73-77 Olds guys, how many here?

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rlorman
Did any of you guys who added true dual exhaust change your tranny cross member to a dual hump or did you just go under the single hump one? That is if you weren't lucky enough to already have a dual hump!! Just wondering how low it will hang if I run mine under the single hump cross member unless I can get lucky enough to find a duel.
I replaced the trany cross over for a older one that had the dual cut outs for the dual exhaust. It will be a bump scraper if you go down and under
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:28 AM

I found two double crossmembers on ebay years ago. One stamped, the other one tubular. I think I will use the tube one this spring when I go dual. You can find them for sale used for about $100 or new, I forget the company that makes them. Anyone? Or as Duras says, u will have clearance issues.
Tom
Old December 24th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Hookers under Hood

Sometimes its just easier to have the custom muffler shop torch your factory crossmember out and weld a small plate in place. It leaves enough room to go up to 2 1/2 pipe.
SV100185
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Hookers under Hood

Anyone have any plans for their cars in 2017? Engine builds, interior, body work, new parts lists?
My 76 has been on a diet for a while, I'm planning on some sway bars this spring.
Please let us know
Cheers
Eric
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:25 AM

Sway bars also. True dual exhaust via Thornton manifolds my wife bought me a couple years ago, tires, are old but it's a bitch finding decent road tires in 15" rims anymore and I'm tired of white letters. I'm also changing it back to a Qjet as I bought it with a Holley. Some exterior trim is peeling off. That's about all my budget can handle. Just want to make it a stronger and more competent town cruiser.
Tom
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Platinum Al
I was going to look at this car. Would love to see more pics. Congrats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.16 MB, 103 views)
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Platinum Al
I was going to look at this car. Would love to see more pics. Congrats.
Car is in great shape, couldn't pass it up. Gave it a quick wash and put these wheels on it , big difference in looks.
Attached Images
image.jpg (883.1 KB, 99 views)
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:13 PM

Looks great! Congrats about your purchase.
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:41 AM
Hookers under Hood

I agree with inline, very nice, those look like 442 rims. They really set the car off nicely. Looks like you got an awesome deal. Great to see you posting again since you joined in 2014. Looking forward to more pics, interior , engine , etc.
Eric
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:23 AM

Score one for Larry. That was the best deal on a 76 Cutlass I saw all year, and it appears to be in excellent condition. The wheel swap is just icing on the cake.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I agree with inline, very nice, those look like 442 rims. They really set the car off nicely. Looks like you got an awesome deal. Great to see you posting again since you joined in 2014. Looking forward to more pics, interior , engine , etc.
Eric
Eric- I usually just watch the 73-77 olds site, I like how small the site is over there, great people but do wish people could join and post there. I had to beg and plead for 6 months to get approved. Just started looking at this thread- thanks for being excited about our style of cars. Larry
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:52 PM
Hookers under Hood

Put-r-ther Larry, I was hoping someone would resurrect the 73-77 site as well. The guys over ther are great. I think they are hanging in just because its been so good in the past.
I hope most come over here, so much more going on here, great bunch of guys with so much to offer with regards to Oldsmobiles of all makes including ours.
Nice to have you here posting with us Larry. I know I appreciate it.
Cheers
Eric
Old January 3rd, 2017, 04:58 AM

Put-r-ther Larry, I was hoping someone would resurrect the 73-77 site as well. The guys over ther are great. I think they are hanging in just because its been so good in the past.
I hope most come over here, so much more going on here, great bunch of guys with so much to offer with regards to Oldsmobiles of all makes including ours.
Nice to have you here posting with us Larry. I know I appreciate it.
Cheers
Eric

That's pretty much exactly what's going on! LOL

Nice score Larry!!
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:41 AM

I bought a 74 Cutlass in November 350 Rockey ,4 barrel a/c 32 original miles one owner
Love this ride automatic I'm getting older this is the first automatic I've owned on my toy cars love the 4speed but now automatic Nice Ride

Was black interior

Old January 19th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by first77
Car is in great shape, couldn't pass it up. Gave it a quick wash and put these wheels on it , big difference in looks.
Where did you get those wheels from. They kind of look like the SSI's? Are they 15's? Would like to get a set like that in 17's for my 68!
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:55 AM

2017 plans

Originally Posted by Pfiffle
Sway bars also. True dual exhaust via Thornton manifolds my wife bought me a couple years ago, tires, are old but it's a bitch finding decent road tires in 15" rims anymore and I'm tired of white letters. I'm also changing it back to a Qjet as I bought it with a Holley. Some exterior trim is peeling off. That's about all my budget can handle. Just want to make it a stronger and more competent town cruiser.
Tom

I put Cooper Cobra's on my 15" rims, a bit wider than originally on there but works and doesn't hit the front fenders when turning. I am happy with my reman Quadrajet on my BB. Considered going Edlebrock, but have my E650 from the olds 350, was never happy with how it worked...

