Air can modification

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Air can modification

I changed my 1972 Cutlass to an HEI last year simply because I think it's a better system and more reliable. Only thing is, the stock air can doesn't fit properly because of the size of the dist cap. I want to keep the original look to the car, so an air can without a snorkel is not an option. I know that you can probably put a 80+ air can on, but the can is the wrong diameter and sidewall.

So here's my dilemna, for now all I did was take a spare air can, bead blast it and cut out part of the back that would interfere with fitment. Then I used some aluminum tin tape and taped over the hole from both sides so it sealed up ok, and clears the HEI cap. I painted the whole thing gloss black in and out so it's harder to see the "mod". It's at the back where you can't see it anyway and actually doesn't look too bad.

But it still bugs me. Is there a proper air can I can put on this car to fit the HEI disty? I've seen some from the 75+ years that have a "dent" in the back, and they'd work but the snorkel would be on the wrong side.

For reference, this engine is a 350 L34 4bbl. I still have the original disty, coil and air can in case I want to ever change back.

Anyone know where I can get the right can? One other thing - because I don't know; are all HEI units and caps about the same size? If there's a smaller unit that fits Olds, I haven't found it. Peter (my mechanic and friend) says I'm overthinking this. Is he right?
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I think the easiest way would be to get an air filter housing off of an 80s Oldsmobile with a 307. It should fit your quadrajet no problem. The only thing is you will have to get an air filter to fit that housing, not the orignial. I guess it might be a little smaller from what you said.

know that you can probably put a 80+ air can on, but the can is the wrong diameter and sidewall.
Ultimately, I am sure what you did works just fine. You should post some pics and show us your handywork.
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Oldsdruid

Any 1975-80 Olds engine aircleaner housing will do exactly what you want. They're already clearanced for the HEI distributor and dimpled at the front to clear the water neck. They ARE offset toward the front to accomodate the HEI, and most will have a large inlet for cold air induction.

Some 1973-74 cars had HEI (it was optional those years) and if you can find one of those aircleaners it may have a more suitable inlet snout