73-77 Olds guys, how many here? - Page 6 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 26th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #201

My Name ist Robert from Germany, my Car is a 1973 Cutlass Supreme Salon. Original 80000km, Europe Version. The Car was once again registered in Switzerland in 1973. This Car ist my third Oldsmobile. The first was a Delta 88 from 1977, the second a 98 Regency from 1979. Old Oldsmobile do not die! Not in Germany either. ;-)

Greetings from Germany, Robert
Ostalbbulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:18 AM   #202

Hi and welcome! Im from Finland, not too far away.

Any pics of your car? What colour/ engine/trans-combo?
Inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:25 AM   #203

While here, whats the latest word about headers on 73-77 Cutlasses?
Shorties, long-tubes. I realise, long-tubes give more oomph, but is it worth the grief?
What ive read, noone fit directly in Place. Of course, as proved, denting them dont supposedly diminish the power By any amount, but how about other aspects?
Leaking? Rusting? Hot for feets? Long-term durability?

Just pondering my opinions. All thoughts are welcome around the subject.
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #204

When I built the 455 (468 built to W30 specs with Edlebrock alum heads), I bought some nice, coated headers for about $500. I tried and tried and fought and fought but just could NOT get them to fit. In absolute frustration, I finally gave up and went with some repo W30 cast iron manifolds and a FULL 2 1/2in exhaust system. VERY disappointing!!!

By the way, in 1975, across the board, GM cars got catalytic converters. Thus no more TRUE dual exhaust systems because the pipe from the engine went into ONE converter, and then cars that got "fake" dual exhaust, there were two pipes Y-ed from the rear of the converter. The cross member for 75-77 transmissions had a big dogleg on the right side for the converter and NO hump for an exhaust pipe on the driver side. Well, that's too easy to change. ALLLLLLLLLLLL 73-74 Cutlasses, REGARDLESS of single or dual exhaust, have a cross member with TWO humps to permit two exhaust pipes to pass through. I got a 74 cross member from a salvage yard which permitted (LITERALLY) installing a bolt-on style 73-74 dual exhaust.
Sorry, I only have one picture of the 73-74 cross member in the 76 Cutlass. Since I ordered the car new with a 5sp, everything with the Richmond 5sp fit right in place with only minor "adjustment" of the hole in the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1021.jpg (91.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1068.jpg (79.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1069.jpg (77.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0355.jpg (88.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by DZAUTO; January 26th, 2018 at 08:20 AM.
DZAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:59 AM   #205

Thanks about your experience. Sounds what ive been fearing.. 73-77 Olds forum is also full of non-fitting headers needing denting and what not. 76olds has shorties, and they were great fit on his words. Sanderson if i recall correctly.

I also had the 76 model crossmember. I still had true duals and no cat. Some inventor just went under the crossmember on the side where there is no cut for it.. Quess how was ground-clearance..? Last year i managed to buy correct dual-hump crossmember from ebay, refurbished it, and its now waiting installment. Only old pipes left on my car are rear mufflers before axle + everything behind it. All else will be new.

Nice colour btw on your car!
Old January 26th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
Thanks about your experience. Sounds what ive been fearing.. 73-77 Olds forum is also full of non-fitting headers needing denting and what not. 76olds has shorties, and they were great fit on his words. Sanderson if i recall correctly.

I also had the 76 model crossmember. I still had true duals and no cat. Some inventor just went under the crossmember on the side where there is no cut for it.. Quess how was ground-clearance..? Last year i managed to buy correct dual-hump crossmember from ebay, refurbished it, and its now waiting installment. Only old pipes left on my car are rear mufflers before axle + everything behind it. All else will be new.

Nice colour btw on your car!
I've got a '73 with a 455. New engine ready to go in. I've got Hooker 1-7/8" primary Super Comp headers. The driver's side slipped in and has clearance everywhere. The passenger side is the issue. The #4 cylinder (2nd from the front) hits the rear lower control arm mount - a lot. Not even close to fitting. I ended up cutting a lot of the lower rear mount to gain room, and then boxing in the mount and adding a gusset to the rear of the mount. In addition that same tube hits the frame near the mount and I beat the tube up pretty good to get clearance. An alternative would have been to cut that tube out and re-route it.

These same headers have a dent on the drivers side specifically to fit around the steering column - however the headers are not near the steering column and no need for the dent on our cars.

I've read 1-3/4" primary tube headers on a 455 have lot fewer fitment issues on our cars - as they are routed completely different than the 1-7/8" tube headers.