I just plan on driving mine a ton more that the additional repairs are paid for from last spring... So car cruises, afternoon drives... oh yeah
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:03 AM

Eric- I usually just watch the 73-77 olds site, I like how small the site is over there, great people but do wish people could join and post there. I had to beg and plead for 6 months to get approved. Just started looking at this thread- thanks for being excited about our style of cars. Larry
Larry,
Yeah it was a nice site when someone was actively managing it. I have a profile there, but haven't been on in a year. Can't post, can't respond, and from the number of active feeds many are having the same issue.

Found out later that the administer left, probably why you weren't able to join for 6 months and for myself I couldn't get posting/reply abilities back.

There is a gentlemen on this site that has been trying to keep the site going, kudos. But he didn't have any luck on issues I had..
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 442fanatic
I put Cooper Cobra's on my 15" rims, a bit wider than originally on there but works and doesn't hit the front fenders when turning. I am happy with my reman Quadrajet on my BB. Considered going Edlebrock, but have my E650 from the olds 350, was never happy with how it worked...

I just plan on driving mine a ton more that the additional repairs are paid for from last spring... So car cruises, afternoon drives... oh yeah

Sounds like your finally going to have an enjoyable summer with you cutlass, I would like to get to a few cruises myself in 2017. I just couldn't find the time the past several years with work.
I hope you post some pics with your car and any other olds you see at the cruise.
Many swear by the Quadrajet here, I'm not packing any power whatsoever with my 350, however the edelbrock 600 seems to be ok in my case.
Are you planning on the putting Cooper Cobra RWL tires on your car?
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by sammieolds
I bought a 74 Cutlass in November 350 Rockey ,4 barrel a/c 32 original miles one owner
Love this ride automatic I'm getting older this is the first automatic I've owned on my toy cars love the 4speed but now automatic Nice Ride

Was black interior

Thanks for posting the pics Sammy, the car looks great, very nice interior. You'll be able to do some nice cruising. I like the automatic as well, to heavy of a car to gear down in a heluva hurry lol. A shift kit puts a nice little punch into our cars, not to much of a punch, just anuf IMO.
Love your car!!
Cheers
Eric
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:58 PM

s
Originally Posted by DurasII
Where did you get those wheels from. They kind of look like the SSI's? Are they 15's? Would like to get a set like that in 17's for my 68!

These are 15x7 stock 83-87 hurst/442/ delta wheels
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Fyi

s

These are 15x7 stock 83-87 hurst/442/ delta wheels
The delta 88 wheel is not the same as the G body wheel
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Same bolt pattern thou correct? They are very close to the SSI wheels so they would look nice. Bet ya can't get them any bigger than 15's right?
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Dave, what is the difference in the Delta 88/ 442 wheels other than the gold/ black colored portion?
Also what's the story with the wheels you have on the 73 442 with the Mickey T's? Looks like a chromed wheel that you painted (argent?) and added the stainless trim. It looks better than a wheel with a trim ring IMHO. I have a set that I just got cheap (Delta 88) that I'm considering repainting using your design.

Last edited by texxas; January 20th, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:17 AM

74 Cutlass

I restored a 74 Cutlass Supreme. It has a 455 with the stock dual's from the factory. Just added a mild cam to the rebuild.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM

rims

Originally Posted by texxas
Dave, what is the difference in the Delta 88/ 442 wheels other than the gold/ black colored portion?
Also what's the story with the wheels you have on the 73 442 with the Mickey T's? Looks like a chromed wheel that you painted (argent?) and added the stainless trim. It looks better than a wheel with a trim ring IMHO. I have a set that I just got cheap (Delta 88) that I'm considering repainting using your design.

The Delta wheels uses a trim ring while the G body wheel uses a chrome wheel lip. Also I think they have a different back spacing.

