Power Steering won't line up

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Power Steering won't line up

Yesterday I removed my old water pump and replaced it with a brand new one. The install went great, the new pump is in and it looks sweet.

My problem now is that I can't get my power steering pully to line up properly. I think I lost one of the bolts along the way. I'm not happy about it.

Any advice here would be appreciated.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM

Also, I downloaded the service manual online, but it was missing the water pump section, so if anyone has that it would certainly help.
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by eazy
Yesterday I removed my old water pump and replaced it with a brand new one. The install went great, the new pump is in and it looks sweet.

My problem now is that I can't get my power steering pully to line up properly. I think I lost one of the bolts along the way. I'm not happy about it.

Any advice here would be appreciated.
First, I assume you verified that the new water pump is the same length as the old one. If so, you've missed installing at least one of the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and the block.

Power steering pump spacer dimensions and drawing
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:42 AM

This thread may help you out...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ater-pump.html

I had this issue, too. The PS pump lower bracket to block spacer stick to the block and drop later. When i found the leftover part, it helped in reinstallation!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/2575146067/

It has happened to many of us...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tify-part.html
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First, I assume you verified that the new water pump is the same length as the old one. If so, you've missed installing at least one of the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and the block.

Power steering pump spacer dimensions and drawing
Yes, the pump was the same, it was just the power steering that was crooked. When i unbolted the lower bracket a large nut dropped out and i had no idea where it came from. Now i think it may have been that spacer?
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by eazy
Yes, the pump was the same, it was just the power steering that was crooked. When i unbolted the lower bracket a large nut dropped out and i had no idea where it came from. Now i think it may have been that spacer?
Here's a hint: If a part comes out during disassembly, there's a good chance it needs to go back in upon reassembly.

If the part that fell out really was a large nut instead of a cylindrical spacer, then a previous owner has lost the original spacer. I MIGHT have done this once or twice myself...
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I think that the post with the drawing and dimensions of the bushings will look really good on MDchanics sainthood application! It saved MY bacon, that is for sure!
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
I think that the post with the drawing and dimensions of the bushings will look really good on MDchanics sainthood application! It saved MY bacon, that is for sure!
I second that. After studying that diagram I realized what needed to be done.

Total time on the install including breaks was around 10 hours. I'm curious how long it takes you experienced guys. I never got the nut back in the lower bracket, instead I just jammed it in behind the bracket on top of the bolt and tightened it down. I would like to get it fastened in properly once i can get some help. I think I also might be missing the bottom right bolt on the pump itself. I can't really see, but my friend says he put it in and i dont trust that so i'll double check. Drove it around 60 miles and all seems well; it is much quieter than it was before. Well with no further ado:
20130630_172533_zpse68cab7b.jpg
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:05 AM

Am I seeing a gap between the fan clutch and the water pump pulley? And are there spacers or washers between the fan clutch and pulley? The fan clutch should sit flush against the pulley and there should be lock washers under the fan clutch nuts. Did you install the lock washers between the fan clutch and pulley? Hard to tell but something doesn't look right to me.
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Am I seeing a gap between the fan clutch and the water pump pulley? And are there spacers or washers between the fan clutch and pulley? The fan clutch should sit flush against the pulley and there should be lock washers under the fan clutch nuts. Did you install the lock washers between the fan clutch and pulley? Hard to tell but something doesn't look right to me.
I agree. It looks like the fan is not seated against the pulley face. Not good, it means the nuts are loose. Could come apart and cause extensive damage
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM

Good catch. Mistake on my part I was rushing. Will be fixed tomorrow. And yes it the lock washer.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know how long that job would take me if I did it straight through, mostly because it takes longer than I'd like to fully scrape off the gasket surfaces and make sure they're clean, and also because I need to fully compare the old and new pumps after the pump is off, which means I have to wait until then to douse the new pump in lacquer thinner to remove the oily protectant and spray on a coat of the appropriate color of engine paint.
I guess it's probably about 2 hours start to finish, including emptying and refilling antifreeze and hunting for those tools that have wandered off when I wasn't looking.

... And, yes, DO take off that bottom bolt and attach the spacer properly, or you will lose it at a bad time, and be unhappy.

Good job, though, and, once you've gotten the bugs out of it, you'll know it was done right.

- Eric