The 72 came home last night. Body Resto Complete!

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Talking The 72 came home last night. Body Resto Complete!

The car does look great. Way too much drama to get here and i had to detail it myself. The guy wanted to keep it a couple more days to clean it up etc... Screw that Crap!

The body work is 100% top rate. All holes were welded and the body work was done very well. The Paintjob is pretty good. Im not impressed but it does look fantastic. Most any average joe would be happier than all get out. Unfortunately, I know precisely what to look for and I am never happy when any shortcuts are taken. Being a Painting Contractor and specializing in Piano Lacquers and fine finishes, I am doomed to a position of extreme criticism.

That being said, I could enter a show tomorrow and no one except a skilled judge could even see what I am seeing.

Im happy I got it back. The new windshield is awesome. The old one was pitted and well, quite frankly, it was old.

The car looks insanely good IMHO. However, through this process and given all the details that lead me here, I wouldn't refer the person who did my paint!

What say you?

Here is a before with all the trim etc...
gd1.jpg

Of Course, we cant forget these shots.
oldsrestore3.jpg

oldsrestore4.jpg

oldsrestore5.jpg

After. Debadged, no molding on the doors and fenders. no spoiler, no lettering on the trunk. New Windshield etc...
bolds5.jpg

bolds6.jpg

bolds3.jpg

bolds1.jpg

bolds2.jpg

Thanks for looking guys and gals!

Last edited by ddusty1; June 11th, 2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Remove the F bomb!
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Nice looking ride, I hope my '72 will look as good some day. By the way, did you try to get 1BLUE72 from DMV? My '72 Cheyenne has it. Very creative alternative. What are you running to power this machine? Chumley
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chumley
Nice looking ride, I hope my '72 will look as good some day. By the way, did you try to get 1BLUE72 from DMV? My '72 Cheyenne has it. Very creative alternative. What are you running to power this machine? Chumley
Shes wearing new shoes and she gets up and goes when I want her to!
455 with big valve heads. Nothing fancy. Bone stock excepth the Edelbrock performer and the Edelbrock carb.... I wanted her appearance to be bone stock looking.

Took out this 350...
4552.jpg

And gave her this heartbeat...
4554.jpg

455new.jpg
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

Nice, very nice.
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Wow, Dusty - one could almost drown in the gloss of that Carribean blue!
You sure did great, even after the snafus you went through...
Looks like she rolled out of the factory.

BTW, I love the tree mural that is on the trunk lid - it goes well with the color! However, isn't it upside down??

Again, great job!!
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Beautiful car!! Great job!!
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM

very nice car, i wish my car looks that great!
Nice and clean under the hood also.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Wow, Dusty - one could almost drown in the gloss of that Carribean blue!
You sure did great, even after the snafus you went through...
Looks like she rolled out of the factory.

BTW, I love the tree mural that is on the trunk lid - it goes well with the color! However, isn't it upside down??

Again, great job!!
Thanks for the kind words bro. The damn mural guy was dyslexic! Whats was I to do?

Just put a coat of Zaino brothers on her! Thats stuff is the best in the industry.

Cheers!
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 69'442
Beautiful car!! Great job!!
Thanks bro!
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by D Appeldorn
very nice car, i wish my car looks that great!
Nice and clean under the hood also.
Thats what really pissed me off! It took me 4 hours to detail my engine bay again! It looked like hell when I got her back!

Ive been working on this car for 3 years now. Its nice to finally have it ALMOST where I want it!

Cheers!
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM

wow looks great dusty, but in fairness to the guy who painted it did he want to detail it etc in the extra days he wanted? I think the paint looks excellent, the motor like you popped it out of a vintage olds ad, man oh man it is sweet!!! you must be VERY picky LOL...
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
wow looks great dusty, but in fairness to the guy who painted it did he want to detail it etc in the extra days he wanted? I think the paint looks excellent, the motor like you popped it out of a vintage olds ad, man oh man it is sweet!!! you must be VERY picky LOL...
Its a long story. The guy had the car 3 weeks longer than he siad he would.

They broke my windshield, they were supposed to put rollers on my car but they didnt. It took me 3 hours to clean the clear coat off my rims One of the workers there siphoned the gas out of my tank! It was full when I dropped it off and they said it was empty!

Little things like that. I just wanted my car out of their hands. Yes, I am picky but I pay well for professional work. When I feel like Im getting stroked, well, I turn sour pretty quick. The car does look damn good though.

The guys must have buffed it for a week!

Anyhow, I got her back and all is well again in my little world! :-) I feel like a part of me is missing when that car isnt in my garage!

Cheers!
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ddusty1
They broke my windshield, they were supposed to put rollers on my car but they didnt. It took me 3 hours to clean the clear coat off my rims One of the workers there siphoned the gas out of my tank! It was full when I dropped it off and they said it was empty!

Little things like that.

Cheers!
Just wondering, how are those "little things?" A professional esablishment should not be siphoning gas out of your car, and you shouldnt be cleaning clear coat. If they broke your windshield, they better have payed for it. I hope you showed them who's boss, gas is dang expensive these days.
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
Just wondering, how are those "little things?" A professional esablishment should not be siphoning gas out of your car, and you shouldnt be cleaning clear coat. If they broke your windshield, they better have payed for it. I hope you showed them who's boss, gas is dang expensive these days.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Believe me. they were happy to give me my car and trust me, they didnt get any more than I offered to pay in the first place.

15 years ago i would have gone to jail on the day i picked her up. Thank god marriage has made me a more sound person! :-)
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM

LOL, good to hear. Dang she looks good though. I will be lucky if my cutlass looks half that good once i paint it. LOL Im lucky enough to have bondo spots on my car. i did as much straightening to the car as i could, i also cut and patched rust, even getting it as smooth as i could, i still needed to use a little bondo here and there. Oddly enough my windshield broke in the process of taking off the chrome around the windshield, there happened to be a small crack behind the chrome, kinda upsetting considering i dont have the money for a windshield.