70 cutlass posi rear end swap question

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:25 AM

70 cutlass posi rear end swap question

Hey Guys,

I appologize if this has been asked, but my searching failed me, i might have the opportunity to pick up a 323 posi 10 rear end out of a 71 cutlass and will probably need to be rebuilt it is a car that had a muncie 4 speed in it. I am still working on getting a price, but i was wondering if this would work in my 70 cutlass with out too much trouble. I am stock piling parts to do a 455 swap on this car and currently have the motor and a th400 long tail for it. would it make sense to sweeten the pot and get the muncie 4 speed instead of using the long tail? and what would be a good price to look at picking this stuff up for?

Just looking for some advice as this is really my first big project of this magnitude and just want to do it the right way. but basically my eventual goal is to turn this into a pro turning type car, i am planning on roughly a 500hp/500tq out of the motor to make it a good overall cruiser.

Thanks!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:50 AM

Yes, that rear will fit under your car. The driveshaft length may be a bit different - I can't remember right off if it is a bit longer or shorter.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 02:34 PM

70 to 71

Originally Posted by kramer70cutlass
Hey Guys,

I appologize if this has been asked, but my searching failed me, i might have the opportunity to pick up a 323 posi 10 rear end out of a 71 cutlass and will probably need to be rebuilt it is a car that had a muncie 4 speed in it. I am still working on getting a price, but i was wondering if this would work in my 70 cutlass with out too much trouble. I am stock piling parts to do a 455 swap on this car and currently have the motor and a th400 long tail for it. would it make sense to sweeten the pot and get the muncie 4 speed instead of using the long tail? and what would be a good price to look at picking this stuff up for?

Just looking for some advice as this is really my first big project of this magnitude and just want to do it the right way. but basically my eventual goal is to turn this into a pro turning type car, i am planning on roughly a 500hp/500tq out of the motor to make it a good overall cruiser.

Thanks!
If you have a 1970 with original 12 bolt / 10 bolt rear. Then you will need to shorten the drive shaft a bit 1" ish...BUT do not cut till the rear is under the car and you measure. AS you may not even have the original driveshaft under the car either. Jim