The rims on my 1973 442 are 15 x 7" front with 4" BS & 15 x 8" on the rear with 4.5" BS. They are from Specialty Wheel but no longer made. All chrome rim with no trim ring. They were Specialty Wheel's version of a reproduction 1969 HO rim with bolt on center cap. Sure glad I got a set before they stopped making them.

Those rims are going back on my 1972 W-30. I got a set of Torque Thust Ds for the 73 442. They will debut in April once the car rolls out of the paint booth.

IMG_20160522_150748_zpsqsmvkyba.jpg

IMG_20160522_150709_zpsiq3sxymc.jpg

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 23rd, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:48 PM

Dave, love the look of your 73! Mid 80's delta you could get chrome rallies. Black painted insert no trim ring and no pin stripe on the perimiter of the rim.
Attached Images
IMG_2113.JPG (145.7 KB, 53 views)
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:28 PM

Dave, love the look of your 73! Mid 80's delta you could get chrome rallies. Black painted insert no trim ring and no pin stripe on the perimiter of the rim.
Thanks for the education. The ones I am familiar with are as I described and I had not seen the all chrome version. Is that a 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern or 5 x 5"?
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:17 PM

5x4.75
Old January 24th, 2017, 02:05 PM

Sounds like your finally going to have an enjoyable summer with you cutlass, I would like to get to a few cruises myself in 2017. I just couldn't find the time the past several years with work.
I hope you post some pics with your car and any other olds you see at the cruise.
Many swear by the Quadrajet here, I'm not packing any power whatsoever with my 350, however the edelbrock 600 seems to be ok in my case.
Are you planning on the putting Cooper Cobra RWL tires on your car?

I put cooper cobra RWL on it after the body work and paint was finished. Had the original ralley rims blasted and powder coated a close enough red to the car. Put new outer chrome rims on it. Haven't done the spokes, cleaned up the originals, just not mirror shiney... New are available for $9 a piece, 5 per wheel. Center caps are in decent shape, new are available, but so far no intention in replacing them.
The cooper cobra s are a harder compound tire it seems, but with a 455 and 3:42 gears, what is really going to grab..
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:54 PM

Cooper "crap" Cobras are slippery even with smog-350.....

Actually, does someone have experience from Coopers vs. BFG's?
Those Coopers grip so bad, especially at wet asphalt, that i dont actually like to drive them, and been wondering to swap my tires for something else and sell those for good.
Id like to get RWL tires, but options are veeeery limited.

Yesterday got back to my car again, boy was it easy ( for a novice) to set up new gears instead of used ones. You get a nice clear pattern out of them. If someone else is thinking swapping the gears, i warmly suggest getting new ones even they cost you more. Eases the job By a mile. Too bad i just dont have new pinion nut yet. Estimated arrival time, 5th-10th feb.... Seller forgot to send them. Oh well..

Last edited by Inline; January 25th, 2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Dave, thanks for the pictures of your wheels. I think I'm going to paint a set of the full chrome Delta wheels that I have just like that. Looks awesome.
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
Cooper "crap" Cobras as slippery even with smog-350.....

Actually, does someone have experience from Coopers vs. BFG's?
Those Coopers grip so bad, especially at wet asphalt, that i dont actually like to drive them, and been wondering to swap my tires for something else and sell those for good.
Id like to get RWL tires, but options are veeeery limited.

Yesterday got back to my car again, boy was it easy ( for a novice) to set up new gears instead of used ones. You get a nice clear pattern out of them. If someone else is thinking swapping the gears, i warmly suggest getting new ones even they cost you more. Eases the job By a mile. Too bad i just dont have new pinion nut yet. Estimated arrival time, 5th-10th feb.... Seller forgot to send them. Oh well..
Skip both and buy Mickey Thompson tires. Sportsman S/T. Love mine.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-st/
Old January 25th, 2017, 10:38 AM

Cool thread for 73-77 Olds! I'm a little late posting, but life's events the last couple of months have been stressful and I haven't been on ClassicOlds much.

Anyway, I've got a 73 442 that I've owned since 1998 and fully restored. I also have a 74 Cutlass Supreme I've owned since 1991 It's still in good condition but it's on my list to restore. My latest acquisition from 2011 is a 74 Hurst/Olds W30 that is currently in restoration/storage status. My brother and I also own a 75 Cutlass Supreme 4 dr. 1/4 mile drag race car that we've raced since 2005.

