1965 cutlass power steering bracket woes

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM

1965 cutlass power steering bracket woes

hey all, I had started giving my 65 cutlass a basic tune up and replaced basic components including valve covers and gaskets, I had a whale of a time getting the power steering bracket removed, it required me prying off with a screwdriver. now that the gaskets and new valve covers (edelbrock that are slightly taller than stock and required a beating with a hammer to fit) I cant seem to get everything lined up. I cannot for the life of me get the rear bracket that goes to the head stud/intake manifold/rear of power steering pump to line up to the more forward bracket, has anyone encountered this before? any and all help is appreciated! its a 65 cutlass 330 W/O AC
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by snotrocket71
hey all, I had started giving my 65 cutlass a basic tune up and replaced basic components including valve covers and gaskets, I had a whale of a time getting the power steering bracket removed, it required me prying off with a screwdriver. now that the gaskets and new valve covers (edelbrock that are slightly taller than stock and required a beating with a hammer to fit) I cant seem to get everything lined up. I cannot for the life of me get the rear bracket that goes to the head stud/intake manifold/rear of power steering pump to line up to the more forward bracket, has anyone encountered this before? any and all help is appreciated! its a 65 cutlass 330 W/O AC
ASSUMING the bracket isn't hitting the valve cover still, I've had this same problem on my 67 Delta with a similar PS pump bracket. Be sure all the fasteners in all the brackets are loose. I've had to pull the pulley off the PS pump and unbolt the pump from the front bracket, put the rear bracket in place, and then get all the fasteners started. It's a bit of a PITA, but it can be done without using force. Step away from the hammer.
Old August 4th, 2018, 02:14 AM

thanks for the words of encouragement! i'm going to try and tackle it tomorrow. how I wish there were an OEM serpentine set up to easily get rid of the v-belts!
Old August 4th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by snotrocket71
thanks for the words of encouragement! i'm going to try and tackle it tomorrow. how I wish there were an OEM serpentine set up to easily get rid of the v-belts!
There are no OEM serpentine setups unless you can find one of the extremely rare diesel V6 motors. In any case, the stock V-belts work fine. Bracket interference with non-stock valve covers isn't caused by the V-belts. It's caused by selecting parts that don't match. You can also adapt a 68-up style PS pump bracket. This photo is from a 1965 442 at the OCA Nationals yesterday.

Old August 4th, 2018, 11:48 AM

yeah I had known about the 4.3 diesel serpentine, I suppose I was just thinking of the convenience of serpentines although each system has its pluses and minuses. I had believed the edelbrocks to be stock height and have had them on newer oldsmobiles clear even ac brackets etc. I think it was less a matter of selecting mismatched parts as it was me making a decision based on previous experiences and applying it to my current set up, also I had them with new gaskets laying around so why not use what I have already! thank you for the picture, its a nice reference point and good to know I can down the road use a later style pump/bracket if need be.