Windshield

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2018, 07:59 AM

Windshield

Have a 1972 Cutlass Convertible......I need a new windshield. It seems tough to find. Does anyone know where I can get one from.

I always find windshields, but there is always a note that says, "Does not fit convertible unless noted"
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:34 AM

I have a good convertible windshield here in Indianapolis BUT any good local glass company should be able to get you a new one reasonably inexpensive. Around here I can get a new one installed for +/- $300.00.
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rosco920
Have a 1972 Cutlass Convertible......I need a new windshield. It seems tough to find. Does anyone know where I can get one from.

I always find windshields, but there is always a note that says, "Does not fit convertible unless noted"
I have the same year convertible and just had mine replaced. The glass company I went with ordered it and got it in 3 days. As I have AC it needed to be tinted and had the antenna built into it. Two very competent folks came to my house and did the install and did a great job - even letting me hit the top of the dash with some paint when they removed the windshield to even out the paint job I did when the windshield was still in in a few years ago. $300 plus tax.

If you can I suggest that you get some 0000 steel wool and polish up the trim while it's off too - really made a difference.
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:57 AM

Guys - thanks for the help! I've found one. Pilkington Classics are shipping me one $200 total w/ shipping. Thanks a lot for the help and keep these guys in mind for future references.

It would have been $300 total if I had to ship by freight. It was $200 because I will pick it up from their distro center in Gelndale Heights, IL. I'm not too far from them.
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:24 AM

Guys - thanks for the help! I've found one. Pilkington Classics are shipping me one $200 total w/ shipping. Thanks a lot for the help and keep these guys in mind for future references.

It would have been $300 total if I had to ship by freight. It was $200 because I will pick it up from their distro center in Gelndale Heights, IL. I'm not too far from them.
I assume you'll be installing it yourself so good luck! If you get cold feet I recommend International Auto Glass for the install. Bob and Joe did a great job.
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dalilama
I assume you'll be installing it yourself so good luck! If you get cold feet I recommend International Auto Glass for the install. Bob and Joe did a great job.
Yes! I figured I'd give it a shot. I won't get cold feet. I'll just need to search for guidance on here. Hopefully, I'll be good.

Don't worry...if I f it up, I'll reply to this thread

I'll keep Bob and Joe in mind if I decide to go that route. Thanks
Old May 1st, 2018, 05:46 PM

I'll just add this in hopes that it helps someone on a search someday:

Auto City Classic has the convertible glass for $139 +$110 shipping. They also attend major shows, so it's possible to avoid the shipping. I've used them on my GTO and on two concours Corvettes. They have been golden.
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
I'll just add this in hopes that it helps someone on a search someday:

Auto City Classic has the convertible glass for $139 +$110 shipping. They also attend major shows, so it's possible to avoid the shipping. I've used them on my GTO and on two concours Corvettes. They have been golden.
X2 on Auto City Classic. I've also used them for windshields. Great to deal with.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Let us know how that replacement goes. I also have a 72 convertible with the original windshield. It's not cracked but has plenty of road chips and dings. I may replace it before long. Not sure if I want to tackle it myself or not.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:18 AM

I just picked up the glass. To be honest, it may take a little time to install because I am getting the car repainted soon and want the metal part of the dash painted. Its obviously easier to paint while the glass is off.

I am a little boggled though lol....When picking up the windshield, there was a little silicon and a black wire attached in the middle of the very bottom of the windshield. I guess I wasn't expecting that, but to be fair, the car didn't have a windshield when I bought it. I'd imagine it came how it's suppose to come so I should be fine.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Does that have something to do with the antenna?
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Wait a damn minute.....It may the antenna that's sticking out. It has to be. Didn't see any antenna anywhere else on the car.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by TomT
Does that have something to do with the antenna?
Has to be
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Let us know how that replacement goes. I also have a 72 convertible with the original windshield. It's not cracked but has plenty of road chips and dings. I may replace it before long. Not sure if I want to tackle it myself or not.
Hopefully I get to it soon enough to give feedback. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem bad at all. You just gotta make sure the glass is level and properly adhere to the silicon so that you have no leaks!

I always bet on myself with certain things and this is certainly one of them. Worst comes worst, heat it up, take it off, and have someone install it. I'll let you know how it goes when I install.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Wait a damn minute.....It may the antenna that's sticking out. It has to be. Didn't see any antenna anywhere else on the car.
That's the pigtail for the built-in antenna. All '72s had that.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

That IS the antenna lead. Look closely at the glass - you'll see the embedded antenna wires.
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:14 AM

With these windshields, there’s no weather strip that goes around it? From videos I’ve seen on GM A-body’s, there seems that you only add the dam and silicon/adhesive to the pinch weld. Is this correct?
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:15 AM

I will try to tackle the install this weekend. If so, I’ll give an update
Old August 16th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Update: I said :"F" it and called John at International Auto. They came out and installed. Thanks for the suggestions guys. On to the next task.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:17 AM

79 Cutlass Salon

Good day. I am searching windshield on Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon 1979 five doors and i dont know where it search. Thank you for advice
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by aspetras
Good day. I am searching windshield on Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon 1979 five doors and i dont know where it search. Thank you for advice
I would contact your local glass store. They will have the skills to install and search for you.

Pat
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I would contact your local glass store. They will have the skills to install and search for you.

Pat
Thank you for answer, but i am from czech republic and so it is worse with searching auto parts on the us cars
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by aspetras
Thank you for answer, but i am from czech republic and so it is worse with searching auto parts on the us cars
The answer is the same no matter where you are. Can you go to an auto glass shop in your city and ask them about getting a windshield for an American car? I can't believe it would the first time they ever had such a request.

My guess is that you will have to have it shipped across the ocean, and that will probably be expensive. My guess is also that a shop that specializes in replacing auto glass will be in a better position to order and receive the windshield than you would be doing it yourself. Have you at least asked locally to see what kind of response you get?