Windshield sprayer/mister

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:35 PM

Windshield sprayer/mister

So I am ALMOST ready to take this thing in for JCI inspection and get it rolling legally here on the roads in Japan. One thing I know they will fail me on is my lack of windshield sprayer. The pump works and sprays the windshield just fine, but only when I hotwire it with a 12v wire from the battery. The switch does nothing. Also interesting to not is when I flip the 2 wired plug around the other way and plug it in, the washer pump stays on full time. I'm thinking bad switch? I can't find one from autozone, butI have found one on ebay for like $45 shipped which seems a bit steep but nothing I can really do. Any inputs?

A wiring diamgram of what is supposed to by hot when would be awesome if anybody has it ('75 Cutlass Salon)
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM

O, and I forgot to mention, the switch works for making the windshield wipers work on both low and high. Thanks!
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:03 AM

I just did some trouble shooting. When I push the wiper switch to "wash" the wipers will work, but no spray. I hooked a test light up to the two wire plug going in to the motor and one is always hot, while the other is grounded. The switch makes no difference in the grounded wire but again, the wipers work on wash (as well as low and high speeds.) Manually giving it 12v will make the pump spray.

I took the switch apart just for ***** and grins and scratched up all the contacts to make sure everything was connecting okay and put it all back together. All of the pieces seem to be in order and nothing looks awfully corroded. I also changed the fuse just for good measure and checked it with the test light. It's getting 12v. I don't want to have to jerry rig this with a switch, but it's an option. I need to find where the switched wire (blue with a white stripe) goes I guess?

2011-07-11183941.jpg

The blue wire with the white stripe does not see a ground or power with the washer switch, but the yellow is always hot. Interestingly the post on the pump the blue wire is connected to always has a ground. From what little I've found, the blue wire should get a switched ground, right? And the posts on the pump shouldn't have anything until the harness is plugged in?

On the other terminal, the black always has ground, yellow is always hot, and light blue is hot when the wipers aren't on, and grounded when the low's are on. Didn't test on high.

Last edited by SkylinesSuck; July 11th, 2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck
I need to find where the switched wire (blue with a white stripe) goes I guess?
Should go to the washer switch.

[quote=SkylinesSuck;299184] The blue wire with the white stripe does not see a ground or power with the washer switch, quote]
It should get grounded when the button is pushed. Short it to ground in the engine bay and you should at least hear a click from the solenoid in the motor unit.

the yellow is always hot.
Right.

Interestingly the post on the pump the blue wire is connected to always has a ground. From what little I've found, the blue wire should get a switched ground, right? And the posts on the pump shouldn't have anything until the harness is plugged in?
That is my thinking. This is the way the early 70's work and it appears the 75 has the same setup, unless there are some small deviations...

On the other terminal, the black always has ground, yellow is always hot, and light blue is hot when the wipers aren't on, and grounded when the low's are on. Didn't test on high.
I do not think the black wire is a direct ground, but is rather a low impedance path through the motor.
The switch itself should have a ground - make sure that is there and connected well.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Everything you ever wanted to know about windshield wiper motors and washers.

Be sure to look at the "round" "depressed park" motor and washer information.

And just to review:
Yellow = Hot to both Wiper motor and Washer solenoid
Dark Blue = Washer control - goes to ground when WASH button pressed
Light Blue = High Speed (I believe). Connects to Black with Blue stripe from switch
Black = Low Speed (I believe)

Note that in the OFF position, the Black wire is connected to ground (to run the PARK circuit), in the LOW position, both the Black and the LIGHT BLUE wires are connected to ground, and in the HIGH position, only the LIGHT BLUE wire is connected to ground.
(I could have the Black and Light Blue wires reversed throughout this post - easy enough to tell with a voltmeter).

- Eric
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Well, as mentioned, the pump shows ground all by itself with nothing connected on the blue w/ white stripe terminal. Could that be an indication of a burnt out motor or internal short in the motor or something? Also, the switch does not change anything (ground or hot) on the blue w/white stripe wire. I almost seems like both the motor AND the switch are bad, but i know that's unlikely, especially since the switch works fine for the wipers and the pump works with both posts seeing 12v. Maybe this year is different?

I'm going through the FSM now and will try some of the troubleshooting steps when I get home then report back. Thanks for the input guys.
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Well, Willidog came over the other day and showed me something that helped. I thought pushing the button down to "mist" was supposed to make it spray, but he pointed out I have to push the button in for wash. It still doesn't work, but now at least I can see pushing the switch does in fact give me a switched ground on the blue wire. Problem is the post on the pump is always grounded still. I took the cover off and looked but couldn't find anything obvious, so I guess I need a new pump. I have wipers with low, high, and mist, so I don't have intermittent or delayed wipers, right?

Last edited by SkylinesSuck; July 16th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Right - no intermittent or delay.

That washer solenoid is dead simple. Problems with the washers are usually mechanical in these. Try to make sure nothing is connected wrong, maybe remove the washer assembly (it has to be re-engaged with the actuator properly when reassembled) and try to make it pull in on the bench, separate from everything else.

- Eric
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:32 AM

Got the temp pump hooked up and it works well. I'm still going to fix it with a new pump, but autozone is out of them right now (and I can't imagine they will get anymore in anytime soon.) I'm going to have to poke around a bit on different parts sites and find what I need. It just suck because autozone does free shipping to APO addresses no matter the weight. Thanks for the trouble shooting help!