-60 Dynamic 88 driveline setup

Old July 18th, 2016, 04:23 AM

-60 Dynamic 88 driveline setup

Hi,
I'm trying to get rid of the vibrations on the driveline on my -60 Dynamic 88.
The vibrations have been there ever since I bought the car. When taking the drivline apart I noticed that the support bearing was only mounted with one screw and the shims were laying loose inside the frame. I also noticed that the nut retainer on the slip yoke wasn't crimped. That indicates that the driveline has been taken apart before I layed my hands on it.
I have replaced the support bearing and the universal joints, the old bearing was bad but the universal joints could have been used much longer. Anyhow the new parts are there and I still have the vibrations. I suspect that the driveline has been assembled 90 deg out of phase. When the yoke on the transmission is horisontal, the yoke on the rear axle is vertical. Is that correct? Does anyone have a photo of a correctly assembled driveline?

Yoke on the transmission

Yoke on the rear axle
Old July 18th, 2016, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by LaRy
Hi,
I'm trying to get rid of the vibrations on the driveline on my -60 Dynamic 88.
The vibrations have been there ever since I bought the car. When taking the drivline apart I noticed that the support bearing was only mounted with one screw and the shims were laying loose inside the frame. I also noticed that the nut retainer on the slip yoke wasn't crimped. That indicates that the driveline has been taken apart before I layed my hands on it.
I have replaced the support bearing and the universal joints, the old bearing was bad but the universal joints could have been used much longer. Anyhow the new parts are there and I still have the vibrations. I suspect that the driveline has been assembled 90 deg out of phase. When the yoke on the transmission is horisontal, the yoke on the rear axle is vertical. Is that correct? Does anyone have a photo of a correctly assembled driveline?

Yoke on the transmission

Yoke on the rear axle
I don't you can change the phase of the Yokes unless your Centre Hanger bearing has a slip joint
Old July 19th, 2016, 12:42 AM

You are right there. There is a slip joint in that driveline. That's why it's possible to change the phase. The front prop shaft has one spline missing and the rear one has a clip between two splines. So it's not possible to phase it wrong by accident. But still, by moving the clip to a different position it's possible to phase it wrong. That's why I'm trying to some info on how it should look when it's correctly assembled.
Old July 19th, 2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by LaRy
You are right there. There is a slip joint in that driveline. That's why it's possible to change the phase. The front prop shaft has one spline missing and the rear one has a clip between two splines. So it's not possible to phase it wrong by accident. But still, by moving the clip to a different position it's possible to phase it wrong. That's why I'm trying to some info on how it should look when it's correctly assembled.

Phasing a driveshaft is critical when a vibration is found. syncing the transmission yoke with the centre hanger bearing yoke could very well solve your vibration. The other thing to look at if the vibration persists is to make sure the driveshaft has slightly different angles at each universal joint. each joint is designed to swivel a bit while rotating and if and joint stays in a straight line the centrifugal force could create a vibration. I remember some center Hanger bearings having shims where they're attached to help with the angles needed at the joints. This sometimes happens when suspensions become weak over time because of age and the driveline angle changes at the universal joint
Old July 20th, 2016, 09:03 AM

Yes. I guess I will try that. If putting them in phase doesn't help I'll start playing with the angles as you suggest. I'm still hoping to get a photo proving how it should be put together. Thanks for your support.
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:17 AM

take a look at this information and watch the video. you will need a leveling device as stated. The 57 also came with a two section driveline similar to yours and the manual has two pages of directions for setting up the angles.

http://spicerparts.com/anglemaster/measuring-angles