HELLO everyone!!..just picked up this cutlass, question already.

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2018, 12:50 PM

HELLO everyone!!..just picked up this cutlass, question already.

just picked up a 1969 Cutlass, 2 dr coupe with rocket 350, ps, ac, pb, 3sp auto, buckets, console shift, cruise, pw/locks/seat, tilt...car is pretty loaded, and only 48k original miles, original paint, engine etc. (owned by the same guy since it was new, and stored. i'm thrilled with the car, it drives and runs like a new car. pictures to follow! everything still works great except the vacuum lines to the cruise control had split and rotted with age, several are missing. does anyone have a picture or diagram of the correct configuration for the cruise control set up? thanks a bunch! Rick
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM

Here ya go...

This came from the "1969 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual". I highly recommend getting a copy. They're original GM and are on the open market. A more expensive option is to get them from Year One or Fusick. Others here will certainly have even better sources. Oh, and WELCOME ABOARD!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:05 PM

69 Ragtop.....OMGOSH, this is EXACTLY what i needed, have scoured the internet for 2 days looking! btw, i have already ordered the service manual for the car. thanks so much for your help and the warm welcome! Rick
Old June 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM
Randy C.

Here's the page in the assembly manual that specifically addresses the vacuum-operated options on your car. C60 is air conditioning. K30 is cruise control. And A93 is power door locks.

You didn't mention if your car also has a factory trunk release. If so, that vacuum diagram appears in the same area of the assembly manual.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds69PIMsec1-5p214.jpg (1,002.7 KB, 45 views)
Old June 2nd, 2018, 05:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by razman427
69 Ragtop.....OMGOSH, this is EXACTLY what i needed, have scoured the internet for 2 days looking! btw, i have already ordered the service manual for the car. thanks so much for your help and the warm welcome! Rick

Welcome. If you plan to do any work to this car, spend the money and buy an original factory Chassis Service Manual. The $30 or so you spend will be money well spent. Don't waste your time with a repro or electronic versions. There were never any electronic originals in 1969, so any you find today will be scans of a paper original, and detail is lost in the process.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 07:46 AM

Welcome, sounds like a nice score.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:05 AM

thanks everyone for the diagrams, JUST what i needed, and i got the cruise control all configured last night. here's a couple of pics!

Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Rocket Renegade!

That's a nice car!
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
That's a nice car!
thank you!
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Here's the page in the assembly manual that specifically addresses the vacuum-operated options on your car. C60 is air conditioning. K30 is cruise control. And A93 is power door locks.

You didn't mention if your car also has a factory trunk release. If so, that vacuum diagram appears in the same area of the assembly manual.

Randy C.
thanks a bunch, the diagram on the left with the two different vac canisters is EXACTLY like my car, so it was just what i needed! btw...my car does have the vacuum trunk release! (i just didn't know it yet, lol)
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:42 AM
Randy C.

Wow, that is really a beautiful car! Glad the diagrams helped. With the chassis service manual you should also purchase a Product Information Manual, more commonly referred to as an assembly manual. There is so much information in both manuals that is great to know, or have access to, in a time of need.

Does your cruise control work? I have the same set-up on my '69 but it doesn't work. It's either the transducer (what you pictured) or a vacuum leak that I haven't found as of yet.

Randy C.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 12:23 PM

Wow, that is really a beautiful car! Glad the diagrams helped. With the chassis service manual you should also purchase a Product Information Manual, more commonly referred to as an assembly manual. There is so much information in both manuals that is great to know, or have access to, in a time of need.

Does your cruise control work? I have the same set-up on my '69 but it doesn't work. It's either the transducer (what you pictured) or a vacuum leak that I haven't found as of yet.

