Yoke on Differential case noise

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Yoke on Differential case noise

Hello.

This is for Brian Trick as per our conversation, but anyone who is knowledgeable and wants to chime in can too.

As you will see by the video, there is a noise coming from the yoke that rattles at low speed and then screeches at higher speeds. I hope this video captures it well enough.

You may have to turn up the volume a bit to hear the rattle...

Thanks!

Old June 4th, 2018, 03:23 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yank the tires and drums and repeat what you did in the vid(do not apply the brakes or put it in drive with drums unsecured). Still hear it?

Next, pull the driveshaft, inspect both ujoints. See if anything is rolling around on the inside of the drive shaft tube. Run it in park with the driveshaft removed to eliminate the exhaust system.

Then feel the rear yoke for excessive lash and smoothness(tires and drums removed for the best effect).

Do you feel/hear anything at speed on the road? Could be the carrier bearings are going or the yoke has become loose on the pinion splines? Or the seal is flopping around Any oil leaking?

Then pull the rear diff cover and look at the condition of the fluid and for the presence of metal in the bottom of the pumpkin.

You don't hear this noise when the car is at idle in park, right?

So hard to tell without being there. The above is common sense troubleshooting elimination. Start simple work towards the complex.
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
Hello.

This is for Brian Trick as per our conversation, but anyone who is knowledgeable and wants to chime in can too.

As you will see by the video, there is a noise coming from the yoke that rattles at low speed and then screeches at higher speeds. I hope this video captures it well enough.

You may have to turn up the volume a bit to hear the rattle...

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/S9ZH3hJqNG8
Sounds like a loose stone deflector to me
Check to see if the stone deflector which is staked to the pinion yoke in 4 places has came loose and spinning independently of the yoke
Old June 4th, 2018, 09:24 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1
Sounds like a loose stone deflector to me
Check to see if the stone deflector which is staked to the pinion yoke in 4 places has came loose and spinning independently of the yoke
The stone deflector is loose and spins freely independently of anything. I can spin it with my finger just by reaching under and spinning it with the car just sitting there not running or anything. What do I do to fix that?
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:03 PM

Yoke dust sheild

LOL. That is what I was going to say it was...They fall off all the time on drag race cars WE do not even install yokes with shield for drag racers...
You have to remove the yoke .
Put the yoke in a vice, position the shield back in place on the casting and stake (pointed steel punch drive it in a few spots around the shield to the casting) the shield back in place or just ditch it all together.
AS long as you do not off road you will be fine.

If you still want it maybe a few tack welds...BUT be careful not to spatter the seal surface or weld from the outer part of the shield not the under part.

Do not feel bad it does happen quite often.

Jim
J D

Last edited by monzaz; June 4th, 2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=1968CutlassSupreme;1100028]The stone deflector is loose and spins freely independently of anything. I can spin it with my finger just by reaching under and spinning it with the car just sitting there not running or anything. What do I do to fix that?[/QUOTE
You do not need to remove anything.You can do this on the car and take nothing apart.Two opposing TACK welds on the front face of the deflector to the yoke itself.Make sure you are grounded to the yoke.This will not generate enough heat to hurt the seal and the defletor shields the seal from spatter.Can't tell you how many times I've done this in 35 years of doing rears.Half hour on a lift & you're driving again.
Old June 5th, 2018, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=SmirchIs#1;1100105]
The stone deflector is loose and spins freely independently of anything. I can spin it with my finger just by reaching under and spinning it with the car just sitting there not running or anything. What do I do to fix that?[/QUOTE
You do not need to remove anything.You can do this on the car and take nothing apart.Two opposing TACK welds on the front face of the deflector to the yoke itself.Make sure you are grounded to the yoke.This will not generate enough heat to hurt the seal and the defletor shields the seal from spatter.Can't tell you how many times I've done this in 35 years of doing rears.Half hour on a lift & you're driving again.
I would like to add;make sure this is done by someone who is a good welder.When I say TACK weld I mean roughly a half second ZZZZT.Good luck
Old June 5th, 2018, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=SmirchIs#1;1100105]
The stone deflector is loose and spins freely independently of anything. I can spin it with my finger just by reaching under and spinning it with the car just sitting there not running or anything. What do I do to fix that?[/QUOTE
You do not need to remove anything.You can do this on the car and take nothing apart.Two opposing TACK welds on the front face of the deflector to the yoke itself. Make sure you are grounded to the yoke. This will not generate enough heat to hurt the seal and the defletor shields the seal from spatter.Can't tell you how many times I've done this in 35 years of doing rears.Half hour on a lift & you're driving again.
This is CRITICAL, you don't want an arc going through bearings and races that could be bad !
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:14 AM

Right or wrong

Well I can tell you if you were in a rush go ahead and do it on the car...BUT to be sure nothing else is screwed up I would remove the yoke and inspect before assuming things are great....
Plus the fact of the weld under a car with out a great fuel vent system...WHY take a chance.

comes do to you... your car we have given plenty of options . good luck. Jim

J D