in search of build sheet, found this!

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2018, 12:46 PM

in search of build sheet, found this!

1969 Cutlass S with 48k original miles..unrestored and untouched. i decided to try to find the build sheet/broadcast sheet. i pulled the rear seat out last night and found some documentation. i'm assuming this is a portion of the build sheet that was given to the upholstery guy, (basically all it contains is body color, interior number and body number) it was actually attached to the rear seat framework with hog ties. i went ahead and pulled the seat back out also, and didn't find anything else. where would the most likely place to find the build sheet on a Lansing october 68 built car?? thanks! Rick

Last edited by razman427; June 17th, 2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old June 17th, 2018, 01:03 PM

Soft Trim broadcast card......that gave the line inspection the specs on the interior.
Old June 17th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Shoveling Snow

Well more correct it's a Fisher body broadcast card. The body #s should match the trim tag under the hood.
Old June 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM

yep, numbers on this card match the trim tag. does any body have a best guess for where the chassis and body broadcast sheets would be?
Old June 17th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Randy C.

You will be extremely lucky to find a build sheet on a Lansing car. The assembly people were pretty thorough about removing things that weren't supposed to be there and the build sheet was one of them.

Places to look, just in case: Above the gas tank (between the tank and the tank pad), behind a bucket seat back, behind a rear seat side panel, behind a door panel, stuffed up in the dash.

Randy C.
Old June 20th, 2018, 03:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I wouldn't tear the car apart looking for it. If it was supposed to be in the car it would be in the document folder given to whoever bought it new.
Some factories were sloppy about removing them, apparently Lansing wasn't.
The sheet you found was supposed to be there, or it wouldn't be hog tied to the seat.
But you might get lucky, people win lotto jackpots after all.

Roger.
Old June 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I wouldn't tear the car apart looking for it. If it was supposed to be in the car it would be in the document folder given to whoever bought it new.
Some factories were sloppy about removing them, apparently Lansing wasn't.
The sheet you found was supposed to be there, or it wouldn't be hog tied to the seat.
But you might get lucky, people win lotto jackpots after all.

Roger.
i agree....not worth tearing the car apart to locate the build sheet.....i did pull the rear seat out (wanted to look, and it made it easier to give interior a good cleaning) and i do intend to drop the gas tank, to clean it out thoroughly, and replace the rubber vent lines and feed line. here's a couple of pics of the interior with seat out...car is amazingly solid.

Old June 20th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by razman427
here's a couple of pics of the interior with seat out...car is amazingly solid.
Not only solid, but amazingly clean. Mine was comparable to what you'd see behind the refrigerator in an old house.
Old June 20th, 2018, 07:01 PM

Expired ice cubes...
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:26 PM

You would be totally grossed out knowing some of the things I found under the back seat of cars when I was installing stereos. I once took the rear seat out of a 73 Nova and found actual plants growing. Your car is practically sterile!
Old June 22nd, 2018, 05:17 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by cjsdad
You would be totally grossed out knowing some of the things I found under the back seat of cars when I was installing stereos. I once took the rear seat out of a 73 Nova and found actual plants growing. Your car is practically sterile!
Not as startled as a friend who imported a Mustang many years ago. Bear in mind it cleared customs and inspection in the USA before shipping, and in the UK when it arrived. He found two sticks of dynamite under the back seat.

Roger.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by razman427
where would the most likely place to find the build sheet on a Lansing october 68 built car??
You won't find one. As Rusty Roger notes, the Lansing plant was meticulous about not leaving them in the car.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Well more correct it's a Fisher body broadcast card. The body #s should match the trim tag under the hood.
It depends.....IF the plant had a Fisher Body process.

When I worked at Framingham in 1972, there was no separate Fisher Body plant providing the bodies. They were all built on the same assembly line.