67 trans kickdown/throttle linkage

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2018, 04:19 PM

67 trans kickdown/throttle linkage

ok guys, i need a lil help here. my 1 owner 67 supreme is having issues. i have had no "kickdown" since i brought it home. no matter how hard you step on it. i thought maybe part of this was in the throttle linkage adjustment. i can run the adjuster in either direction, as far as it goes, and no kickdown. so just where exactly is it supposed to be adjusted to?
related, but seperate issue: the switch pitch no longer works either. i understand theres basically an "acceleration" pitch and a "cruise" pitch. i started to have a hard time taking off from a stand still, i guessed it was stuck in cruise pitch. was like the trans was slipping. i unplugged the wires that go to the trans from the linkage, and viola! its takes off fine now, no slip.
so my understanding is that from the wires down to the trans, everything is still right. if it was internal, the slipping wouldnt have stopped with just unplugging it. i know no one makes a repop of that switch on the throttle linkage. hell, cant even find a good pic to put on here. has anyone taken it apart? whats in that magic box? how does it work?
i would love to have it all right again, and if theres a way to force an earlier downshift( other than hand shifting to first) that would be awesome.
thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this
Old December 15th, 2018, 06:10 AM

I would suspect the connector to the transmission solenoid has either broke or come loose. The transmission connector is located on the drivers side.
Old December 15th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Both the kickdown and converter pitch are activated using electric solenoid valves in the transmission. The accelerator bellcrank on the firewall has the electric switch that provides power to these solenoids when you move the gas pedal. Adjusting the linkage to the carb does nothing except screw up how much the carb opens. There is an adjustment of the switch position on the bellcrank, but it is extremely unlikely that this is the problem. Either you have an electrical issue (like no power to the switch) or the switch itself has gone bad. That is unfortunately not uncommon and no one makes reproductions. Get a 1967 Chassis Service Manual and read the part about the kickdown wiring, troubleshooting, and adjustment.
Old December 15th, 2018, 08:16 AM

the connector at the transmission is good. its all gotta be in that bellcrank. so, i have three wires that plug in there. the two wire plug( white/black) that goes to the transmission, and an orange wire that comes from a wiring loom near the voltage regulator. i have hot with the key on at that orange wire.
Since they no longer produce them, has anyone taken the switch apart and cleaned, fixed it?

Last edited by irydasteelhorse; December 15th, 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old December 15th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, orange wire is hot with key on. Of the other two, the black or black with orange stripe is the kickdown and should only get power at W.O.T. The other is the converter and is powered both at idle and at W.O.T. Others have carefully bent the tabs to disassemble the switch, clean the contacts, and reassemble it.
Old December 15th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Administrator

There are 2 links in this thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-problem.html