Always expect to do some pounding on the headers.
mrw8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #207

Fortunately, I was finally able to sell my headers for enough to pay for the cast iron repo W30 manifolds. NOT what I wanted, but oh well, they fit WITHOUT any issues and all is well now.
I REALLY would like to locate some FACTORY alum Olds valve covers and a REAL W30 intake manifold. There is NOTHING WRONG with the Edlebrock intake, I'd just like to have a real W30 intake.
DZAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:31 PM   #208

measurements or stencils if avail.

Hello, I'm looking at making my 75 a little sportier this spring..
Now I know that vendors make the vinyl decals, but my paint is starting to lacquer checking(small cracks) and rather try the plastic dip them on as I fear the cracks will promote the decals to lift, I'm assuming because of the checking/cracking that it is lacquer , and getting that to paint them on, might be a tall order, but if I like the look it will be done after I do a trial with the plastic dip peelible stuff..

it be ideal if they made stencils for this, but I doubt it, so photo's of the strips and wheel area with a tape measure for placement and size, would be great, Below are the striping in question.. both type hood and the wheel fenders Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975olds.jpg (170.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1973ho.jpg (134.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; February 4th, 2018 at 11:33 PM.
midnightleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:03 AM   #209

Can somebody help me.

New fuel tank for 76 Cutlass S. Is Spectra GM1216A correct part? Atleast catalog suggests that. What im wondering, is the shape correct? Does it have that kind of bulge where pick-up is? I could have looked myself also, but was too pissed to do anything after impaling my old tank, i just went home..
Freight and taxes cost over twice what the tank itself, so i wouldnt mind to order wrong one.. Want to be 100% sure.

Does this look correct?

Theres also link to specifications:

https://www.carid.com/1976-chevy-mon...635167984.html

Thank you.

Last edited by Inline; February 9th, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:02 PM   #210

I am not 100% certain a 76 is the same as a 77, but my 77 tank is basically flat.

Mike
Mike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #211
Hookers under Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
Can somebody help me.

New fuel tank for 76 Cutlass S. Is Spectra GM1216A correct part? Atleast catalog suggests that. What im wondering, is the shape correct? Does it have that kind of bulge where pick-up is? I could have looked myself also, but was too pissed to do anything after impaling my old tank, i just went home..
Freight and taxes cost over twice what the tank itself, so i wouldnt mind to order wrong one.. Want to be 100% sure.

Does this look correct?

Theres also link to specifications:

https://www.carid.com/1976-chevy-mon...635167984.html

Thank you.

That just may be random illustration, but I would call them. Our tanks are almost flat on top, no hump. As for headers, I used the headman creamic coated shorties with Remflex graphite gaskets. Very happy with them. Had them on for 5 years now and still look like new, not a leak yet.
Hope this helps!
Eric
76olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:14 PM   #212

Ya, I'd bet that is just a photo of a tank that was close..
midnightleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 04:01 AM   #213

Behold, stock 76 fuel tank:

I got suspicious after looking my service manual which also showed that hump. So, first thing on the Morning after few cups of coffee, i went to garage to drop my tank, after cooling down overnight, and there it is. I assure this is stock tank, it still had build sheet taped to it.
Lol, its my 4th build sheet (!) from this car. They werent sparing on them at 76 anymore, thats sure! Atleast not in Arlington, TX plant.

Tank started to have rust-spots on bottom, and the filter-sock on pickup had started to deteriorate. So, wasnt such an disaster to impale my old tank.

Last edited by Inline; February 10th, 2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
That just may be random illustration, but I would call them. Our tanks are almost flat on top, no hump. As for headers, I used the headman creamic coated shorties with Remflex graphite gaskets. Very happy with them. Had them on for 5 years now and still look like new, not a leak yet.
Hope this helps!
Eric
That looks like the tank in my '73. The hump is there. That is the same hump in the middle of the trunk which the spare tire is mounted over.
mrw8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:34 AM   #215

My Olds Cutlass Saloon: 350 Rocket, 4BBL, Automatic, Cragar Weehls, Anti Spin Axle and much more. The Vinyl Roof was removed because of Rust. First approval in Switzerland:

Robert
Ostalbbulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 09:34 AM   #216

Hello, my 1976 Brougham. 30,000 miles, 455, 3.08 gear, loaded.

DrOldsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #217

Thought to confirm after receiving package today.

Spectra #GM1216A is exact reproduct fuel tank for atleast 1976 Cutlass S. Made in Canada it says.

Ostalbbulli and DrOldsMN, nice cars, both of you!