Power steering issue, binding feel

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2018, 07:00 PM

Power steering issue, binding feel

need a little advice. My 72 steering feels like it binds if I turn the wheel quickly. If I go slowly it's fine. It happens in either direction at any point in the turning range. If I raise the front wheels off the ground the binding feel is gone and it all works fine. Put the weight back on the front wheels and it's back

I started by by raising the front end and watching all the steering components move through their full range of motion to make sure nothing is hitting anything. No problems there.

next I replaced the pump, I was certain that was the issue, but no change after installing it.

The only thing i didnt didn't do during that process was flush the gear box. I did follow the instructions to bleed the system.

i was about to replace the gearbox next, but I thought I'd post it here and see what ideas you may have.

because it happens anywhere in the full turning range - all I have to do is jerk the wheel quickly in either direction and it momentarily feels like it locks or binds - I feel like it shouldn't be the gearbox..... could it be that I didn't flush the old fluid out of the gearbox?
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:42 PM
72 Olds CS

my truck had similar symptoms.

A forum search showed binding u joints in the intermediate shaft as a common problem

I replaced the intermediate shaft and now its smooth as silk

try to disconnect your intermediate shaft from the box and see if the u joints move freely.

also what kind of car
Old March 3rd, 2018, 06:56 PM

Well, After replacing the pump I moved on and disconnected and inspected the intermediate shaft and it looked fine. So I removed the steering gear box and it felt terrible turning by hand. I flushed everything and reinstalled it but no better. So I decided to replace it with the Jeep GC box that is popular with the A bodies. Turned out great! Very happy with it and my problem is solved