Pics of my 442, Supreme and H/O are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
73442_1.BMP (747.0 KB, 44 views)
24930140001_large(1).jpg (59.1 KB, 39 views)
'74 Hurst W30_4.jpg (232.5 KB, 49 views)
Old January 25th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Here are three pictures of my brother's and my 75 Cutlass drag race car, appropriately named DONUTRUN.
Attached Images
IMG_1920.JPG (1.71 MB, 48 views)
donutrunengine.JPG (840.8 KB, 44 views)
P8061224.JPG (643.7 KB, 52 views)
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Expensive. Only BFG's and Coopers are exported to Finland as i know, and i searched extensively when bough those. Those would cost me well over a grand shipped and tolled here in Finland. I already paid almost 700$ from my Coopers.

Ive been even thinking of giving up of RWL tires just to get "driveable" ones.
Of course it would be easy choice if my hobby car would be strictly street driven near my house, i could just look forecast.
But i like to drive long distances, visiting summer cottage, and even yearly trip to Europe with it, so i cant count to forecasts.

Well, need to think about it. Not in a hurry, plenty of snow on ground, and half a year to summer vacation.
Old January 25th, 2017, 01:38 PM

1976 Cutlass S 442

1976 Cutlass S 442 fully optioned
Exterior needs new paint and stripes, new vinyl roof...
Engine: 550 hp rebuilt 455 buick aluminum stage 1 heads (464 cu in) (still have original olds 455 but very tired) rebuilt th400 trans with shift kit.
3:72 gears. Will go 275/65/15 rears, 235/60/15 fronts with cragars s/s. Ram Air hood ordered.
Needs interior restoration......
Lots of work to do and many parts to look for.
What are your suggested 73-77 interior parts stores (online)?
I am looking for a rear spoiler for my 76. Where could I find it?
Anyone is going with a B&M Megasifter on his 73-77 floor console?
Pics plzz...

Last edited by Bassemaa93; January 25th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Hookers under Hood

Dave,

How would you rate the Mickey Thompson Sportsmans you have over the BFG's,
I find the BFG's last a good 7 years before cracking and compound hardening up.

Thanks
Eric
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by zodiacblue442
Cool thread for 73-77 Olds! I'm a little late posting, but life's events the last couple of months have been stressful and I haven't been on ClassicOlds much.

Anyway, I've got a 73 442 that I've owned since 1998 and fully restored. I also have a 74 Cutlass Supreme I've owned since 1991 It's still in good condition but it's on my list to restore. My latest acquisition from 2011 is a 74 Hurst/Olds W30 that is currently in restoration/storage status. My brother and I also own a 75 Cutlass Supreme 4 dr. 1/4 mile drag race car that we've raced since 2005.

Pics of my 442, Supreme and H/O are attached.
Thanks for coming aboard our stickered thread Gary,

Awesome pics, Good to see you added "Donutrun' as well.
Nice to have you here, your feedback and assistance to us guys is very valuable and welcomed.
Looking forward to hearing more from you !!
Cheers
Eric
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:15 PM

I've owned several 1974-1975 Hurst/Olds over the years. My first car in high school in 1986 was a 1975 Cutlass Supreme, followed by a really nice black 1977 Cutlass Supreme. I've always had a soft spot for the '73-'77 Colonnade cars and a black 1973 Hurst/Olds is on my keep-forever bucket list. Currently, I have a white 1975 Hurst/Olds that a rescued from being a parts car. It was stored in a barn for 25 years. I got it running and will be for sale soon to help fund my 1970 442 convertible Indy pace car resto.
Attached Images
IMG_7261.JPG (1.74 MB, 45 views)
IMG_7260.JPG (1.76 MB, 41 views)
IMG_7262.JPG (1.93 MB, 43 views)
20161118_152520.jpg (3.24 MB, 45 views)
20161118_152612 (1).jpg (3.14 MB, 48 views)
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Dave,

How would you rate the Mickey Thompson Sportsmans you have over the BFG's,
I find the BFG's last a good 7 years before cracking and compound hardening up.

Thanks
Eric

The oldest set of Mickeys that I have are date coded late 2008 and there is no signs of deterioration on the tires. The S/T from Mickey is a better tire than the BFG Radial TA & the Cooper. I have run all three brands & Mickey is the better choice.

Quick Reply: 73-77 Olds guys, how many here?