How hard is it to remove radio in 72 Supreme?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2017, 12:22 PM

How hard is it to remove radio in 72 Supreme?

Radio does not function in my 72. Light comes on but no sound. It's possible it may have a defective speaker but based on other threads I don't think I want to tackle the replacement of the dash speaker. If the the radio is fairly easy to remove I'm thinking of replacing it with a reproduction that has bluetooth. I could then use a wireless bluetooth speaker.
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is really not very hard. If you have AC, take the duct off under the dash. You will then be able to see the radio and have good access. Good luck
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:13 PM

There is a plastic strap that holds the rear of the radio from shaking, held on with a 3/8 nut. Remove the power plug. Use a 5/8 deep socket to remove the nuts behind the ***** AFTER you take the ***** off. Do not stand under the radio as it falls to the floor. Will make nice dent in your forehead.
Old June 26th, 2017, 05:20 PM

With the radio out the speaker is just above another vent ( the center dash vent) removable by removing two screws that you can see it you look into the vent. You can't use a new speaker from just anywhere though with the old radio.
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone.
So the speaker is removed from underneath I guess. If I could just get to the speaker wiring I could at least see if thats the problem. Most likely will need a new radio.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:13 PM

The only way to know which is the problem is to test. The speaker is just above the radio mounted to the dash by two fasteners. As I said earlier the original radio uses a different ohm speaker than the new ones use. Don't think they are compatible. If you buy a new radio you need new speakers. Unhook the battery Before you work on the radio. Mine had two different hot wires. Keep track of those two so you don't end up with issues.
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM

I'm going to bet it's the speaker. Check out Turnswitch.com for a decent replacement if you don't need or want factory original. They have decent 8 to 10 OHM speakers made for the job. When I had my 72's I found it handy to remove the clock/clock delete to get at that front speaker more easily. When putting a replacement in, I found you could use 3 hands, so a helper to reach through the clock opening and hold the new speaker in place you get the new one bolted in is a huge help.
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:39 AM

I don't have a clock. Also discovered a rear speaker that also doesn't work which makes me think it's the radio.
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:49 AM

I bought a radio on eBay from the parts place. It's made by antique auto in Florida. Looks just like the factory one but mine doesn't have the Bluetooth. Had to send it to the manufacturer defective but they fixed it and is on the way back. Down side was it cost 600.00 but there aren't any that I could find as close to the original look as it is. Keep in mind your radio can be rebuilt if it looks good.
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:29 AM

In my 72 supreme and my 72 S, they both had the front/rear speaker set up. Both the front and back speaker were blown & all had to be replaced, both cars. Fortunately my radio in each car was ok. If you have no clock you've got the clock delete plate which would be removed in the same manner as if a clock were there, but not everyone tackles the task in this manner.
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:31 AM

For your car it's hit or miss on whether it is going to be the radio/speakers/both.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Hadn't considered rebuilding it but that would for sure save me some bucks. just have to find someone that can do that.
Another question: Does the factory radio have a wire harness and plug or is it hard-wired? Don't guess anybody out there has a wiring diagram.

Last edited by TomT; June 28th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:06 AM

http://wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/
back in 2014 I checked with this place and it was a couple hundred but I did not keep the car so I don't know how they are.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:11 AM

Has a plug

Plugs in at back of radio.
Old June 29th, 2017, 04:49 AM

Plugs
Old June 29th, 2017, 06:48 PM

The radio i bought from Parts Place, had a professional shop test (they said no sound), sent to manufacturer for repair and they sent it back saying no issues found- tested good. I tested it and a professional audio shop tested it. You may want to skip buying the eBay- Antique Automobile Radio Inc. -radio. Trying to return mine as my thirty days will be up before I can mess with it again. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Gary M; June 29th, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old June 30th, 2017, 09:24 AM
RRB

If you want to test the speaker, remove the plug at the back of the radio and connect two jumper wires into the speaker connections on the plug. Connect the bare ends of the two speaker jumper wires to a C or D battery (one wire to each end of the battery) If you hear static then the speaker is capable of playing and the problem is the radio or the wire connections at the speaker which if it is original is unlikely. These cars are nearing 50 years old. I have taken many apart and seen a replacement speaker so a bad connection at the speaker is not out of the question.
Old June 30th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

The stock GM radios of this vintage have a power transistor in the amplifier output stage that frequently goes bad. This transistor is usually bolted to the heat sink on the outside of the case. I've successfully replaced these, restoring radio function.

Old June 30th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RRB
If you want to test the speaker, remove the plug at the back of the radio and connect two jumper wires into the speaker connections on the plug. Connect the bare ends of the two speaker jumper wires to a C or D battery (one wire to each end of the battery) If you hear static then the speaker is capable of playing and the problem is the radio or the wire connections at the speaker which if it is original is unlikely. These cars are nearing 50 years old. I have taken many apart and seen a replacement speaker so a bad connection at the speaker is not out of the question.
Thanks. I will try that. It is possible the old wires could have deteriorated.
Old June 30th, 2017, 05:22 PM

I have found that the battery test doesn't produce static, just a single click when the battery is connected.
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:04 PM

I'll try to find a cheap speaker to test. I use to have several laying around but of course I got rid of them all not to long ago.
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:22 PM

Keep in mind the speaker has to be for that year radio.

Backtracking on my earlier post, the eBay radio ( although documents that all was well, was repaired and sent back to me. ) it now works - good luck with your posts.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:04 PM

Joe, I have the same radio pictured in your post. I want to hook it up in my '69 Chevy pick up. It's a perfect fit. I don't have the wiring plug for the back, but three connectors are labeled: ground, speaker, 12v. Then there is a blue wire on the side--is this for a rear speaker? Also, where does the antenna connect? With only one speaker connection, how do you wire it? Speakers have two wires, + and - .
Thanks, Jack
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:16 PM

Holy crap! Took me many hours and 1/2 disassembling the car to remove my stereo, 8-track and dash speaker! I have no idea how I'll get the center A/C vent reinstalled!

I took out the seats and center console because I couldn't work otherwise. I think it would've been easier and quicker to rebuild the engine.

Now, to order the stereo, dash and kick plate speakers... Oh joy getting it all back together...:-(

Last edited by Eastflorida; July 4th, 2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fletchmo72
Joe, I have the same radio pictured in your post. I want to hook it up in my '69 Chevy pick up. It's a perfect fit. I don't have the wiring plug for the back, but three connectors are labeled: ground, speaker, 12v. Then there is a blue wire on the side--is this for a rear speaker? Also, where does the antenna connect? With only one speaker connection, how do you wire it? Speakers have two wires, + and - .
Thanks, Jack
The factory speakers ground through the body. The single speaker wire on the radio goes to the front speaker. The blue wire should be for the rear speaker. The antenna plugs into the round hole in the upper RH of the photo.