72 Supreme suspension, need upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM

72 Supreme suspension, need upgrade advice

I have a 72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with a 350 Rocket engine and 350th the interior has a center console floor shift...which I have read is a problem with headers and a dual exhaust...the car has been a rolling project for approx 5 yrs. I really havent done to much to the car mechanically. I would like to get it from a 20 footer to a 10 footer and so on..... right now I need to get a pair of headers installed and get the exhaust replaced or repaired...it also seems to be riding low at all 4 corners. As far as I can tell the suspension has not been worked on before. Possibly org...I would like to freshen up the suspension and get it riding higher (beefier, stockier). Can someone please recommend spirngs, suspension parts dual exhaust parts and etc. for this refurb. I have already purchased Monroe air shocks to be installed in the rear, good choice...? One other thing I need advice on is the over powering exhaust smell while Im riding in the car...after a nice cruise I have to come in and practically take a shower to wash out the exhaust odor on my person... The fumes seem to wash back into the car and it is very rich/ heavy, almost undriveable....again any advice is welcome....Thanx in advance for any assistance...

BTW..Great Olds site...Ive seen a wealth of valuable info listed and given by very friendly folks.....

Last edited by psnieds; July 12th, 2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add more info...
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by psnieds
I have a 72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with a 350 Rocket engine and 350th the interior has a center console floor shift...which I have read is a problem with headers and a dual exhaust...
Don't believe everything you read. There is no functional difference between your Supreme convert and any other Cutlass/442 from that year. All headers will have some fitment issues - mainly the need to relocate the brake distribution block on the frame - but that is not related to your car being either a Supreme or a convertible. Just order headers for a Cutlass/442 with your drivetrain combo.
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM

thats good

Thank You Joe...I appreciate the response...
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Past Administrator

Are you referring to a heavy/rich smell or just an exhaust smell? If the former is true you might just need a tune-up, if the latter is true then you probably have an exhaust leak that should be corrected when you put the headers on the car as you most certainly will be replacing the pipes the rest of the way back as well.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Try to check for the source of the smell with the engine running and car parked.
If it originates under the hood and your rubber hood-cowl seal is shot, the fumes may be entering through the vent / heater / AC system. If this is the case, both problems should be fixed.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM

ok...

The exhaust smell (heavy fumes possibly from an out of tune carb) seems to be coming from the rear which makes sense ..but it seems to wash into the car from the back ...it def could be an exhaust leak, since the exhaust is excessively loud. I do have an Edelbrock carb I was going to swap into it along with the matching intake manifold...does anyone have any expierience with this swap out, easy hard...etc. I forget the exact model of carb and intake but they matched to the year and make of my Cutlass. I was hoping this might eliminate the heavy exhaust if the quadrajet was the problem. I was going to take the car to my local mechanic and have him do all the before mentioned tasks(headers, carb, intake, springs etc..) but Im having a hard time parting with the $500-$1000. I can possibly do the work but I dont want the car to be down for too long if I do it.....any advice is appreciated...thanx for listening....