floor shifter needed 72 cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM

floor shifter needed 72 cutlass supreme

Hi my automatic floor shifter for my 72 cutlass supreme broke off in the middle, so I now have to shift with a channel lock pliers, does anyone have one for sale? Everything else is ok just the cast piece that connects to the walnut **** and floor broke in half, thanks for your help.David
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

P1010217.jpg

Here is a pic from member 2blu442. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s/2blu442.html . Hopefully he still has this part. I'd send him a message first.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM

I was getting ready to sell one on ebay, but if you don't have one already I will sell you mine. I'll have to dig it out and determine a price, send you pictures, etc. Chumley
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM

thanks just let me know how much.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM

What's wrong with the adjustable jaw type shift handle?? It's chrome and has a cool look to it...sort of a Hurst Verti-Gate look. Made in USA and it won't break like those diecast chrome originals.

You can even run a strip of black pinstripe tape up one side if you want more of a factory look.

Merry Christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3657.JPG (46.7 KB, 20 views)
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
What's wrong with the adjustable jaw type shift handle?? It's chrome and has a cool look to it...sort of a Hurst Verti-Gate look. Made in USA and it won't break like those diecast chrome originals.

You can even run a strip of black pinstripe tape up one side if you want more of a factory look.

Merry Christmas
Now thats funny,
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM

David, I have a handle by itself. Is that all you need? The part # on the handle is 396724. I believe they used the same part from 69-72. However the pressed in pin (see photo) that connects to the cable is only about 1" long. On other shifters I have seen, it is longer. Did you save the broken handle? If so you can swap the correct one. Also the handle is missing the spring retainer.(see photo) Again, you can use the one from your broken one. The chrome is not too bad as far as these parts go. There is some minor pitting, but not as bad as the few scratches it has. If your'e still interested I can try to get some better pictures up close. OR, I have a complete shifter with base and the longer shift cable pin (chrome on handle is comparable to the other handle). Let me know, and I'll PM you with price and additional pictures if you want. Thanks, Chumley
Attached Images
shifthandle1.jpg (31.9 KB, 15 views)
shifthandle2.jpg (39.8 KB, 19 views)
Old December 26th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chumley
David, I have a handle by itself. Is that all you need? The part # on the handle is 396724. I believe they used the same part from 69-72. However the pressed in pin (see photo) that connects to the cable is only about 1" long. On other shifters I have seen, it is longer. Did you save the broken handle? If so you can swap the correct one. Also the handle is missing the spring retainer.(see photo) Again, you can use the one from your broken one. The chrome is not too bad as far as these parts go. There is some minor pitting, but not as bad as the few scratches it has. If your'e still interested I can try to get some better pictures up close. OR, I have a complete shifter with base and the longer shift cable pin (chrome on handle is comparable to the other handle). Let me know, and I'll PM you with price and additional pictures if you want. Thanks, Chumley
It looks like the right one, I need to go check the part, my shifter broke right before the pin, which is 1 and 1/4 inches long.there is no part number on my shifter handle where is the number located ,

Last edited by David Lidenberg; December 26th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM

David, I think I got it figured out. 70-72 shifters used the shorter pin(the one I have is 1 1/4" like you said) and 68-69 used the longer one. I have 2 bases but they are for 68-69. One of them has the bottom part of the handle still attached, which broke off as yours did, right above the pin. Apparently this is a weak spot in the handle. So the handle I have is the correct one if you still want it. Chumley
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chumley
David, I think I got it figured out. 70-72 shifters used the shorter pin(the one I have is 1 1/4" like you said) and 68-69 used the longer one. I have 2 bases but they are for 68-69. One of them has the bottom part of the handle still attached, which broke off as yours did, right above the pin. Apparently this is a weak spot in the handle. So the handle I have is the correct one if you still want it. Chumley
yeah I will buy it from you, let me know what u need, thanks David
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM

David, I sent you a PM.
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:32 PM

the part is the one I needed thanks again.