) to rebuild. Just need the right tools and gear lash knowledge. Youtube it. Have a good shop do the rebuild that knows how to set GM gear lash and deal with a crush sleeve.
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Donor cars list

ALL full size Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac and Chevy will interchange with the 1971-1976 BIG CARS (early wagons will not work) they were still leaf spring.) if a Wagon has a four link suspension and is from the 71-76 era it will work also.
Chevy Impala, Caprice
Pontiac Granville, Catalina, Bonneville (do not know if this name went into the 71-76 era)
Oldsmobile Delta 88, Royale, 98
Buick Centurian, Lesabre, Electra

There might be more sub model names under each that will work too.

Good luck.
Jim