Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Question Driveshaft question

Hello all,
I have just finished replacing the u-joints in my 73 delta 88, and now I am ready to put the driveshaft back in the car. My question is, do I need to put chassis lube on the spline shaft connecting the trans to the driveshaft? ATF maybe? I would think it would be ATF, but when I took the driveshaft out the female connection on the driveshaft side had a thick chassis lube looking stuff inside.
I am worried about putting thick chassis lube in there mixing around with the thin ATF in the tranny. Seems like that would be asking for trouble.
Any help?

Thanks,
Chris
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
same but different

It depends....but this is'nt a big deal, But the reccomended lube is teflon grease.

Do you know if your yoke is vented? The yoke will have a pin hole right in the center. They use an O-ring to seal it inside the tail housing. Atf will be fine here as a lube.

If its not vented then teflon lube is reccomended to prevent spine lock. If the residue you described is chassis lube, this is why. If you don't have/cant get teflon lube, then a "little" chassis lube should be ok. Don't over do-it.