stuck 69 cutlass door

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM

stuck 69 cutlass door

hey all i have a 1969 cutlass s and the drivers side door is stuck like no other. the handle and lock all move and i can hear something goin on but it doesnt budge. im trying to take off the interior panels but am i having troubles. any ideas? and too if anymone tell me how to remove the window cranks without a special tool that would help. i am also trying to remove the radio but not sure how. bought an assembly manual, it doesnt help. thanks all
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Past Administrator

You can buy a special tool at a supply place that sells auto body and paint equipment or buy a small cheap pair of pliers like needle noses and take the cheap rubber insulation off the handles. With the curve and the bare metal they make a pretty good tool to remove the C clip that is holding the crank handle on. Just push in on the inner panel to see which way the C clip is snapped on and press it out with the cheapo tool the other direction. Be careful as it might go flying. When you re-install the crank handle you can put the C clip on first and just press the crank handls on. As for getting the door open, it sounds like you may have an actutor rod loose or broken. If it is then I am not quite sure how you would get it loose without damaging the inner door panel. Like a catch 22, you need the door open to get the inner panel off correctly but if you can't get the door open........That's a tuff one.
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I saw this trick at a classic car salvage yard a few months back. I had my trim tool with me. And offered it to the guy removing the window crank. He replied, "Don't need it" as he removed the crank. He had used a shop rag, looped it behind the handle, worked it between the handle and plastic piece that protects the panel. Then he kind'a used the two ends of the rag pulled them in a seasaw or shoeshine fashion to release the clip. Imagine the rag making a "U" around the handle and holding the ends of the "U" then working them back and forth. The ends of the clip caught on the rag and released.

A little hard to explain, but the guy had the handle off as quick as I could have with my tool. Plus he said he didn't have to worry about loosing the tool.

Not sure how to get the door open or the panel off with the door closed though. Good luck.

Don
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. If it is a rod problem, you may be able to get it with the window down using a stiff wire, like a metal coat hanger to activate the catch. If the rods are still hooked up, the catch may be sticking. Try pushing the button, and push in on the door first, then pull. Only do this on the outside edge of the door. It may take some force, but pushing/pulling in the right spots won't hurt anything. When you do get it open, lubricate all mechanism well with oil, on both doors. It's common for people to get locked out of thier cars,.. not to common to be locked in. Best of luck, and let us know what happens. Jim.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Noob here, but ran in to similar problem this week. Just bought a 1965 Cutlass and the driver's door was stuck. I don't know if we have the same problem, but check it out.... When i depressed the button on the door handle, the door latch would release, but the door would not open all the way (maybe 1/4"). Same when trying to open it from the inside. Unfortunately there was no way to get it unstuck without taking the door panel off. You will understand it better when you see how the mechanism works. There is a plastic piece in the door latch that holds a spring in place. Mine broke in half and got lodged between the latch and the striker bolt. I had to move it out of the way with a very rigid pick (stuck pretty good) while using a mirror. I also had a buddy wiggling the door while I was picking at the plastic piece. It was a huge pain - took about 3 hours to get it. very awkward area to work in. I ordered a new latch off ebay and it should be here in a few days. It might also help to look at how the other door latch works from the inside. Good luck, i know i needed it!
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Past Administrator

Don, that is a great idea for removing the window crank. Much better than my idea. I am going to use it from now on.