70 F85

Old May 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM

70 F85

Hello All,
I'm new and have a good question. Since High School I've been dreaming to own a 442(Since I saw that '70 Convt 442 for sale for $4,000 in '84). Well since the prices for a 442 is out of my bounds, I picked up a 1970 F85 Cutlass...a 442 clone to a certain extent. Has the fiberglass hood and rear wing, but a Chevy 350 with a Super T-10. I know the there are a million parts for the 350, but it's not right. Hooks like an ape, but the blood line of the car needs to feed into an olds engine. Before I start with the 455 quest, I need to know if this baby is safe to drive w/ the chevy 350.
Motor Mounts is my current dilema. I read about the differences between the Chevy 350...Olds 350 and Buick...but as probably a few of you may know, that the chevy 350 is a bit different that the olds as far as mounting to the chassis. Currently I have solid mounts which dont line up exactly with the bolt holes. Out of 4 bolt holes on each motor mount, only 2 are bolted down due to the difference in the alignment. Are there motor mounts that will fit the chevy 350 to an olds chassis? I thought that the A Body style was good for all GM engines. Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM

A-body mounts

The 68-72 A-body frames(Cutlass/442,Chevelle,Lemans/GTO,Skylark etc.)are identical. The mounts in your car are either incorrect for the chevy or ihcorrectly mounted. Frame and motor mounts for/from a chevy will bolt right up to your frame and engine just like they wuould in a chevy.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks for responding. I thought that they should bolt right in also, but they don't. Looks like the engine needs to be moved back about 2 ". The dist is already at the firewall so no room is available. I ran the car's vin and it seems that it could have been a 6 cyl at one point.. Would that make a difference? I wouldn't think that GM would go through that expense in redesigning the front for a 6 cyl.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by ssaltuc
Thanks for responding. I thought that they should bolt right in also, but they don't. Looks like the engine needs to be moved back about 2 ". The dist is already at the firewall so no room is available. I ran the car's vin and it seems that it could have been a 6 cyl at one point.. Would that make a difference? I wouldn't think that GM would go through that expense in redesigning the front for a 6 cyl.
I believe the 6 had different motor mount perch holes.

C.J.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Thank guys, I think I know what the problem is. There are aftermarket solid motor mounts on the engine. I've been reasearching and there is no difference between the A-body mount holes. The difference was the motor mounts., that's why a few different sets of holes are drilled in there. I need to get motor mounts from a chevy a-body, like a chevelle. That should work.
Thanks Orange and thanks Texasred for your reply.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Past Administrator

So you are trying to make the chevy 350 safe in the f85 until you get a 455 to install right? And the engine has aftermarket solid mounts on it so they don't fit well on the crossmember, right? Wishing you the best of luck and hope you find that big block Olds soon. That would be cool.