A guy wants to trade me rearends.Noob ?'s

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

A guy wants to trade me rearends.Noob ?'s

My brothers friend owns a 1965 (real)442. He is not really into Olds' per say and I am just learning. He just put a fresh 403 in it (I know) that my borother gave him for free from a 78 trans am he parted out, but has always complained it has to aggressive gears in it . He heard that I have a extra 10 bolt 8.5 with 3.08's from a 73 nova.

The rearend he has is a POSI and is original to the car. He wants to trade for my extra rearend.

Are they at all compatible to fit in his car? Should I trade regardless? Will his Fit in my 1974 omega?

Either way he said the rearend is mine. I just have to wait for him to locate another If my 8.5 10 bolt will not work in his.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM

I'm not sure about track width but you are looking at two entirely different suspensions. The cutlass is riding on coil springs, so mounts and perches would have to be cut and re welded in their proper locations. You may wat to talk to monzaz about swapping out the carriers instead. I have never done a diff in a car so would have no clue as to the difficulty level of the swap, but have read that it can be done if you are patient, have a manual, and can follow directions precicely. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's the best I have. I'm sure others will chime in with more precice info later.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 74omega
My brothers friend owns a 1965 (real)442. He is not really into Olds' per say and I am just learning. He just put a fresh 403 in it (I know) that my borother gave him for free from a 78 trans am he parted out, but has always complained it has to aggressive gears in it . He heard that I have a extra 10 bolt 8.5 with 3.08's from a 73 nova.

The rearend he has is a POSI and is original to the car. He wants to trade for my extra rearend.

Are they at all compatible to fit in his car? Should I trade regardless? Will his Fit in my 1974 omega?

Either way he said the rearend is mine. I just have to wait for him to locate another If my 8.5 10 bolt will not work in his.
I'm not sure I follow exactly. Width differences aside, the Nova rear doesn't have the cast-in tabs for the upper control arms, so you can't even weld all the brackets onto it for use in an A-body. The guts won't change either because the 65 is an 8.2 and could be one of three types (O, B, or C). The Nova is a corporate 10 bolt.
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM

His 1965 rear end would be great trade stock even if you can't use it in one of your cars. I'm up in Medford Oregon and I'd be real interested in it if it's in good shape. It sounds like he's not into numbers matching, which makes me think he should be building a Cutlass rather than a 442, but it's his car to do what he wants with. I think his best bet would be to get a 1971-72 A-body rear end with the corporate 8.5 ten bolt, then have the gears he wants installed. That housing would give him a lot more options as the corporate ten bolt was used in lots of cars, and the posi units and gears are much more available then the 1960s vintage differentials. My 2 cents, John
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

Thanks.. Exactly what I needed to hear. I guess I will get the rearend from him just for the barter/sell purpose.

He is not into numbers matching which is sad for a 442. He won't dump the car either.

I'll let you guys know when I get it and what It's characteristics are to identify it.

Thanks again..
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Foot in mouth again, answered without thinking. Sorry about the crappy info. I forgot the centers were cast different
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM

1965 442 Rear end

Did you get anymore details on your brothers friends car? I recently purchased a set of 4 speed pedals from a 1965 442 on ebay from someone in San Leandro California, could this be the same car? The one on ebay was selling a lot of parts from a 1965 442 and from the pictures it looked like he had changed over to a ratchet shifter for an automatic, maybe to race? Man I wish I could have traded him a solid Cutlass plus some $$ for the 442 before he began taking it apart and modifying it. I know it's his property and his right to do what he wants to with it so I won't flame him for it. But I believe the day will come when he realizes how much value and demand there was for a original car, and how much less value and demand there is for a modified car missing original parts. I don't plan on selling ANY of my cars. But the reality is that some day they will be sold either by me as my life situation changed or my relatives after I'm dead and gone! I know of six 1965 442's that have been dismantled and crushed and are now gone forever. That's just the ones I know about here in the Rogue Valley. John