Aunt Dumpy's '67 Cutlass

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Aunt Dumpy's '67 Cutlass

My wife inherited her aunts 1967 Olds Cutlass with 55,000 miles. The engine (330) and tranny are all original and in great shape, but I'm looking to put a 455 in it. Will the new engine and a turbo 400 tranny fit?
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM

they will fit just fine. there will be a couple little things you will run into but nothing major. i am not a 67 expert but i know that they will fit. someone will give you more detail soon.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
71 cutlass convertible

If you have the room I would save the original moter and trans. If you every want to sell it it will have more value to some with the original moter. Welcome and have fun with the new car. I'm sure there are threads alrady explaining what you want to do. try the search function and ask questions when they come up.
Larry
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would think long and hard before I replaced the 330 in a car with only 55,000 miles on it. That 330 is a great motor and a lot can be done with it. A nice set of duals and a 4 barrel if it doesn't have one and you will be surprised. It is your car so do what you like but you may be disappointed. If it were a high mileage worn out car, I would say go for it. At least you are not wanting to put a chevy in it. We need to see pictures of this car.
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard.

Is there anything wrong with the origional engine?
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM

Love the site and thanks for the warm welcome.
Got the car 10 years ago but I have been overseas 3 years since owning it. The sand has clouded my judgment.
The engine is fine but came out to be detailed. The interior was infested with rodents and is out. The paint is peeling, some surface rust but no major dings.
Having fun working on it with my son and we both are learning alot.
It will stay in the family for many years to come.
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM

When you get your interior redone stuff "Bounce" sheets of fabric softener everywhere. It will keep those nasty pest away. Those no good %$^*^%&^% do more harm to more cars.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Welcome to the site, sounds like you have a nice project. Post some pictures so we can see what your working with
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I will post photos with fear and trepidation since I am learning how to restore this car as I go.
I have to blame my brother for allowing the rodents to take over the interior. They took up residence while on his watch. Maybe I should bounce something off of his head.
Thanks for the tip.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I have the 455 and turbo 400 trans setup and it is perfect but i would think twice before I changed a motor with mileage like that. Also have a holley 750 cfm double pumper on it and am looking at putting some Kooks headers and cam in it. I am kinda into muscle and that is what I like so it is a beautiful thing for me so if thats what you like I say go for it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM

My car took a beating on the trip from Colorado to Virginia. Must have been the slight increase in humidity or the rust wall I ran into.
I wanted to tear into the engine to undo the damage I suspected was present. Good thing I didn't....just got the 455 instead.
My intention is to keep that low mileage eng/xmsn assembly as original as possible.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I picked this one up last summer with about 46,000 miles on it. Another Grandma car! I'm using it as my commuter and the 330 4bbl engine has enough pep for that. I added the rally wheels for fun. I will need to fix a leak in the back windshield this summer and will need to repaint it soon as the paint is thin. But the interior is pretty clean and it's comfy to drive. I get nice comments from other car guys. Toooooooo many doors, but I can live with that.
John

P1010846.jpg
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM

John
I have the two door version. It appears your car is in pretty good shape as well. It has been awhile since I have had mine on the road so I am looking forward to lighting up the tires.
Love the Olds.

Mike
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

Mike,

Welcome to the site and good luck with your new addition. I am sure whatever you decide to do you will have fun with it.

John,

Nice find. I had picked up my aunt's 67 Impala 4dr no post car about 6 yrs ago and made it into a daily driver. Your car reminds me of that but yours is in much better condition. Her car was from New York and it was rusted pretty bad. The rear window was the least of the worries I had to deal with. If her car was as clean as yours, I probably would still be driving it today.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks. I'm encouraged that any problem I face with my car will have been addressed hundreds of times by this experienced group of Olds fanatics.
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I picked this one up last summer with about 46,000 miles on it. Another Grandma car! I'm using it as my commuter and the 330 4bbl engine has enough pep for that. I added the rally wheels for fun. I will need to fix a leak in the back windshield this summer and will need to repaint it soon as the paint is thin. But the interior is pretty clean and it's comfy to drive. I get nice comments from other car guys. Toooooooo many doors, but I can live with that.
John
That a really nice CS. 46K? Wow you got a great car with lots of life left. Looks like Grandma added some of those metal/vinyl side body rails on the door. I remember mine used to get all chipped up just above the side pleat from all dumb @(#$&. who didn't care about other peoples cars. You going the same color? BTW, I like the SS11 s you popped on. What kind of mpg does she get? Mine used to do right around 21 on the highway at 60 miles per hour. Around town it would drink gas at around 10-12 mpg.

Hey, justasecond buddy!!! You've got a great camera. where's the pics of the engine and interior. PPPPllllease PPPPooost SSSomee SSSoon????
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Allen
I don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread, so check out the thread of when I first got the car. Reply to that thread if you have any questions.
John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...d-me-home.html