Edlebrock Carb AC plate

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM

Edlebrock Carb AC plate

I just got done posting on the newbie forum and the members here know far more about the 65 cars than I. So, the car I have has an Edlebrock carb that reminds me on the top of a quadrajet 4bbl. The stock air cleaner housing which is original is mounted on it. (the manifold is also a slight high rise which I think is also Edlebrock) There is a plate that fits on the carb and the air cleaner element goes on it then the air cleaner goes on over this. It looks great and I think that this is a typical carb set up that I have seen on another Cutlass 330 cid engine. What I would like to know is, is this the BEST way to attach the original air cleaner housing when using this carb? If needed I can supply pictures. Any info would greatly be appreciated.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jRoofgunner
I just got done posting on the newbie forum and the members here know far more about the 65 cars than I. So, the car I have has an Edlebrock carb that reminds me on the top of a quadrajet 4bbl. The stock air cleaner housing which is original is mounted on it. (the manifold is also a slight high rise which I think is also Edlebrock) There is a plate that fits on the carb and the air cleaner element goes on it then the air cleaner goes on over this. It looks great and I think that this is a typical carb set up that I have seen on another Cutlass 330 cid engine. What I would like to know is, is this the BEST way to attach the original air cleaner housing when using this carb? If needed I can supply pictures. Any info would greatly be appreciated.
I'm kind of struggling to understand what your question is, but let me take a shot.

First, let's confirm that your carb is, in fact, an E-brock, which should look like this:

The stock carb would have been a Rochester 4GC, that looks like this:

Next, the stock air cleaner has two parts, the large upper part...

...and a lower base plate that fits over the carb and mounts the air filter:

If you do have an Ebrock carb, it uses a 5-1/8" diameter air horn (the size of the hole in the air cleaner base) that is common to most modern 4BBL carbs. The original Rochester 4GC used a smaller a 4-5/8" diameter air horn. The stock air cleaner base has this smaller size hole and obviously doesn't fit the larger Ebrock carb. The 1966-67 cars came with a Qjet that used the larger 5-1/8" air horn, so if you can get the base from a 1966-67 air cleaner it will fit the Ebrock carb and you stock air cleaner top.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM

When fitting mystery air cleaners on your car, I learned to roll up a small ball of clay and place it center on the air cleaner wing nut rod. Close the hood slowly and observe the squish of the clay. Sometimes, even a fraction of an inch higher of the threaded center rod, let's say raised to hold the lid on, punches a ding in the hood when you slam it.

Ask me how I know.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM

Joe and White Knuckles,
You have answered my question. I will find the air cleaner base and make it correct. I do have the original carb but it isn't in to good of a condition and maybe I will work on it but I will leave the Edlebrock on the car. The hood clearance is fine. Thanks for the info. I have the ability to paint, etc
I'll get some photos also..

Last edited by jRoofgunner; December 23rd, 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more info