Power Steering gear box

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Power Steering gear box

My gear box has a leak. It is coming from the front of the gear box in the inside of the circle around the gasket (it faces the ground). My question is would it be a problem to try to seal it with silicone?
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Past Administrator

I doubt silicone would work, although my mechanic buddy used to work at a Toyota dealer and he said they had some stuff that could be applied to a wet, greasy engine block that would seal and hold so I guess if you could find something like that it would work. Isn't it just a seal? Maybe you could replace it, even if it meant laying on your back under the car to do it (as if we all haven't done that before).
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nohn
My gear box has a leak. It is coming from the front of the gear box in the inside of the circle around the gasket (it faces the ground). My question is would it be a problem to try to seal it with silicone?
Are you talking about the end of the box opposite the steering shaft? If so, the end cap is held in with a snap ring and sealed with an o-ring. I doubt silicone will do much of anything. Are you sure this is where the leak is originating? This is not a normal leak point for the Saginaw box and frequently the leak will run down and drip off the lowest point, making it difficult to see the actual origin.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Thanks Odlsguy, but it is hard to find stuff like that here in Italy. The only place we have here to get car stuff is the Auto Port on base.

You are right Joe the leak isn't coming from the end cap. I started the car and wiped the fluid off of the box to find where the leak was coming from. There is a small hole right above the end cap (it feels like it has a screw in it) and that's where the fluid is leaking from.

Is it possible to stop the leak by changing the snap ring, sealed, and o-ring? Is this a difficult job to do? I need to be able to do it myself because I don't want to let an Italian touch my car again.