Randy C.
thanks Randy....yes, the cruise works great! i'd like to see a pic of your car.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 02:27 PM

Nice. Looks like Tahitian Turquoise for the paint. Paint code on the cowl should be 55. Post pics of the interior when you get a chance. That mid series beside it doesn't look too shabby either.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nice. Looks like Tahitian Turquoise for the paint. Paint code on the cowl should be 55. Post pics of the interior when you get a chance. That mid series beside it doesn't look too shabby either.
yep, paint code 55 E...i'm assuming the E is for the white vinyl top. thanks, the vette is 66 427/425hp vert that i spent 2 years on the frame off restoration.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 03:50 PM

Very sharp car. Looks great and nicely optioned.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 04:11 PM
Randy C.

Rick,
Here's a pic of both of the Oldsmobiles I have. Both are "numbers" cars - everything either came on each car or could have come on each car! I just made sure the dates on the parts I had to find are consistent with the build date of each car. The '68 earned "Best of Class" at the OCA Nationals in Reno in 2011. It has also been in the family since new. I just got lucky and found the '69 near Fresno back in 1987.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1009171351.jpg (1.80 MB, 27 views)
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:17 PM

Rick,
Here's a pic of both of the Oldsmobiles I have. Both are "numbers" cars - everything either came on each car or could have come on each car! I just made sure the dates on the parts I had to find are consistent with the build date of each car. The '68 earned "Best of Class" at the OCA Nationals in Reno in 2011. It has also been in the family since new. I just got lucky and found the '69 near Fresno back in 1987.

Randy C.
Randy...thanks for sharing! You'e got a couple of real beauts there!
Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:41 AM

Welcome, Razman427. The Cutlass looks excellent. Great find!

The folks here at Classic Olds are the best on the web, hands down. They have helped me out more times than I can count, and will not steer you wrong with any advice you may need.
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:52 AM

Rick,

Randy C.

Hey Randy,
I noticed that both your cars have SSI wheels on them, are they original? I thought that they had a beauty ring on SSI's?
Old July 12th, 2018, 09:37 AM

I thought that they had a beauty ring on SSI's?
That did not happen until 1970.
Old July 12th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That did not happen until 1970.

That is what I thought. But I have none olds folks tell me that the non beauty ring wheel is a chevy wheel as they do not reproduce the original beauty ring wheel for 68 69 models. Thanks for the info!
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:11 PM

SO what wheel options where available for the 68 and 69 Cutlass?
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DurasII
SO what wheel options where available for the 68 and 69 Cutlass?

Old July 12th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Randy C.

Per Joe's post, there were a host of wheel/wheel cover and tire options for '68. My '68 originally came with the N95 wire wheel covers with the N63 white stripe tire, but I never liked that look (looks like and old man's 4-4-2 and I'm only 67!). If you didn't specify a particular wheel, you got the steel wheel with the small hub cap instead of a full wheel cover.

I always liked the look of the SSI wheel over the SSII. However, it could be a bit "tricky", per se, in dealing with the SSI for the '68 model year, especially if you are a "NUMBERS" person. Back then, they didn't refer to the super stock wheels as SSI or SSII. There was just the original chrome-rimmed super stock wheel for model years '66 and '67. At the beginning of the '68 model year, the old PO5 option (what we now call the SSI and would not accommodate the disc brake option) was replaced by a new PO5 option (what we now call the SSII and does accommodate the disc brake option). However, there were production issues with the new super stock wheel and it appears that use of the old super stock wheel was continued into the '68 model year with the limited availability of the new super stock wheel. That issue was apparently resolved towards the end of March 1968 when the new super stock wheel became fully available.

With the start of the '69 model year, Oldsmobile offered both wheels as options, the old super stock wheel being given back the P05 option code an referred to as the SSI (wheel code LE), and the new super stock wheel being given the N66 option code and referred to as the SSII (wheel code LS). To make it even more interesting, there was an apparent strong enough demand for an SSI wheel that would accommodate disc brakes and it appears that wheel showed up sometime in March 1969 (wheel code LY). Although all the super stock wheels are hard to come by nowadays, the LY super stock wheel seems particularly hard to find. I believe the LY wheel production was somewhat limited.

The rims on all of these SSI wheels were chrome plated and did not use trim rings. The SSII wheels did use trim rings as did most follow-on model year SSI wheels.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about super stock wheels!

Randy C.