change single exhaust to dual?? - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Cutlass, 442, and Hurst/Olds > Cutlass
change single exhaust to dual?? >

change single exhaust to dual??

change single exhaust to dual??

Reply

 
 
 
Old June 9th, 2018, 10:05 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 29
change single exhaust to dual??

1969 rocket 350 with factory single exhaust...is there a good way to make this a deal exhaust system WITHOUT manifold swap? thanks..Rick
razman427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 10:16 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 30,691
Yes, you need to buy or fab a cap for the crossover pipe that runs between the 2 manifolds. Then purchase a factory dual exhaust kit, or let an exhaust shop make your system.

cap

oldcutlass is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 29
ok thanks a bunch, that's exactly what i needed to know...it CAN be done!
razman427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 11:18 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 30,691
Yes, its what the factory did.
oldcutlass is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:27 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Fun71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,594
Originally Posted by razman427 View Post
is there a good way to make this a deal exhaust system WITHOUT manifold swap?
The manifolds were the same for single and dual exhaust - there are no "dual exhaust" SBO manifolds.
Fun71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:42 PM
  #6  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 22,605
Originally Posted by Fun71 View Post
The manifolds were the same for single and dual exhaust - there are no "dual exhaust" SBO manifolds.
Well Kenneth, actually there are, but I haven't heard good things about the Thornton 350 Juniors and they cost a lot to buy/ship.




I believe what your post meant to educate with is that there were no factory SBO manifolds. I agree. The N10 option block off plate is the way to go. I bought one from Inlinetube. Likely the same product as what Eric posted above from Supercars, but in a different package.
Allan R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 03:33 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 29
thanks for all of the info, that cinches it for me, i'm gonna go with dual exhaust soon since i can do it the way the factory would have, without changing manifolds. now i just have to decide whether to get a 442 rear bumper for the tail pipes, or just turn the pipes down out the rear. thanks!
razman427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 03:59 PM
  #8  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 22,605
If it's not a 442 (which would come automatically with the 400CID and dual exhausts) the N10 exhaust would be a dual exhaust with downturned tips at the stock rear bumper. If you like the look of the cutout exhaust and trumpet tips, go for it. It WILL increase the cost of your system by a fair margin though. It's aesthetics more than anything but we each have our own desires as to what the car should look like when finished. Your car, your build, your budget.
Allan R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 06:06 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
ELY442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Well Kenneth, actually there are, but I haven't heard good things about the Thornton 350 Juniors and they cost a lot to buy/ship.




I believe what your post meant to educate with is that there were no factory SBO manifolds. I agree. The N10 option block off plate is the way to go. I bought one from Inlinetube. Likely the same product as what Eric posted above from Supercars, but in a different package.
I bought these manifolds from Thorntons and it fits perfectly. I order just the 2 1/4" exhaust pipes from Inline Tube and supplied my own Dynomax super turbo mufflers.
ELY442 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 01:26 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by ELY442 View Post
I bought these manifolds from Thorntons and it fits perfectly. I order just the 2 1/4" exhaust pipes from Inline Tube and supplied my own Dynomax super turbo mufflers.
I also have these on my 67. They fit fine. How much the little cast dividers help is debatable. Given how the PO solved the problem, these are much better. I did find an NOS set of true small block headers, but haven't been motivated to install them.

Tim
tmaleck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:28 PM
  #11  
Registered User
 
droldsmorland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Tax York
Posts: 2,768
Originally Posted by razman427 View Post
thanks for all of the info, that cinches it for me, i'm gonna go with dual exhaust soon since i can do it the way the factory would have, without changing manifolds. now i just have to decide whether to get a 442 rear bumper for the tail pipes, or just turn the pipes down out the rear. thanks!

I prefer the look of proper factory tailpipe turn-downs on a Cutlass...Just my opinion. (pretend you dont see the wing)

Many times this conversion is not performed properly. Such as lack of proper trumpet to bumper dimension or not installing the right tailpipe hangers or both.

Whatever direction you decide to go pay up for the aluminized mandrel bent pipes. I like the stainless steel band clamps vs the standard horseshoe style. Put everything together with a little dab of high temp anti-seize you will thank me the next time you need to take it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969-Rear.jpg (214.7 KB, 17 views)
droldsmorland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 02:43 PM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by droldsmorland View Post
I prefer the look of proper factory tailpipe turn-downs on a Cutlass...Just my opinion. (pretend you dont see the wing)

Many times this conversion is not performed properly. Such as lack of proper trumpet to bumper dimension or not installing the right tailpipe hangers or both.

Whatever direction you decide to go pay up for the aluminized mandrel bent pipes. I like the stainless steel band clamps vs the standard horseshoe style. Put everything together with a little dab of high temp anti-seize you will thank me the next time you need to take it apart.
thanks a bunch, i like the look of your exhaust. beautiful car!!
razman427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
droldsmorland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Tax York
Posts: 2,768
Thats not my car this is....but thanks.

Last edited by droldsmorland; June 26th, 2018 at 08:46 AM.
droldsmorland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:42 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 29
WOW! well, your car is a BEAUT! thanks..
razman427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
arcee1951
Brakes/Hydraulic Systems
14
March 1st, 2016 06:05 AM
Andrew Morris
Big Blocks
19
September 11th, 2012 06:53 AM
JJRitchey
General Questions
1
January 11th, 2012 06:20 PM
65OldsDelta88SuperRocket
Big Blocks
2
October 27th, 2011 09:16 PM
Dant
Small Blocks
26
June 27th, 2011 01:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread