couple of questions about my clock

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 11:27 AM

couple of questions about my clock

the only thing that doesn't work on my 1969 Cutlass S is the clock, i'm sure that's quite common after 50 years. after looking in my service manual, it appears that there are 2 brackets with screws that hold the clock in place, i located those. if i understand correctly, once those screws are removed, the clock should come out of the dash towards the interior of the car? has anyone removed their clock recently? also, what is typically wrong with these components? is it something that can be tackled by me, or is there a good place to send it to for restoration? i have put a quartz conversion in several other GM clocks in the past, is this the way to go? thanks, Rick

Last edited by razman427; October 30th, 2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old October 30th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by razman427
...what is typically wrong with these components? ... i have put a quartz conversion in several other GM clocks in the past, is this the way to go?
Rick, I'm not sure how the 1969 clock comes out, but the 1970 comes out similarly to what you described. Someone will confirm this.

An operating clock winds itself every few minutes. You've probably heard them click. Winding is done when a spring-loaded armature winds down and closes a set of contact points. When the points close, a electro-magnet attracts the armature and starts the process again. The spring-loaded armature is what keeps the clock operating. Typically, the battery has run down at some point in the car's life and the electro-magnet didn't get enough current to rewind. The points stayed shut, putting some amount of current through them continuously. This welds them shut. You can fix this by separating the points and flattening each side with a points file.

You can have the clock converted to quartz, but the movement of the second hand makes it obvious that the clock has non-stock internals. If you don't intend to have your car judged, this may not make any difference to you.
Old October 30th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Yes, as has been stated, as long as it is a Borg clock you can convert it to the Quartz movement. I have done MANY of them for customers along with restoring all the gauges in your dash & the interior rear view mirrors. Feel free to call with any questions.
Scott
317-727-7041
Old October 31st, 2018, 08:17 PM

Yes, the clock comes out the front. If your going to tackle it I would strongly suggest taking out the seat. Lay a heavy blanket on the floor, otherwise the seat studs will shred your back. Your going to need and assortment of 1/4 sockets and extensions, and some patients. I’d love to know how the guys on the line built these cars, I know the dashes were installed fully assembled, but the screws and nuts that hold the dash to the car are buried and hard to see, let alone tighten. Since I work in a factory, and always see guys with clipboards, pocket protectors and stopwatches, top brass is always looking to get things done faster
Old November 1st, 2018, 04:01 PM

thanks to everyone who replied, exactly the info i needed! Rick
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:09 AM

Before you convert to quartz. Since your clock is out look inside and you will see a pair of points. Much like ignition points. Take some fine sandpaper and clean them up as much as possible. The way the original clock works is when the clock spring runs down it gets to a point where these contacts make a closed circuit and it rewinds the spring. When the spring rewinds, the contacts open. The spring unwinds and start the process again. Unless your clock is very dirty it should run or you can take it than old fashioned clock repair to have it cleaned and lubed. I have cleaned them with compressed contacts cleaner in the past. Maybe brake cleaner would work too just don't destroy the balance spring.