Changing a tilt column from column shift to floor shift

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Changing a tilt column from column shift to floor shift

I have two 69 Cutlass steering columns. one is a tilt with column shift the other is a non tilt with floor shift. Is it possible to swapped parts on these with the end result being the tilt column set up for floor shift ?

Any help would be appreciated
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Administrator

It all depends on how you would like it to look after your done. If you take the tilt column and remove the shifter handle and lock it in the neutral position. Grind off the hump and fill the hole, smooth out and paint, your done. All the neutral safety, back up and reverse lighting can be controlled by the floor shifter.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bitburger
I have two 69 Cutlass steering columns. one is a tilt with column shift the other is a non tilt with floor shift. Is it possible to swapped parts on these with the end result being the tilt column set up for floor shift ?

Any help would be appreciated
Sorry, but you cannot swap those parts. The part you need to swap is called the "shift bowl" and it is different between tilt and non-tilt columns. You CAN swap a tilt floor shift bowl to a column shift tilt column and a non-tilt floor shift bowl to a column shift non-tilt column, but you can't mix tilt and non-tilt parts.
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but you cannot swap those parts. The part you need to swap is called the "shift bowl" and it is different between tilt and non-tilt columns. You CAN swap a tilt floor shift bowl to a column shift tilt column and a non-tilt floor shift bowl to a column shift non-tilt column, but you can't mix tilt and non-tilt parts.
Thanks, Joe. I'm glad I asked before I started ripping stuff apart.

So anyone out there interested in swapping a tilt steering column with column shift for a tilt steering column for floor shift ?

Thanks