What do y'all think of this '65?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 08:37 PM

What do y'all think of this '65?

1965 F-85 I am looking into buying, body looks pretty straight, interior needs little work, and the 330 leaves a little to be desired. It's got some usual rust in the trunk. I can prob talk this guy down to 5,000, worth it? 105k miles, its been sitting in a barn for 10 years, it runs and drives

Last edited by jo75olds; May 29th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice looking car. I'd take along a sensistive fridge magnet to find out where all the bondo is before you make any serious offer though. You know the spots to check. Then figure in what you're plans are to change the car. If you are ok with 5000, go for it.
Very straight looking, chrome looks to be in above average condition, original interior - even missing a rear window crank! 105K miles original? Does it have paperwork?

I've always liked the look of the 65. Although not original the SS111's do set the car off nice.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM

looks good, id go 5k for it
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:40 AM

Thanks!

The front bumper drivers side looks a little off to me, any one else seeing it?

Also looks like one of the letters on the trunk lid is missing?

Should I build up another 455 for it, take the 350 I have now and work that, or drop a LS engine in it if I get it?
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:22 AM

wow,like looking in a mirror, just looked closer and your car is very similiar to mine. beltline "h" chrome, maybe has wider "c" chrome on top of door where it meets window usualy only on verts, even the same ralley's and firestone firehawks, i paid 6500 for mine, but it is a four speed. that one looks to have a better body and paint than mine does. the bumper is easy to realign, loosen bolts on frame, twist and retighten will get it closer, hows the lower body chrome? pitted?

IMG_2833.jpg
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM

If its not loaded with bondo Id take it for that price ! Frame solid?
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jo75olds
.............. The front bumper drivers side looks a little off to me, any one else seeing it?
A little, if you mean the DS seems to stick out a little. Check the PS to see if it's in a bit. Could be a simple alignment left to right. Also, keep in mind that back in the 60's there was a LOT of tolerance for fitment. That one doesn't look that bad.

.............. Also looks like one of the letters on the trunk lid is missing?
Yes, you are missing the S. Theres a story to that. A lonely snail was the laughing stock of the seaworld community because he was always dead last at everything he did. Finally one day, in desperation, he decided to buy a fast car that would get him places days before anyone would realize he was in the race. That worked well for awhile, but being the egocentric type of snail that he was, he also wanted the recognition. So he went by an OLDSMOBILE dealership and bought up all the supply of "S" letters the dealer had, and had them fastened to his car. NOW, when everyone saw him zooming around town ahead of the pack, there was no doubt about who it was. And soon EVERYONE who saw him go by would yell out, "Hey! Look at that "S" car go!!!" (S-car go, escargot - nother name for snail)

Sorry, couldn't help it. Anyway that's why you don't have an 'S' on your car.

.............. Should I build up another 455 for it, take the 350 I have now and work that, or drop a LS engine in it if I get it?
You can do pretty much what you want, but on a smaller lighter car like that, I personally would stick with a 350. Could make it into a stroker, and bolt up a 200R4 behind it.
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:08 AM

nice 350 plus 2004R equals great gas mileage...
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Ok just wanted to make sure some one didn't hit the bumper

And those dam snails! That is one funny story though

Originally Posted by Allan R
A little, if you mean the DS seems to stick out a little. Check the PS to see if it's in a bit. Could be a simple alignment left to right. Also, keep in mind that back in the 60's there was a LOT of tolerance for fitment. That one doesn't look that bad.

Yes, you are missing the S. Theres a story to that. A lonely snail was the laughing stock of the seaworld community because he was always dead last at everything he did. Finally one day, in desperation, he decided to buy a fast car that would get him places days before anyone would realize he was in the race. That worked well for awhile, but being the egocentric type of snail that he was, he also wanted the recognition. So he went by an OLDSMOBILE dealership and bought up all the supply of "S" letters the dealer had, and had them fastened to his car. NOW, when everyone saw him zooming around town ahead of the pack, there was no doubt about who it was. And soon EVERYONE who saw him go by would yell out, "Hey! Look at that "S" car go!!!" (S-car go, escargot - nother name for snail)

Sorry, couldn't help it. Anyway that's why you don't have an 'S' on your car.

You can do pretty much what you want, but on a smaller lighter car like that, I personally would stick with a 350. Could make it into a stroker, and bolt up a 200R4 behind it.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It doesn't look like it. FYI I replaced my front bumper back in 86 with a new GM OEM factory part. It has exactly the same issues as the one in your picture. There's only so much you can do, even with factory parts.

Glad you enjoyed the snail story.
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM
car guy

Pictures can hide a lot but 5k looks like a killer deal is in person inspection revealed its as good as it looks.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM

I'm only taking a wild guess, but it may have a disk brake conversion. I only say that because of the dual master cyl. As far as I know '65's had a single master cyl.

Gene
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Not a bad looking car for the price,
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I'm only taking a wild guess, but it may have a disk brake conversion. I only say that because of the dual master cyl. As far as I know '65's had a single master cyl.

Gene
Good Eye, yes it has a front disk conversion
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:16 AM

New radio = hacked dash?
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dingusboy
New radio = hacked dash?
Thats what I thaught at first too, but its not a CD player its a tape deck. I'll throw a RetroSound radio in it prob, like I did with my '75
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
wow,like looking in a mirror, just looked closer and your car is very similiar to mine. beltline "h" chrome, maybe has wider "c" chrome on top of door where it meets window usualy only on verts, even the same ralley's and firestone firehawks, i paid 6500 for mine, but it is a four speed. that one looks to have a better body and paint than mine does. the bumper is easy to realign, loosen bolts on frame, twist and retighten will get it closer, hows the lower body chrome? pitted?

Wow yours dose look a lot like it, (kind of like the matching rims better :P )

The chrome isn't bad at all, its much better then the chrome on my '75