Identifying the Wheel

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Identifying the Wheel

Hey Olds buddies--

I bought my '72 Cutlass last August. It came with SS wheels (I think), but the center caps are unfamiliar. Can anyone identify what this logo is? Aftermarket? Will the center caps accept the Rocket logo faces? This is a trivial question, but I've been curious for a while.

Thanks!

Russ
Sorry for the blurriness. I suck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2452625_17.jpg (8.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
2452625_16.jpg (8.6 KB, 28 views)
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TheRuss
Hey Olds buddies--

I bought my '72 Cutlass last August. It came with SS wheels (I think), but the center caps are unfamiliar. Can anyone identify what this logo is? Aftermarket? Will the center caps accept the Rocket logo faces? This is a trivial question, but I've been curious for a while.
Those are some sort of aftermarket stickers or centers. Keep in mind that the Magnum 500/SSI wheels were quite common in the 60s and were available aftermarket as well as OEM. I don't know if the sticker is exactly the same diameter as the rocket sticker, but I'd be willing to bet that the whole Olds SSI center cap bolts right in.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks, Joe!

It can be frustrating trying to identify something obscure like this. This is my first 'classic' car, so I'm just getting used to realizing that there were 35 years worth of miscellaneous upgrades and repairs that I don't have records for (well, 30...I have everything since 2001).

I guess my point is that I appreciate having this resource to bounce my dumb-*** and occasionally not so dumb-*** questions off of.

Joe, do you ever put your cars in shows down in the DC area?

Thanks again! If I can pick up some cheap SSI centers, I'll give it a shot.

Russ
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Are those whee;ls 14" OR 15"?

C.J.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Hey C.J.!

They're 14 inch.

Russ
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Of the oldsmoble sport rims from the factory, does anyone have pics of the two styles (I think there are two styles because I haven't heard of others) I have a full set of the 14"'s for my 442 and they currently are not on the 442 because the car also came with a set of deep dish slots, which are currently on the car, the sport rims I have are 100% complete and in damn fine shape with rings,inserts and caps. I also know of a set of 15" oldsmoble sport rims that I can purchase rather cheap. But I just really don't know which style mine are. and I also have four caps that are round but with a very flat top and the olds rocket symbol.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Past Administrator

Chip I found this link that pictures the SSI, the SSII and SSIII rims all together. The description you gave about the smooth center cap sounds like the SSI but in '72 the wheels were SSII with the painted inserts a grey or a body color and the center caps weren't smooth. The SSIII were chrome plated and didn't have the outer trim rings. Then there were the SSII wheels used on the Delta cars which had a different center cap altogether. I think you car should have the SSII wheels with chrome outer trim rings, non-smooth center caps that bolt in and the little stainless trim rings around each of the five holes.

edit: oops, forgot the link,

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

edit: I don't think those are actual original wheels shown but copies, pretty close though.