Please help identify Heater Controls

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2018, 07:00 AM

Please help identify Heater Controls

I'm putting all of the factory heater and A/c parts back in my 66 Cutlass and as I dig through the box of what was removed ages ago I find two heater controllers, slightly different. I took the heater/A/c stuff out years ago so the one with cables is very likely what I removed, but I'm missing one **** so I get to looking at the other controller (which I would guess was in the box of stuff that I got with the car originally) and pictures on the good ole interweb. It looks like the spare controller has the ***** that are supposed to be on my controller but I'm having trouble confirming this...I'm hoping y'all can help me out. Which controller and ***** are correct?

spare controller

removed from 66 cutlass
Old December 22nd, 2018, 07:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Top is 67, bottom is 64-66

EDIT: To clarify, the bottom has 64-66 style *****. The control head part number is actually different for each year from 64-66, but the ***** are the same. I do not know what the exact differences are.
Old December 22nd, 2018, 05:04 PM

My 65 has the non a/c control like the top but with the bottom control *****.
Old December 31st, 2018, 02:11 PM

Thank you gentlemen.
Do either of you know where I could get new ***** for the 66 A/C head unit (or good used ones).
My car is 66 with AC thus it seems I'm simply missing a **** (and I have a spare head for a non-a/c car). Again, I really appreciate your help.

Brion
Old May 17th, 2020, 06:56 PM

Okay,
I'm reviving this post...of sorts. My project had taken a turn but now I'm back at it. I've got all the a/c parts rounded up (I think), the heater and A/C boxes rebuilt (I'm still missing the side vent adapter but I'm struggling to find one of those) and I'm working on repairing the blower switch. The individual that took the A/C out before I got the car did me the favor of removing "spare wires"...i.e. they are cut off under the dash and nowhere to be found in the engine compartment. I got a service manual so that I'd have wiring diagrams and I'll be darned if it doesn't match my car (shows 4 wires on switch, 3 on resistor, no a/c)? It appears my blower switch has 4 positions starting at low and ending at high, but no Off (5 terminals on the switch, 4 on the resistor, a relay on the heater box). The only other switch I see on the control head is on the A/C lever, which I'd guess controls the compressor since it only closes on Normal and Recirc. So, before I go sketching out a diagram and starting from scratch....anyone have any insights or accurate literature on how this would have been wired originally (including some insight into how the fan shuts off if the switch goes Low to High with no off position)? Something seems amiss, but I'm no expert in these cars like some of you are. Thanks in Advance!
Old May 19th, 2020, 08:28 PM

I have a 66 with AC and my controller matches the bottom picture of your original post. My AC is not functional at the moment, and I have some of the ducting out as the cabling from the lower lever hangs up and I'm trying to address that. Anyway, the fan turns off when you move the lower lever to the off position - to the left, and the top lever is in the off position to the left as well. So, if you move the top lever to Heat, or all the way over to the Off on the right side, the fan runs. If you move the lower lever to the Vent or further to the right, the fan runs.

Do you have the assembly manual? That provided me with the different connections on the back if I remember right. I had to remove the controller because all of the plastic studs were broken and the controller was just hanging in there from the grounding lug.
Old May 19th, 2020, 08:51 PM

Also, my original post where I asked about repairing those studs holding the controller has a photo from the rear that might help you some.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...repair-132769/

If you don't have the assembly manual, PM me and I can send you that section. It's not too big for an email.