Hei Conversion Kit vs Full Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Hei Conversion Kit vs Full Upgrade

Need help deciding which way to go and which ones to buy. Slightly budget orientated...non racing 350. Just want better performance and mileage.
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:49 PM

I'd like to know as well. Subscribed.
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Are you wanting to change to an HEI distributor or use you old distributor with a points conversion kit?
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Or are you wanting to modify the curve of your existing HEI or buy a new one from a performance company?

Communication improves when it is specific and explicit.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:13 AM

If you're considering the differences between an HEI distributor and an electronic ignition kit for your points distributor I suggest this:

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

It should be cheaper than an aftermarket HEI distributor and will give you the reliability and easy starts that you get with an HEI distributor without having to worry about re curving an aftermarket HEI distributor. The only way to do it cheaper would be to get a stock HEI distributor from a salvage yard. Then you would have to worry about possibly re curving it though.
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Not to high jack but I would like to know which is the best way to go with budget, reliability and ignition performance in mind. Street use only.
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Administrator

A distributor or ignition change in itself is not going to noticeably increase performance, reliability, or fuel economy. A properly tuned points distributor is just as good as any of the other systems. What it will do is take away the 20 mins it takes to change and adjust points periodically. The most reliable and maintenance friendly system is points.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:17 AM
delete

I'd say with the quality of tune up parts these days it's a crap shoot how long they last. I think a conversion will be more reliable for that reason. That being said, I have heard of the modules in the conversion kits going out too. I got this set up (installation is pending). For the $$ you can't beat it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-750-172...FXNPXW&vxp=mtr
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM

I have used Pertronix for over 20 years in numerous old cars with zero failures. As previously mentioned, if you think you are going to improve performance or increase horse power, you won't. You will get the same performance as brand new, properly adjusted points/condenser, every day for long periods of time. A "hotter spark" also gains nothing on a stock engine or even mild performance engines. I have always used the basic Pertronix, not the II or II or whatever it is called now. A rev limiter is of zero value to a street stock engine, IMHO.

I really like the Pertronix (or similar) because my cars always run like they have a fresh tune-up. Just change the plugs when needed. And I have NEVER had a module failure, even when taking the ride on vacations and driving 3000 miles in a week.
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you're considering the differences between an HEI distributor and an electronic ignition kit for your points distributor I suggest this:

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

It should be cheaper than an aftermarket HEI distributor and will give you the reliability and easy starts that you get with an HEI distributor without having to worry about re curving an aftermarket HEI distributor. The only way to do it cheaper would be to get a stock HEI distributor from a salvage yard. Then you would have to worry about possibly re curving it though.
for the Oldsmobile set-up, would I need the Lobe Sensor model, or will the magnetic sleeve fit with the standard igniter 1 kits?
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

All of the Pertronix systems will work - the distributor dimensions are the same through the GM line.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
All of the Pertronix systems will work - the distributor dimensions are the same through the GM line.
x2

Let us know how the conversion goes, Cap'n.
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:17 AM

I have always used Pertronix Ignitor I. The older ones had a magnet ring, and adjusting the gap was critical, and it was recommended for most car brands to remove the distributor and add washer shims to reduce the shaft / gear movement. Not hard, but a pain. The newest model Ignitor I I put in a 455 Pontiac a year ago no longer uses a mag ring and there are virtually no adjustments to make, and no distributor removal. It was easy enough for a 5 year old to install.

Most stories about failure, or lousy performance came from the older models, and the installer did NOT remove and adjust the clearance as I mentioned. What would happen, is either the magnets would rub and get knocked off, or if the gap was too wide, as the car accelerated, the distributor shaft would rise up and make the gap too large and the engine would cut out. Those were installer problems, not product problems.
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Pros and cons across the board.

Points: cheap, simple, easy to find anywhere. Needs adjustment, needs periodic replacement, bounce at high RPMs. Some high quality units are still out there (Blue Streak still available?)

Ignitor or similar conversion: keep small cap, I really liked the Ignitor 1 LS, had lots of trouble with intermittent spark on an Ignitor III, no adjustments necessary, if it's good it'll last a very long time, if it goes south then you're SOL until you can find a replacement part, can handle a coil with a hotter spark. The lobe sensing units are readily available, easier to install and plenty reliable.

HEI: can be cheap, parts everywhere, import stuff has hit-or-miss quality, large cap may interfere with your air cleaner (may not!), different plug wire end (but I like them more, converted my small cap to HEI ends).

Regardless both have plenty of curve kits available. Both a conversion and HEI require some basic re-wiring.
No matter what, make sure the dizzy core is good - the plate needs to be firmly retained, I've had old units that wobbled - the shaft needs to be stable and the mechanical advance needs to move smoothly. I've found that the super cheap units at the parts store are actually really good cores. Just replace the points, re-curve and add an adjustable vacuum can.
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Good info.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:14 AM

When doing a conversion, I have usually bought a rebuilt distributor from NAPA. That eliminates the possibility of shaft wobble and provides a firm foundation. I used to carry the points set-up and / or a second module, because I too heard the stories about failure on the road and no readily available parts. But as I said, in over 20 years of usage, and one car I have owned that entire time, I never had a failure. Before that, I had several points either wear out (inferior quality parts) or fail...one contact fall off, condenser failure. Nothing is 100%, but I like the Pertronix.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have been using Pertronix for a long time and have never had a failure. Put it in an forget about it. In my opinion it is one of the best and most cost effective improvements you can make on a car. I just used the Pertronix I and I used their coil.