Loose convert top

Old May 9th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Loose convert top

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
The convertible top fabric has either stretched since installation or was not tightened sufficiently when installed. I do not know who did the installation. Is it possible to re tighten it and can I do it myself?
Old May 10th, 2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
The convertible top fabric has either stretched since installation or was not tightened sufficiently when installed. I do not know who did the installation. Is it possible to re tighten it and can I do it myself?
This could be caused by several things, depending on where the loose fabric is. Staples could have pulled loose, screws holding the rear retaining bar could have their holes stripped out, screws holding the frame together - or to the car - could have come loose, the sail panels could have come unglued, etc.

A picture or two would go a long way...
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:12 PM

All the mechanical parts are tight. It just seems that the fabric should be tighter. When it rains water collects in puddles in two or three places on the top. Next time it rains I'll take some pics. Maybe this is normal? It's my first convertible.
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:18 PM

I have a convertible and have been thinking about your problem. My thought is that this is -NOT- a task I would be handling myself.

I would get a professional assessment of the situation and then think about the what/how to remedy.
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
All the mechanical parts are tight. It just seems that the fabric should be tighter. When it rains water collects in puddles in two or three places on the top. Next time it rains I'll take some pics. Maybe this is normal? It's my first convertible.

Definitely should not be puddling.
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:07 AM

Here is a picture after a shower
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:49 AM

That shouldn't be happening. I replaced my top last June because the old one had a couple of tears but even the old one never did that. Not sure how to fix something like that without replacing it. Hopefully the frame is okay.

Old May 16th, 2018, 07:54 AM

I see the car's been sitting outside. Did it sit out in the winter where heavy Saskatchewan snow loads would stretch the material? If so, it's time for new fabric and a check of the frame. The fabric had stretched front-to back only you could unstaple the fabric at the header bar (front) and re-stretch it, but it appears to be stretched in both directions.
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
The fabric had stretched front-to back only you could unstaple the fabric at the header bar (front) and re-stretch it
The top has "tabs" that are glued under the side window seals, so those would also need to be detached in order to move the fabric forward.
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:53 PM

The car was stored inside for the winter as it was the winter before. Prior to that don't know. The roof frame appears in like new condition but I can't tell if it's been flattened some. I guess I'll have to take it to an installer and see what they say. I was hoping it might be something I could fix myself.