79 Cutlass questions

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:55 PM

79 Cutlass questions

I知 new here not sure if I知 asking or doing this right but I just got a 1979 cutlass 5 speed and I知 not sure what it痴 worth or how many are out there this car was built in Arlington Tx by its VIN # the motor was rebuilt and it has less than a 1,000 miles on it and I知 not sure what I want to do with it , keep it or sale it , does anyone know anything about these cars and how many made and how many still out there????
Old December 6th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Can you post a few photos, would like to see it.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:36 AM

You need to be more specific. There were three Cutlass lines in 1979, the Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Calais, and Cutlass Salon, the last of which was the one with the sloping rear roof line. Production of these three models varied considerably, with the Supreme being by far the most popular with over 400,000 built compared to about 50,000 Salons and 44,000 Calais. It would also help to know which engine is in the car as several were available, including a diesel.

There is no way to know for sure how many are still out there as no one keeps these records. But with production numbers like these, these cars are not rare today, and they're not terribly popular in the collector car market, at least as compared to earlier model years.

Having said all of the above, these cars, regardless of which particular model or particular engine, are not worth a lot of money, even in showroom condition. Perhaps $5,000 or $6,000 for a Supreme in showroom condition, perhaps $3,000 to $4,000 for the other two in similar condition.

As suggested, posting some photos along with the additional information would help.
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Condition is important of course. A low mile original well kept Brougham or bucket seat Calais against a high mile repaint base model. However, the value in this generation Cutlass depends on the options. A base model is not in big demand. If you have a loaded out Supreme Brougham with leather, T Tops plus every option that was offered, it's another story. I think the factory 5 speed is a pretty big deal. Not many floating around. If by any chance this car is a factory diesel with the 5 speed, send it my way.... I have been looking for one. Only a handful of Diesel Cutlasses were ordered with the 5 speed. I would love to locate a slantback Salon with a diesel and 5 speed. From GM records, less than 100 were built. Show us some photos if possible.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:18 AM

If it's a 5 speed manual, it will be the Olds 260 motor, be it gas or Diesel (?). The 4 speed manuals got the Chevy 305. Not many of these made, not many are left. Fun to drive and a real novelty, this is a car to keep and enjoy for sure. You will have not too many others out there that have the same as you, that's for sure. It's nice they made any at all as manuals were really giving way to the automatics back in the day. As far as value, the others here nailed it. Rare doesn't always mean valuable, whatever the market will bear.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; December 7th, 2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old December 8th, 2018, 04:27 AM

Like BlueCalais79 said, if it's a 5-speed, it was only available behind the Olds 260 V8 2bbl gas motor or the 260 V8 diesel. The 5th digit in your VIN would be an F if it's the 260 gas, or a P if it's the diesel. The 7th digit would be an R for the Arlington, Texas plant. Over the years I have seen production numbers from several sources and they seem to suggest that 409 Cutlasses got the 260 gas/5-speed, and 267 Cutlasses got the diesel/5-speed. Rare, yes, but not in high demand so prices are still low. I've had 4 manual transmission Cutlasses. They are fun cars! I say don't worry about the value and just drive it. Every time I brought mine to a car show I always had a crowd looking at it. No one seemed to know that they existed with the manual transmissions. Everyone and their brother seemed to have a Cutlass back in the day but no one had a manual. Enjoy it!
Old December 10th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Hopefully, the original poster will reply again with some photos. He seemed so curious for a quick answer but where is he now a week later? "78Cutlass4Speed", I also recall production of 5 speed one year only 79 260 Cutlass diesels to be in the mid 200 something range, however, there were more than 409 260 gas 5 speeds. Production was in the 3000 range, still rare. They pop up, not everyday, but often. I have been trying for several years now to talk this 80+ year old into selling his 79 T Top Brougham 260 diesel 5 speed. He bought it new to commute to work on the highway during the second gas crunch of 79. He said the car would pull 30mpg on the highway. It's the only original 260 diesel 5 speed Brougham that I know of anywhere plus, being a fully loaded T Top car, I can't imagine more than 5 to 10 were built like that. He special ordered the car and it took 4 months to arrive. He refuses to sell the car although it just sits in his garage so I keep checking in every few months. I will keep working on it.
Old December 10th, 2018, 02:05 PM

Keep at it and he'll eventually give in. Most stories in the car magazines I read seem to start out that way. When the owner is ready, he'll sell it, especially to an enthusiast who will enjoy the car as much as he has. Probably hard for him to let it go since he's owned it for almost 40 years. I've had my 1979 Hurst/Olds for almost 22 years now. It's become "one of the family" just like my real kids. Had to imagine not owning it some day.
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:19 AM

Oldsmobile diesel exhaust has a very nice aroma.
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Geez, he still won't give that 5 speed up? Here's what to watch for: newspapers piling up, the grass not cut for months, and/or the snow wasn't shoveled, mail falling out of the box due to overflow. That probably would mean he died. Then you can buy the car from the estate.
Old December 12th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Geez, he still won't give that 5 speed up? Here's what to watch for: newspapers piling up, the grass not cut for months, and/or the snow wasn't shoveled, mail falling out of the box due to overflow. That probably would mean he died. Then you can buy the car from the estate.
Oh you remember my post from, I guess it's been over 2 years now. Remember that rare bird also has the crazy art deco Mojave Brougham design interior to top it off? It must be a one of a kind Cutlass. I would much rather buy the car from the man while he is still around and reassure him it's going to the right home. He was 85 the last time I saw the car around the fall of 2016 so he is 87 now and still kicking. I hope to someday put this 79 5 speed T Top diesel in the garage next to my 80 Cutlass Supreme Brougham diesel to make a pair. I already made out a nice Christmas card which I will mail him along with an Oldsmobile key chain and a few other trinkets. I sent a card last year and he did send a card back wishing me warm returns. I admit, I type his name in the obits sometimes but again, I would much rather do this with him in person. I once kept asking a nice old fellow to offer me first chance at his beautiful Packard convertible for 11 years until he finally called me one day and said, "OK, I admire you for not giving up, I'm going to be 90 next week so the car is yours, however, you can't go and flip it for profit". I went and picked it up the next day before he would chance his mind. I told him I wanted to keep the car, not to resell. I still have it today, as promised. I'll never forget that day or that kind person. He knew his car would be cared for. This happened in the mid 1990s.

Last edited by Herbie; December 12th, 2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old December 13th, 2018, 07:23 AM

In my opinion you are the right buyer for this car. I surely hope this fellow sees that some day.