68-69 Dual exhaust tabs

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Question 68-69 Dual exhaust tabs

Hi, does anyone have a template or measurements to fabricate the exhaust hanger tabs onto non-dual exhaust bumper brackets. They seem simple enough, but I thought I would check to see if anyone elese has done it. The previous owner had just used universal hangers bolted throught the trunk floor. I will not put holes in my new trunk pan.
Thanks

Adam
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Are they available from the suppliers?
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM

I bought mine from the Parts Place.

Part #: EX2614T $59
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM

Sorry guys, I am not looking for the tailpipe/exhaust hangers. I have the bolt onto bumper bracket style like MX442 showed . The tabs i was asking about are in the pic. The single exhaust bumper brackets do not have these.
This is also mentioned in this thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rome-tips.html

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
exhaust tabs.jpg (117.7 KB, 89 views)
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM

Hello Adam
If you want to try and weld on your on tabs I took a number of photos with a tape measure next to it. Here's a few, but you can view several more on my photobucket site:

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...42/1969%20442/

P1010209.jpg

P1010212.jpg

P1010215.jpg

P1010213.jpg

P1010214.jpg

John
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM

Hey John - 2blu442, those shot are perfect. thank you very much. I am planing on fab-ing L shaped pieces to wrap up to the backside of the bumper bracket. Thanks again
Adam
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM

Glad to help Adam. If you need any other views/measurements let me know. This bumper is for a project car, but it's loose in the shed right now so it's easy to get to. John
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM

68-69 442 dual exhaust bumper brackets

I would like to thank 2blu442 for posting the pics of the bumper brackets.
The cutlass bumper brackets I'm using don't have the neccessary tab.Thank you for taking the time to supply all the measurements needed to modify my brackets.
Mike
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Nice job 2blu442, just the kind of help we need on these never ending projects! Good camera work too.
Tom
68 442 convt (piece by piece, it will live)
70 F85
95 Aurora
moped
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mikenman
I would like to thank 2blu442 for posting the pics of the bumper brackets.
And I'd like to thank Mike for pointing out (by changing the title on his post) that only 442 dual exhaust cars used the unique bumper brackets. Lesser Cutlii with dual exhausts did not, since these were only required to keep the trumpets lined up in the bumper cutouts.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Talking Finally an update.....

I finally got to the point where I am puting on my new exhaust kit. Since I have the 442 cutout bumper and regular Cutlass bumper brackets I had to make some modifications.

John your pictures helped me imensly. I worked up a mounting bracket by first making a cardstock template of how the bumper bracket should look.

I used an L shaped piece cut from a street sign pole for the part the exhaust hanger will hang from. I tapped the bumper bracket to accept a piece of threaded stock. Two large washers and nuts were postioned, JB Metal Weld was used in all the threads and between the washers. The nut was tightened and all was allowed to cure for atleast 48 hours before attaching the L shaped parts and final painting.

Here are some pictures.

You can see the JB Weld squeezed out between pieces when I tightened the nut. You can see the gray JB Weld filling the hole that was drilled in the bracket to hang the old exhaust hanger. The back side of the bracket is smooth since it rested against the frame. I bolt threaded through would not work because the head would be in the way.

Here is my finished product.

Thanks again John. Now I hope everthing lines up for me when it all goes together.

Adam

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but why would you not simply cut the right size pc of metal, drill the two different holes it needs, and WELD that onto the existing bracket, just like the factory part?

Smooth the weld and it'd be almost impossible to tell from factory.
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Not to rain on your parade, but why would you not simply cut the right size pc of metal, drill the two different holes it needs, and WELD that onto the existing bracket, just like the factory part?

Smooth the weld and it'd be almost impossible to tell from factory.
I know what you are saying. I don't weld or have easy access to friend with one. I would not pay the 1/2-3/4 and hour labour plus shop supply charges a couple local places wanted to tack them on. This is all easy to remove and I can do a cleaner job later if I wish. My bumper brackets are a little ugly, even cleaned. I would love to find a set of straighter brackets, even 442 and do a proper looking job. This will get my exhaust on so I can enjoy the summer and continue the pretty up jobs over the winter. I have already missed 2 months of drivable weather waiting for parts and time to do things. Don't worry, no offense taken.

Adam
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Ah, I see. Well, it should serve the purpose.

Back when I was working at the Ag. Eng. research lab at the University, I would readily do quick little jobs like that for folks. I suggest yo recruit some connections at community college, University, etc.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Ah, I see. Well, it should serve the purpose.

Back when I was working at the Ag. Eng. research lab at the University, I would readily do quick little jobs like that for folks. I suggest yo recruit some connections at community college, University, etc.
I understand, however...

I am having some issuse, minor ones I hope with my exhaust fitment. Due to the kit I bought actually being for a 70-71 Pontiac GTO. A few hangers differences will make my tabs be used in a way that was not exactly as intended.

I will be making a fuller thread regarding my install.

I have a Cutlass, not 442, hence modifying my brackets. I have a exhaust hanger set for a dual Cutlass and a Set with my pipes for a dual GTO. The GTO hangers do not seem the same as the 442 but the pipes do.

The biggest issuse really is no one makes a 2.5", true dual setup for '68-69 442. I quess the cutouts are indifferent spots than 70-72. The GTO is supposed to be the same. The rear exhaust/tailpipe hangers are different.

If more or different mods are needed I am glad I didn't make a perfect cleaner job at first.

I would love to pick up a mig, I have done some in the past, but any free car money is for the car right now. Still having fun though.

Adam

Old June 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Time to eat some crow.

DON'T do what I did. The bumper bracket is not thick or strong or both enough to hold well. While mine looked and felt strong in the hand, I managed to twist one crooked while trying to tweak my new tailpipes. When I tried to correct it I pulled it out of the threads I had tapped into the bracket. Welding would be the best way.

In hindsight, the tabs I had made would not have helped with my Pypes kit since the tailpipes are routed a little different and I end up using some different mounting points.

I still really want to thank John for his help on this and countless other bits of info he gives. I hope this thread will still help others.

All being said, I wasted an hour and drilled two extra holes in my car.
She will be lighter now by grams! Better fuel economy for me.

Cheers to all.

Adam
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:47 PM

Found this thread and it saved me a ton of research. I cut some 2"x 1/8" steel and welded the tabs. I will drill the holes when I install the exhaust. Thought I would include some pics.
Attached Images
IMG_7702.JPG (2.01 MB, 41 views)
IMG_7703.JPG (2.21 MB, 41 views)
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:39 PM
72 Olds CS

nice work