72 Cutlass Convertible Trunk Leaking

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2017, 03:56 PM

72 Cutlass Convertible Trunk Leaking

I have a 72 cutlass convertible,and water keeps getting into the trunk everytime it rains....I installed new trunk weatherstripping and I think I installed it correctly....The two ends or the seams of the weather stripping meet at the bottom center of the trunk.Should I have made the seams meet at the top center of the trunk?Also I found a water tray like thingy going around the trunk where the convertible top goes into the trunk and one side of it keeps falling down but I pushed it up and it held,and water still got into the trunk...Where are some other areas that water can get into the trunk when it rains....Also rain is getting into it while parked and raining,not driving...?

Last edited by O-dawg; September 1st, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:59 PM

The seal may be in wrong. When looking at it , it should angle upward toward the outside. The high point should be on the outside. I had the same problem at the car wash. The ends usually meet to the side of the trunk latch area. Top gutter may need attached better too.

Last edited by Gary M; September 1st, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
The seal may be in wrong. When looking at it , it should angle upward toward the outside. The high point should be on the outside. I had the same problem at the car wash. The ends usually meet to the side of the trunk latch area. Top gutter may need attached better too.
Thank you Gary!I will check how I installed the weatherstripping tomorrow when daylight hits and report back!Also does anybody know what actually hold the top gutter tray up?Because one side of it is solid....it won't budge.....and the other side keeps falling down....is there a screw keeping it up or something....if so,how do I get to it?Thx!
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:32 AM

There are a bunch of screws that hold the rain gutter in, maybe 5-6 of them. They usually look like wheelwell screws with a washer head. You have to lift the well liner way up to see them, You probably need to remove the seat back, remove the boot rail, pull the liner loose where it goes over the seat. They are tough to get at. The problem is, the gutter often breaks where the screw holes are located.