New user here, new 86 Cultlass brougham owner

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM

New user here, new 86 Cultlass brougham owner

Hi!
I recently purchased a 1986 Cutlass Supreme Brougham from an elderly woman, who was the original owner. It's kind of high mileage @ 177K, but it was garage kept so for the age it is in excelent condition. The body is just about 100% straight with no rust, which is unusual in S. Fla. The interior is complete, only fairly dirty. No cracks in the dash, no rips in the seat fabric. It runs pretty good for grocery runs (original 305 V8), but obviously would need work to get some some *****.

I did not go out looking for this type of car. Without getting into a long story, I was looking for a solid running "beater" to drive for a few months, at which time I would buy another new vehicle. I found this car by chance, but it fit what I was looking for and only cost me $800. Now that I have it, the gearhead in me is seeing the potential. I am imagining rebuilding the engine and tranny, with some upgrades Paint job, suspension work, headers, rims etc.

Soo... This is why I found this forum and why I am posting here.. I am trying to decide what to do ultimately with the car. After the few months are over, I would hate to see this potential go to waste. This car is solid, the perfect foundation for a project.

Thoughts
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM
2Blue 55

hello and welcome to the forum. your car sounds great, you should post up some pictures to show us we would love to see them. I would agree that it is an excellent car to restore. It is the perfect potential. And it is even better because it is an olds. you would definatly be happy when it is don if you choose to do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and we hope you will enjoy the forum.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi, and welcome. If you want to put some ***** in your "Olds", look for an olds 350/350 combo. I've seen them available on this forum. Mod's would be light,outcome would suprise you. You could also keep the a/c working. Money better spent than on the 305. Allthough, There are lots of upgrades for the 305, if you want to shop around. Just my opinion, best of luck with your ride.
Jim's rare 80.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome here to our site! Enjoy your stay, and we are looking forward to pics!
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. You asked for a pic, here you go!

http://i18.tinypic.com/2db431v.jpg

I can take more pics if interested, but it really is plain jane original. What is sweet is the fact there is absolutely no rust or major body damage. I can only find a few (very)tiny door dings.

Oh I ran through a whole tank of gas now so I have an idea of what kind of MPG I am getting. In city driving I got just over 16MPG. Kind of a kick in the nuts after driving my TDI VW for over a year, which gets ~35MPG city. I got spoiled by the VW mileage.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Past Administrator

I like that the car still had the "waterfall" grille.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM

If your car is a 305 Chevy then get a Chevy 350!!!!! You will not have to change brackets,transmission(unless unibell), motor mounts, etc. You can build that 350 cheaper than the 305 too! If you don't mind running 91 octane then use the 305 heads - they don't have big valves but that thing will SCREAM! The average 350 head is 76 cc and the 305s are 58cc. It brings your compression up. I have ran 4 motors this way and my cousin runs one and his car went 12.80 with a 100 shot of NOS! It went 13.80 without NOS. It is a budget way to get a STREET STORMER! I have heard MANY arguments on this but I have done this and it WORKS.