1983 Hurst/Olds Speedometer Cable

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2017, 08:47 AM

1983 Hurst/Olds Speedometer Cable

I believe my speedometer cable snapped and I need to replace it. There seems to be a lot of different options/lengths out there so I wanted to check and see if anyone can tell me which one I need. Part numbers are appreciated if you have them! Thank you
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by T.Wagner
I believe my speedometer cable snapped and I need to replace it. There seems to be a lot of different options/lengths out there so I wanted to check and see if anyone can tell me which one I need. Part numbers are appreciated if you have them! Thank you
Why do you "believe" your cable snapped? They typically do not break. You MIGHT want to pull the cable and look at it before spending money to not fix the problem.
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Why do you "believe" your cable snapped? They typically do not break. You MIGHT want to pull the cable and look at it before spending money to not fix the problem.
Thanks for the info! Maybe it didn't break but it currently my speedometer isn't working.

How hard of a job is it to inspect/repair/replace the cable? I assume it connects to the rear of the speedo, but where does it go after that? I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube about it.
Old July 26th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by T.Wagner
How hard of a job is it to inspect/repair/replace the cable? I assume it connects to the rear of the speedo, but where does it go after that? I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube about it.
The cable comes from the speedometer thru the firewall directly to the transmission, unless you have cruise control... If you have cruise, the cable will go to a transducer first then to the transmission... The problem could be with the transmission drive gear or the transducer if you have cruise, or as you suspect possibly even the cable...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; July 26th, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
The cable comes from the speedometer thru the firewall directly to the transmission, unless you have cruise control... If you have cruise, the cable will go to a transducer first then to the transmission... The problem could be with the transmission drive gear or the transducer if you have cruise, or as you suspect possibly even the cable...
Thanks for the info. I do have cruise control which doesn't currently work... I wonder if that is the issue

Luckily this isn't too big of a deal and I can still drive her in the meantime
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Olds Fever

Disconnect the cable from the cruise transducer to the speedometer (at the transducer) and spin the cable end... If the speedometer needle moves as it should, then the problem is between the transducer and the transmission... Disconnect the cable from the transmission, after reconnecting the cable from the speedometer to the transducer, then spin the end of that cable... If the speedometer needle moves as it should, then the transmission speedometer gear is defective, if not the problem is most likely between the cable from the transmission to the transducer or the transducer itself...
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Disconnect the cable from the cruise transducer to the speedometer (at the transducer) and spin the cable end... If the speedometer needle moves as it should, then the problem is between the transducer and the transmission... Disconnect the cable from the transmission, after reconnecting the cable from the speedometer to the transducer, then spin the end of that cable... If the speedometer needle moves as it should, then the transmission speedometer gear is defective, if not the problem is most likely between the cable from the transmission to the transducer or the transducer itself...
Very good, thanks for the help. I will probably take some time on Saturday to look into it.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Oldsdruid

Went thru this with the Custom Cruiser a while back. Speedo stopped working. I spun the cruise regulator to speedometer cable w cordless drill and it worked. Took the regulator to trans cable loose and noticed the plastic tip of it was snapped off and natcherly had broke off up in the CC regulator.

That told me the regulator had probably seized too, so I got lower cable and a reman CC regulator from Advance. Strangely they didn't list regulator for 307 in the B car, but did for Cutlass. So you shouldn't have any problems finding one. Only difference I see is that Cutlass unit has a terminal for indicator light which the B car does not have.

Replaced both and the old beast's speedometer works smoother than it ever has. No more flutter and the cruise works flawlessly- or did after I replaced its dedicated 5 amp fuse, which I didn't know it had.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Ay ay ay what a headache for such a simple piece! Hopefully it's an easy find for me... fingers crossed.