Throttle Cable Installation

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM

Throttle Cable Installation

Is replacing the throttle cable pretty straight forward on my 72 350 4bbl Q-jet? I realized I wasn't feeling anything from my secondaries. If I worked the carb from under the hood, it opened fine. But when I examined my cable, the end by the gas pedal had been broken and jury rigged to make it operate, but it isn't opening the carb fully. So I plan to remove the drivers seat so I can lay down and get under the dash. Any other suggestions?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM

Just take your time and don't get into a hurry. The cable has a square plug with wings on two sides where it goes through the firewall. I've had the best luck using two small flat bladed screwdrivers. use one on each side. Get the wing on one side pressed in and started through the hole, then work the other side the same way.

If you have the factory setup I believe there's a small clip and a couple thin flat washers plus a plastic bushing where it attaches to the carb. try not to drop any of them. Easy to do and a pain to track down replacements if you lose one... yeah ask me how I know

John
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Just take your time and don't get into a hurry. The cable has a square plug with wings on two sides where it goes through the firewall. I've had the best luck using two small flat bladed screwdrivers. use one on each side. Get the wing on one side pressed in and started through the hole, then work the other side the same way.
The cable attaches to the bracket on the back of the carb the same way. I've had better luck using a channel lock pliers to compress both tabs at once. Of course, if the old cable is bad, you can simply break or cut the tabs off and same the aggravation.