Cutlass Supreme trans swap?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Cutlass Supreme trans swap?

Hi I have a 72 cutlass supreme, notchback and a 350. I'm thinking about a transmission swap. Will a 5th gen camaro trans fit? If not what would be the best fit?
Old February 15th, 2017, 09:57 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

With a mod of this nature, we could use a bit more info. What are you trying to achieve with the mod? Stick or automatic? Current rear gear ratio? Trying to maintain stock appearance not? Column or console shift???
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Well the goal is basically more gears than just a 3 speed, hopefully some gas mileage improvement (probably not). Automatic, unknown rear gear ration actually, need to find out. And probably console shift, since it'll be easier (i guess)
Old February 15th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dddddyang
Hi I have a 72 cutlass supreme, notchback and a 350. I'm thinking about a transmission swap. Will a 5th gen camaro trans fit? If not what would be the best fit?
Is that a T56?

In any case, you need to understand several issues. First, Olds motors that came from the factory with an automatic did not get the crank bored for a pilot bearing. You either need to pull the crank and get yours machined, or use one of the aftermarket conversion bearings that require you to trim the input shaft of the trans.

Second, Olds motors have a BOP bellhouisng bolt pattern. The newer factory five and six speed transmissions have integral bellhousings with a non-compatible Chevy bolt pattern. You will need to get an expensive aftermarket conversion bellhousing. You should not use the flat adapter plates for automatics on a manual trans.

Bottom line is that except for the engine interface part, your car is the same as a Chevelle. There are a bazillion articles on the web and in print that tell you how to install a late model manual trans in an A-body. Google is your friend.
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:27 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Another automatic alternative is to bolt on a Gear Vendors OD unit to your existing TH350. Shorten the drive shaft and go. Keep the original trans, no interior mods needed other than locating a splitter switch somewhere. You will essentially have a 6 speed as the three forward gears are split. Google it. This would be choice one for me. It may be the cheaper alternative. Another option, which could be in your favor is to install a properly fortified TH2004R. Same bolt pattern, just need to alter the driveshaft and cross-member location. The shift indicator will need updating to indicate the OD if desired. I say "could" be in your favor because I dont like the rather small internals of a 200. The 350 is much beefier. But if you're simply looking for a 4th gear for highway cruising and zero burnouts then look into a 200.
Do some homework these subjects have been well beaten. We need a trans sticky.
Of course, if your a talented wrench and machinist or have deep pockets any modern combo is achievable.
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Hmmm, you say it has a "350" but you don't say an Oldsmobile 350. Just trying to clarify.